Pence 2024 Run Thread

Polds4OSU

Sheriff
Patreon Supporter
Reports that Pence will join the GOP Race on June 6th

Reuters) - Former Vice President Mike Pence and former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie are planning to enter the race for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination next week in long-shot challenges to the dominance of front-runner Donald Trump.

Christie, who advised Trump's campaign in 2016 only to become a vocal critic of the former president, will formally announce his 2024 campaign on June 6, a person familiar with the matter said.

Pence, who incurred Trump's wrath by refusing to support his effort to overturn the results of the 2020 election, is set to enter the race against his former boss on June 7, three sources familiar with the situation told Reuters.

North Dakota Governor Doug Burgum is also planning to enter race on the same day as Pence, according to a person familiar with Burgum's plans.

The growing Republican field concerns many Trump opponents inside the Republican Party. They fear a large number of challengers will splinter the anti-Trump vote and hand the party's nomination to the former president, who can rely on at least 30% of the Republican base to back him.

Trump has a massive polling lead in a Republican field that now has more than 10 declared or almost-declared candidates. His nearest challenger is Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, who entered the race last week.

On Wednesday, Pence's polling average in the Republican field was less than 4%, compared to Trump's 53%, according to a RealClearPolitics average of polls. Christie to date has barely registered in the polls.

Pence will launch his campaign with a video and a speech in the early nominating state of Iowa, the sources said.

A staunch social conservative who stood by Trump throughout his time in his office, Pence has increasingly distanced himself from the former Republican president since his election defeat, saying Trump's encouragement of the rioters who attacked the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, put him and his family in danger.

Pence, who turns 64 on June 7, has continued to embrace many of Trump's policies, while portraying himself as an even-keeled and consensus-oriented alternative. He has also appealed more directly to the evangelical Christian community.

The success of his campaign will hinge on whether he can attract enough backers of Trump's policies who are turned off by the former president's rhetoric and behavior to build a viable coalition.

Christie, 60, enters the race as a decided underdog, six years after his 2016 presidential campaign failed to gain traction amid a crowded field that included Trump. Only 1% of Republicans said he would be their preferred 2024 nominee in a Reuters/Ipsos poll conducted May 9-15.

Christie will officially launch his campaign at a town hall at Saint Anselm College in the early nominating state of New Hampshire on Tuesday, the person familiar with the matter said.

Other Republicans who have entered the race include U.S. Senator Tim Scott and former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley.

Couple of things. No way I’d have pegged Pence as just 64, and no way anyone would vote for him! He was implicit in way too many shenanigans before finally finding some balls in the final hours of the Trump presidency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of things. No way I’d have pegged Pence as just 64, and no way anyone would vote for him! He was implicit in way too many shenanigans before finally finding some balls in the final hours of the Trump presidency.

I’m 66 and have voted for Republican Presidential candidates since I was 18. If Trump is on the ballot I’ll vote democrat for the first time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Finding some balls and simply did his job. That is it. He did what he was legally required to do.

I’m 66 and have voted for Republican Presidential candidates since I was 18. If Trump is on the ballot I’ll vote democrat for the first time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I’d vote Pence before Biden if that’s my choices, but no way he’s getting past a couple of primaries before he drops out. I’m really hoping for a (somewhat) clean slate on both sides.

Pence calls for ‘different leadership’ in presidential launch video​

Former Vice President Mike Pence announced his presidential run in a roughly three-minute video on Wednesday, saying “different times call for different leadership.”

“I have long believed, to whom much is given, much will be required,” Pence said in the video, titled “Best Days.” “My family and I have been blessed beyond measure with opportunities to serve this nation, and it’d be easy to stay on the sidelines. But that's not how I was raised. That's why today, before God and my family, I'm announcing I'm running for president of the United States.”

Pence, who filed paperwork to run for president on Monday, will face off against close to a dozen other GOP candidates who have entered the race. But the biggest challenge will be from his former running-mate and the current Republican presidential front-runner, former President Donald Trump — an unprecedented matchup between candidates of the same party who have shared a ticket.

The video was released ahead of a kickoff event in Iowa on Wednesday. The former congressman and former Indiana governor, who’s relationship with Trump shifted after the Jan. 6 riots, did not include any open digs at the former president in his announcement video. Instead, he blasted the Biden administration and the left for the economic and immigration policies, while decrying the “assault” on “timeless American values.”

“We can turn this country around, but different times call for different leadership,” Pence said. “Today our party and our country need a leader that will appeal, as Lincoln said, to ‘the better angels of our nature.’”

Though the conservative Christian candidate is lagging in the polls, his campaign is looking to get a foothold with evangelical voters in Iowa.

“God is not done with America,” Pence said in the video. “The best days for the greatest nation on Earth are yet to come. God bless you. And God bless the United States of America.”

Does Mike Pence support a federal ban on gender-affirming care for kids? 'You bet,' he says​

Republican presidential candidate Mike Pence said Wednesday in Iowa that he would support a national ban on gender-affirming care for transgender minors.

"If there was a move in the Congress to protect children from this radical gender ideology and to ban chemical or surgical transition treatment for kids under the age of 18, you bet I would support it," Pence told the Des Moines Register.

While attempts at federal legislation have been limited, 19 Republican-led states, including Iowa, have passed laws to prohibit transgender people under 18 from accessing transition-related medical care, such as hormone blockers, cross-sex hormones, or gender-affirming surgeries.

The American Medical Association, American Psychological Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics all recommend providing transgender kids with gender-affirming medical care. Medical professionals in Iowa told state lawmakers that these treatments can be life-saving for transgender children.

In an interview after his Ankeny campaign kickoff, Pence said he would a national ban for minors but said adults "have every right to live how they want to live."

Pence has previously criticized a Linn-Mar school district policy that allowed transgender students in seventh grade or beyond to request accommodations, such as using different pronouns, without requiring parental consent.

Republicans in several red states have intensified their focus on LGBTQ-related issues, exploring bans on drag shows, prohibiting discussion of gender identity or sexual orientation in schools, and legislating bathroom access for transgender people.

So far, the battle has been waged primarily in state legislatures, with few attempts at nationwide legislation.

Pence says pushing for abortion restrictions is ‘winning issue’ for GOP​

Hell no. We were there far too long. More time there would not have led to different results, just more deaths and expenditures. It was a giant money hole.
There were only around 8k troops left at the time of the withdrawal and we hadn't had a fatality in almost a year and a half. Instead the Biden withdrawal was a disaster of epic proportions and we left a vacuum (we always do) that is being filled as we speak. We should have drawn down to 2-3 thousand troops and kept our base. We also left about 9k of our citizens and countless others stranded over there.

The withdrawal was a complete shitshow the likes of which we've never seen.

There were only around 8k troops left at the time of the withdrawal and we hadn't had a fatality in almost a year and a half. Instead the Biden withdrawal was a disaster of epic proportions and we left a vacuum (we always do) that is being filled as we speak. We should have drawn down to 2-3 thousand troops and kept our base. We also left about 9k of our citizens and countless others stranded over there.

The withdrawal was a complete shitshow the likes of which we've never seen.
Spoken like a true fiscal conservative.....not.

It would have been an (edit: poopshow) under Bush, Obama, Trump or whoever else would have been president. The only reason why deaths had dropped is because the US and the taliban had an agreement for the US to withdraw on a timetable, so they didnt push the issue. Guess who made the agreement?

No empire has successfully held afghanistan for a long period of time and there is no national identity, only a tribal one. Which is why those efforts have always failed. We should have gotten our equipment out and given it to Ukraine instead.

This is probably the best example of why one cannot export democracy. If the people don't want it, and not everyone does, its not going to stick.

Last edited:
Spoken like a true fiscal conservative.....not.

It would have been a shitshow under Bush, Obama, Trump or whoever else would have been president. The only reason why deaths had dropped is because the US and the taliban had an agreement for the US to withdraw on a timetable, so they didnt push the issue. Guess who made the agreement?

No empire has successfully held afghanistan for a long period of time and there is no national identity, only a tribal one. Which is why those efforts have always failed. We should have gotten our equipment out and given it to Ukraine instead.

This is probably the best example of why one cannot export democracy. If the people don't want it, and not everyone does, its not going to stick.
I’m betting they would take some of that democracy right about now and I’m calling BS on the others screwing up the withdrawal. It might have been messy but I can’t imagine anyone F’ing it up like Biden. What a disaster.

I’m betting they would take some of that democracy right about now and I’m calling BS on the others screwing up the withdrawal. It might have been messy but I can’t imagine anyone F’ing it up like Biden. What a disaster.
That just shows your bias. Ever read about how other empires exodus from Afghanistan has gone?

This is why invading countries is a bad idea. One has to leave and generally the people who were invaded aren't going to be sad you're leaving. They will revert back to what they want.

Back