Interview with Coach Gundy

BS. 2021 was a great season, or have you forgotten?
Yes, because we had a once in a generation defense (still cannot believe we let Knowles go over a few hundred thousand dollars), Jaylen Warren and SS. Our offense was garbage and has been for several years. How many coaches would keep Dunn and Dickey in those positions for that long, when it’s obviously not working?

It’s ONE game. That is more like hitting some turbulence, not a full minute going toward the ground. If it stretches to 6 games then I MIGHT agree with you.
It's not one game. Do you not remember how last season ended? Were you out of the country when so many players hit the transfer portal? Have you been absent the last several years of poor recruiting and offensive decline?

I just want to say this one more time - for those who are coming in talking about it being one bad game and that Gundy has been a consistent winner over his tenure here...

To me, right now, this is not about winning and losing. To me, this is about integrity, accountability, and the pride we all have in our program, school, and brand.

I was never prouder of Gundy than I was when he stood up after that Notre Dame win and said "we got a logo too". It felt like an announcement to the rest of the country, timed absolutely beautifuly, that Oklahoma State is going to take over the new Big 12 and be in the national narrative. He seemed re-energized by the new leadership at the school with Shrum and Weinberg. He seemed excited to get rid of Texas and OU. He seemed to understand the direction the Big 12 wanted to go under Yormark and how Oklahoma State could become the new darling of the conference.

So I sit here now, on the anniversary of the "I'm a man, I'm 40!" speech, and I wonder... what happened to this man?

I dont believe I'm being a spoiled fan when I demand accountability and passion. I'm not an absolutist - I understand there are ebbs and flows in building a program. I can deal with losing seasons when they come our way, and in any other year I would have had full belief in Gundy to bounce us back and make us proud again.

I look over at Boynton, a coach who has not demonstrated the capacity to win consistently at our school - and while, yes, I demand that accountability from a wins/loss perspective - I also see a group of men who go out and compete for their coach each and every time. I never question his passion, dedication, or accountability to us, as a school. And for that, he has earned my respect and patience.

What has turned me, a career-long supporter of Gundy, off to him through three games this season is not the "what"... its the "how" and the "why".

I sat down with my fiancee to watch that South Alabama game, and I looked at our sidelines on TV and I saw a group of players who seemed uninterested in being there. Through each and every interview Gundy has given, I see a man who is pointing fingers ("well, who would YOU play?"), and refusing to hold himself accountable to the changing landscape of college football and the new wave of player personalities that it breeds.

Reports of him not believing in NIL, not caring if players get paid - and then this half-hearted, embarrassing "press release" from our NIL arm of the university... this is not how you are going to build a program in 2023.

Now, if you are still with me through all of this rambling - allow me to say, I do want to believe in this man again. I want Gundy to get that fire lit under him once more, and to be able to stand up on a stage and have the swagger of "we have a logo too".

But in order to do that, he needs to remember he is part of something bigger than he is. He is not above that logo. It ain't about job security in my eyes. its about pride.

He needs to find that pride again.

I just want to say this one more time - for those who are coming in talking about it being one bad game and that Gundy has been a consistent winner over his tenure here...

To me, right now, this is not about winning and losing. To me, this is about integrity, accountability, and the pride we all have in our program, school, and brand.

I was never prouder of Gundy than I was when he stood up after that Notre Dame win and said "we got a logo too". It felt like an announcement to the rest of the country, timed absolutely beautifuly, that Oklahoma State is going to take over the new Big 12 and be in the national narrative. He seemed re-energized by the new leadership at the school with Shrum and Weinberg. He seemed excited to get rid of Texas and OU. He seemed to understand the direction the Big 12 wanted to go under Yormark and how Oklahoma State could become the new darling of the conference.

So I sit here now, on the anniversary of the "I'm a man, I'm 40!" speech, and I wonder... what happened to this man?

I dont believe I'm being a spoiled fan when I demand accountability and passion. I'm not an absolutist - I understand there are ebbs and flows in building a program. I can deal with losing seasons when they come our way, and in any other year I would have had full belief in Gundy to bounce us back and make us proud again.

I look over at Boynton, a coach who has not demonstrated the capacity to win consistently at our school - and while, yes, I demand that accountability from a wins/loss perspective - I also see a group of men who go out and compete for their coach each and every time. I never question his passion, dedication, or accountability to us, as a school. And for that, he has earned my respect and patience.

What has turned me, a career-long supporter of Gundy, off to him through three games this season is not the "what"... its the "how" and the "why".

I sat down with my fiancee to watch that South Alabama game, and I looked at our sidelines on TV and I saw a group of players who seemed uninterested in being there. Through each and every interview Gundy has given, I see a man who is pointing fingers ("well, who would YOU play?"), and refusing to hold himself accountable to the changing landscape of college football and the new wave of player personalities that it breeds.

Reports of him not believing in NIL, not caring if players get paid - and then this half-hearted, embarrassing "press release" from our NIL arm of the university... this is not how you are going to build a program in 2023.

Now, if you are still with me through all of this rambling - allow me to say, I do want to believe in this man again. I want Gundy to get that fire lit under him once more, and to be able to stand up on a stage and have the swagger of "we have a logo too".

But in order to do that, he needs to remember he is part of something bigger than he is. He is not above that logo. It ain't about job security in my eyes. its about pride.

applause.gif

Any "awww-shucksers" white knighting for Gundy at this point are either more than OK with the program's race to the bottom or are in complete denial.

Yes, because we had a once in a generation defense (still cannot believe we let Knowles go over a few hundred thousand dollars), Jaylen Warren and SS. Our offense was garbage and has been for several years. How many coaches would keep Dunn and Dickey in those positions for that long, when it’s obviously not working?
I still don’t understand how you or anyone else think that we were capable of keeping Knowles when he wanted to go where he went. We couldn’t outbid Ohio State. It was close to home for him. It is a more prestigious job . There isn’t any way we could have kept him.

Good post but Boynton needs to go to. Most of us on here could match his passion, and probably get close to his win totals!

I already have a job. I've been criticized, I took what I thought was important from the criticism, and I hope I've improved.
Did you criticize them where they can see it or just on ridemcowboys? 99% of us have jobs, that’s why they’re using volunteers. Full transparency I agree with your sentiment but it’s going to require hard action by a lot of people.

I still don’t understand how you or anyone else think that we were capable of keeping Knowles when he wanted to go where he went. We couldn’t outbid Ohio State. It was close to home for him. It is a more prestigious job . There isn’t any way we could have kept him.
It's been a while and of course the old board is gone but the word was back then he was asking for either 1.5 or 1.6 and said he would stay for that.

I guess I'm assuming he was being truthful but it was only after our offer was lower than what he was asking that he took the other job.

Maybe I'm dumb but I feel like if that's what he was actually asking, and we offered him 1.3, that extra 2-300k per year that we didn't spend then has really cost us a lot more than than it's worth.

It's been a while and of course the old board is gone but the word was back then he was asking for either 1.5 or 1.6 and said he would stay for that.

I guess I'm assuming he was being truthful but it was only after our offer was lower than what he was asking that he took the other job.

Maybe I'm dumb but I feel like if that's what he was actually asking, and we offered him 1.3, that extra 2-300k per year that we didn't spend then has really cost us a lot more than than it's worth.
And that was false

Did you criticize them where they can see it or just on ridemcowboys? 99% of us have jobs, that’s why they’re using volunteers. Full transparency I agree with your sentiment but it’s going to require hard action by a lot of people.
Every Longhorn lineman on scholarship receives $50,000 a year. (You read that right.) So the people who *chose* this kind of work have a lot to do.

Back