tie breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes of course we should have taken care of business but if we win the next 2 and do not get in that is an ultimate screw job. The Big 12 has to rectify their language for that scenario. No reason a team we beat but are tied with in the standings should get in over us. Doesn’t make sense.

I was using the “playoff tool” that was referenced in Pistols Firing Blog TOP 5 QUOTES FROM MIKE GUNDY’S PRE-HOUSTON NEWS CONFERENCE

Assuming the tool is accurate, It appears to me that Pokes need KSU OR OU to lose more game to get to B12 CCG.

There are some interesting scenarios for sure, and it is college football and there are no “locks” how last two will play out. But if you run it with the current favorites winning out, it’s gonna be Texas vs K-State in CCG.

But one thing just screams out to me running these scenarios is that the tie breaker rules should be rewritten and more emphasis put on head to head competition.

I was using the “playoff tool” that was referenced in Pistols Firing Blog TOP 5 QUOTES FROM MIKE GUNDY’S PRE-HOUSTON NEWS CONFERENCE

Assuming the tool is accurate, It appears to me that Pokes need KSU OR OU to lose more game to get to B12 CCG.

There are some interesting scenarios for sure, and it is college football and there are no “locks” how last two will play out. But if you run it with the current favorites winning out, it’s gonna be Texas vs K-State in CCG.

But one thing just screams out to me running these scenarios is that the tie breaker rules should be rewritten and more emphasis put on head to head competition.
So we basically need Kansas state to lose. I can’t see OU dropping another

I’m sure the OU conspiracy theorist will be out in full force
They already are. Using the UCF loss as an excuse as to why we don't deserve to be in the championship game anyways. Totally ignoring the fact that they almost lost to UCF and lost to the team that UCF annihilated. Basically, ever game should count except that one. That loss the OSU isn't relevant since if was in Stillwater.

Not a conspiracy theorist, but it is peculiar to change or further clarify tiebreaker rules that were previously agreed upon and on the books, just weeks before they are to be implemented. I know the big 12 would really hate to see both OU and texas in the ccg. But Change the rules in the offseason, not waiting until november when it's clear that the rule change screws one of the teams you hate.

Not a conspiracy theorist, but it is peculiar to change or further clarify tiebreaker rules that were previously agreed upon and on the books, just weeks before they are to be implemented. I know the big 12 would really hate to see both OU and texas in the ccg. But Change the rules in the offseason, not waiting until november when it's clear that the rule change screws one of the teams you hate.
I don’t think they are changing the rule just clarification of the existing rule.

They are saying the head to head matchup applies because OSU beat KSU and OU. So therefore step 2 in the criteria is not applied.
Step 2 is only applicable if step 1 does not resolve head to head competition. If OSU would have lost to either teams then step 2 would have been applied.

Also, I think it was poorly written and should have been written: “If the combined record of the head to head matchups between the tied teams is the same then proceed to step 2”

Last edited:
I don’t think they are changing the rule just clarification of the existing rule.

They are saying the head to head matchup applies because OSU beat KSU and OU. So therefore step 2 in the criteria is not applied.
Step 2 is only applicable if step 1 does not resolve head to head competition. If OSU would have lost to either teams then step 2 would have been applied.

Also, I think it was poorly written and should have been written: “If the combined record of the head to head matchups between the tied teams is the same then proceed to step 2”
yea that comma in the second statement is confusing as hell. This is probably the best tale I’ve seen

In a 3 way tie with OSU and KSU, which is the most probable scenario, OU would be left out by bothe the old and new rules. It didn’t “screw” OU. It “screwed” KSU. But go ahead and cry if it makes you feel better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Glad to know you’re not a conspiracy theorist. For a minute, it looked like you were sharing a THEORY that the Big XII would really hate to see both OU and UT in the CCG and the clarification may be a CONSPIRACY against OU.

Excited Schitts Creek GIF by CBC
Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

Well, why would clarification be needed? the rules for tiebreakers are established and published for all to see.

And sure, they should have done a better job from the onset. change it in the offseason. but isnt funny that it's not until mid november they figure out they f7cked up and coincidentally the two outgoing teams are right in the thick of it.

Glad to know you’re not a conspiracy theorist. For a minute, it looked like you were sharing a THEORY that the Big XII would really hate to see both OU and UT in the CCG and the clarification may be a CONSPIRACY against OU.
That's not a theory, that's a clear and obvious distinction. the worst thing the big 12 would want to see is the two outgoing teams in the ccg.

I didnt say anything about a conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back