WSJ: What’s Missing in the Trump Indictment

RxCowboy

Ranger
Patreon Supporter
What’s Missing in the Trump Indictment
For the charges to be felonies, Alvin Bragg needs a second crime. What is it?
By The Editorial Board
April 4, 2023 6:49 pm ET

The public can now read Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s indictment against former President Trump, as well as his more voluble “statement of facts,” but the speculation and leaks of recent weeks were well informed. There are few surprises, except perhaps astonishment that Mr. Bragg’s case looks even weaker than we expected.

Mr. Trump “repeatedly and fraudulently falsified New York business records to conceal criminal conduct that hid damaging information from the voting public during the 2016 presidential election,” the DA says. The charges are based on the $130,000 that former Trump fixer Michael Cohen paid to hush up Stormy Daniels about her alleged affair with Mr. Trump. Mr. Cohen was reimbursed via a monthly retainer “disguised as a payment for legal services.”

The 34 counts in the indictment are each for an individual business record: invoices from Mr. Cohen, reimbursement checks from Mr. Trump, ledger entries at the Trump Organization. Mr. Bragg has padded the indictment this way to include nearly three dozen counts, but they describe the same conduct. The DA’s statement of facts also brings up Mr. Trump’s coordination with the tabloid mavens at the National Enquirer to kill other allegations, but this is superfluous window dressing.

Here’s the big question that Mr. Bragg still hasn’t adequately answered: Where is the second crime? Recall that falsifying business records is a misdemeanor in New York. It’s a felony only if the books were cooked with “an intent to commit another crime or to aid or conceal the commission thereof.” When Mr. Trump worked out this reimbursement arrangement with Mr. Cohen, what other crime was he allegedly trying to cover up?

The leading theory going into Tuesday was that Mr. Bragg would claim a violation of campaign-finance laws, and he does. The $130,000 to Ms. Daniels “was illegal,” the DA says flatly, noting that Mr. Cohen “has since pleaded guilty to making an illegal campaign contribution and served time in prison.” But Mr. Cohen’s guilty plea hardly makes this point indisputable, and in fact Mr. Cohen seems to regret lately how he handled his case.

He also pleaded guilty to tax evasion. “The lies by the Southern District of New York against me for the tax evasion, I actually hope it comes out,” Mr. Cohen told CNN last week. “I have all the documents to show. There was no tax evasion.” Is this the guy Mr. Bragg is hoping to make into his star witness?

Brad Smith, a former member of the Federal Election Commission, has argued the money to Ms. Daniels didn’t constitute a campaign expenditure. “People pay hush money even if they’re not running for office. They buy clothes, get haircuts, settle lawsuits, make charitable contributions,” Mr. Smith wrote on Twitter. Political candidates also buy clothes, maybe more expensive ones than they otherwise would, but that doesn’t make it a campaign expense.

At a press conference Tuesday, Mr. Bragg was given a second shot to explain what other crime Mr. Trump was supposedly covering up. The DA cited the federal cap on campaign contributions, as expected. But he also brought up “New York State election law,” which “makes it a crime to conspire to promote a candidacy by unlawful means.” Mr. Bragg then mentioned “statements that were planned to be made to tax authorities.” Planned to be made?

After dragging the country through the first indictment of a former President in U.S. history, Mr. Bragg owes the public a better explanation of his theory of the case. His unclear and evasive reply Tuesday isn’t helping his cause, and the country shouldn’t have to wait for months to find out the answer. Some news reports say Mr. Trump’s next court appearance is probably on the docket for December.

That’s only about a month or two before the Iowa caucus is supposed to take place. What timing. Mr. Trump is being indicted for conduct that happened in 2016. Federal prosecutors already examined this activity and apparently decided to let it drop. Seven years later, after a halting local investigation, an elected Democratic DA has indicted Mr. Trump, in a case that could finally come to a resolution right in the middle of the 2024 primaries.

The question that keeps smacking us upside the head is whether this case would have been brought against any defendant not named Donald Trump. It’s hard to avoid answering no. How it will affect Mr. Trump’s 2024 candidacy is anyone’s guess. Maybe the better question is how it will affect the public’s view of justice.

34 counts of covering up not a crime is not a crime. 34 counts past the statutes of limitations is past the statutes of limitations. The last count, #34, is more than four years beyond the statute of limitations for felonies in New York. The count is specified to have occurred on Dec 5 2017, which means the statute of limitations expired Dec 5 2021. How do you get around that?

34 counts of covering up not a crime is not a crime. 34 counts past the statutes of limitations is past the statutes of limitations. The last count, #34, is more than four years beyond the statute of limitations for felonies in New York. The count is specified to have occurred on Dec 5 2017, which means the statute of limitations expired Dec 5 2021. How do you get around that?
NY does have a law that allows the statute of limitations clock to stop while the suspect is out of state. If it is applicable to the charges against Trump I do not know.

4. In calculating the time limitation applicable to commencement of a criminal action, the following periods shall not be included:

(a) Any period following the commission of the offense during which (i) the defendant was continuously outside this state or (ii) the whereabouts of the defendant were continuously unknown and continuously unascertainable by the exercise of reasonable diligence.  However, in no event shall the period of limitation be extended by more than five years beyond the period otherwise applicable under subdivision two.

An absolute waste of time. I'm sure they've got him this time!!;) We had better keep our head on a swivel because you can bet they are doing some really shady crap while this dog and pony show is going on.

NY does have a law that allows the statute of limitations clock to stop while the suspect is out of state. If it is applicable to the charges against Trump I do not know.

He hasn’t been continuously out of state nor have his whereabouts ever been unknown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He hasn’t been continuously out of state nor have his whereabouts ever been unknown.

It says "any period" a person was out of the state. I would think the continuously word means more like long stretches of time. They aren't going to get extra time just because a person commutes to NJ everyday for work. But since Trump has spent almost the entire last two years outside of NY the prosecution will argue that extended the statute of limitations.

Since it says "or" knowing his whereabouts seems meaningless. Only one part has to be satisfied.

It says "any period" a person was out of the state. I would think the continuously word means more like long stretches of time. They aren't going to get extra time just because a person commutes to NJ everyday for work. But since Trump has spent almost the entire last two years outside of NY the prosecution will argue that extended the statute of limitations.

Since it says "or" knowing his whereabouts seems meaningless. Only one part has to be satisfied.
They convened a grand jury and charged him while he was in Mar a Lago. His whereabouts are pretty much known 24/7/365. I'm not buying this one. This law is intended to stop the clock for absconders, people who flee in order to escape the statutes of limitations. That isn't Trump. He appeared at his arraignment from out of state without extradition.

If anyone is interested in reviewing the indictment itself, it is located here:
What is missing is the crime that is concealed. Theory I heard yesterday is that he left it out because he expects this all to get tossed in the pretrial motions, but doesn't want jeopardy to be attached to it because it would affect the other two proceedings in Georgia and Florida. I'm not sure that will fly, but I guess from his standpoint it's worth a shot.

Interesting to see the attempts to distinguish Billy Clinton's hush money to Paula Jones.

They convened a grand jury and charged him while he was in Mar a Lago. His whereabouts are pretty much known 24/7/365. I'm not buying this one. This law is intended to stop the clock for absconders, people who flee in order to escape the statutes of limitations. That isn't Trump. He appeared at his arraignment from out of state without extradition.
Again. It says "or" his whereabouts are unknown. Knowing his whereabouts is meaningless for part one (1). There may be an argument that part one does not apply to him either. I imagine the DA has a legal theory he thinks can get around the statute of limitations. It will be interesting to see what it is.

Again. It says "or" his whereabouts are unknown. Knowing his whereabouts is meaningless for part one (1). There may be an argument that part one does not apply to him either. I imagine the DA has a legal theory he thinks can get around the statute of limitations. It will be interesting to see what it is.

Again, the purpose is to extend the limits for absconders who are purposefully trying to evade the statutes of limitations. That cannot be claimed here. I guess we’ll see when Trump’s lawyers move for dismissal.

Again, the purpose is to extend the limits for absconders who are purposefully trying to evade the statutes of limitations. That cannot be claimed here. I guess we’ll see when Trump’s lawyers move for dismissal.

Also Cuomo paused sol for 7 months during Covid.

That was an out-of-court settlement available to the public.
Do you think that if Clinton could have kept it from becoming public by having Jones, say, sign an NDA, he would have done so? Of course he would have.

From CNN Politics:

Stormy Daniels ordered to pay Trump team another $120,000 in legal fees
Dan Berman
By Dan Berman, CNN
Updated 3:39 AM EDT, Wed April 5, 2023

Three thousand miles away from his New York legal drama, Donald Trump secured a substantial victory in another court.

The 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals sided with the former president in his effort to recoup additional legal fees from adult film star Stormy Daniels, who had filed and lost a defamation suit against him.

Daniels was ordered to pay Trump’s attorneys just over $120,000 in legal fees. That’s on top of the more than $500,000 in court-ordered payments to Trump attorneys she’s already been ordered to pay.

The civil litigation is officially unrelated to Trump’s arrest and charges filed against him in New York, but both involved Daniels, who was paid $130,000 in hush money during the 2016 presidential campaign to keep quiet about an affair. (Trump denies the affair.)

Daniels had sued Trump in 2018 after he called an allegation by Daniels that an unknown man threatened her in a parking lot to keep quiet about her alleged affair with Trump a “total con job” in a tweet.

Dismissing the lawsuit in October 2018, District Judge S. James Otero said Trump’s statement was protected by the First Amendment.

“The Court agrees with Mr. Trump’s argument because the tweet in question constitutes ‘rhetorical hyperbole’ normally associated with politics and public discourse in the United States. The First Amendment protects this type of rhetorical statement,” Otero wrote at the time.

Otero later ordered Daniels to pay roughly $293,000 in legal fees. She was also ordered to pay $245,000 in fees after losing another appeal.

Daniels, whose legal name is Stephanie Clifford, had asked the appeals court to knock down another award. The court declined her request.

“Clifford’s argument that the fee request is unreasonable and excessive is not well-founded,” the 9th Circuit filing stated.

“Trump’s attorneys reasonably spent the requested 183.35 hours preparing a motion to dismiss, a reply to the opposition to the motion, two extension motions, the answering brief, and the fee application,” it added.

Trump attorney Harmeet Dhillon celebrated the ruling in a tweet Tuesday, saying: “Congratulations to President Trump on this final attorney fee victory in his favor this morning. Collectively, our firm obtained over $600,000 in attorney fee awards in his favor in the meritless litigation initiated by Stormy Daniels.”

Do you think that if Clinton could have kept it from becoming public by having Jones, say, sign an NDA, he would have done so? Of course he would have.
Of course he would have and as you and I have discussed the NDA wasn’t the problem. The payment was made on Oct 27th a mere week before the election and 3 weeks after the Access Hiollywood tape where Stormy’s lover admitted to sexual assault. Stormy’s lawyer was shopping the story and kept it away from AMI where Pecker would have buried it. When Cohen saw that he knew they had to pay.

I’ll say it again. Don’t cheat on your third wife. Don’t cover it up w intent to deceive days before an election. Don’t report it wrong in the books.

It’s all on Trump. No one to blame but him.

Of course he would have and as you and I have discussed the NDA wasn’t the problem. The payment was made on Oct 27th a mere week before the election and 3 weeks after the Access Hiollywood tape where Stormy’s lover admitted to sexual assault. Stormy’s lawyer was shopping the story and kept it away from AMI where Pecker would have buried it. When Cohen saw that he knew they had to pay.

I’ll say it again. Don’t cheat on your third wife. Don’t cover it up w intent to deceive days before an election. Don’t report it wrong in the books.

It’s all on Trump. No one to blame but him.
I don't believe he cheated with Stormy. He's steadfastly denied it and she has lost in court time and again. $130k isn't the kind of money that you pay when someone really, truly has the goods on you. It's more like the $800k that Clinton paid Paula Jones. $130k is more like, I'm gonna say we did if you don't give me something, so here's a bag of coin now shut up and go away.

And there's a matter of intent. Trump voters DGAF about it. I don't believe that full knowledge would have cost him a single vote. Even now, this is gaining him support and not costing him support. So, what exactly was his intent? If it was cheating on his wife, as you say, then the NDA was to conceal it from his wife and not to conceal it from the country. Then how was that a violation of campaign laws, exactly? And if it was intended to conceal it from the country to influence the election, you have to prove that somehow in court. How? You pretty much have to have communication out there somewhere from Trump saying, "We can't let the country find out about this" from the same man who bragged about pussy grabbing.

So, no one to blame but Trump for what, exactly? We knew who he was well before 2016. That's why I didn't want him in the first place. He's always disgusted me. But that's exactly who he is.

Last edited:
Back