Romeo and Juliet banned in Florida school district for sexual content

Same thing happened in the late 70’s, at least where I went to school. Apparently a 16 and 13 year old having sex and then forging a suicide pact is inappropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing happened in the late 70’s, at least where I went to school. Apparently a 16 and 13 year old having sex and then forging a suicide pact is inappropriate.

What’s your response? Ban Shakespeare? Force all classic sculpture to wear clothing?Everyone can only watch G movies?
Shear arrogance from a group of people that apparently believe that the way they live is the only way to live. And they’re desirous of taking away rights and mandating forced behavior. Seems like fascism to me.

Last edited:

If you apply the same logic, the bible should also be banned.

How about having discussions about the tough things in life instead and move on from this banning nonsense. Nothing gets better when it cannot be discussed.

Seems like the thought police are really busy these days. But someone who can speak slowly enough needs to remind them of the definition of hypocrisy. It’s 1984 come to fruition.

What’s your response? Ban Shakespeare? Force all classic sculpture to wear clothing?Everyone can only watch G movies?
Shear arrogance from a group of people that apparently believe that the way they live is the only way to live. And they’re desirous of taking away rights and mandating forced behavior. Seems like fascism to me.
It is true that one school district made a decision to remove some excerpts that they deemed not age appropriate from Romeo and Juliet discussion. But to be clear, that school district did not ban Romeo and Juliet and, in fact, plans to include the play in curriculum.

I agree that the school districts local decision is silly and misguided. The Florida Department of Education has been clear that they not only allow Shakespeare, but recommend it. Are you advocating for the State to mandate and force the school district to change their policy?

It is true that one school district made a decision to remove some excerpts that they deemed not age appropriate from Romeo and Juliet discussion. But to be clear, that school district did not ban Romeo and Juliet and, in fact, plans to include the play in curriculum.

I agree that the school districts local decision is silly and misguided. The Florida Department of Education has been clear that they not only allow Shakespeare, but recommend it. Are you advocating for the State to mandate and force the school district to change their policy?
No, I’m advocating local school boards make the decision. Books that were required reading in high school are being replaced my Dr. Seuss . Seems like a large group of people want to raise a bunch of pansies who can’t think for themselves. Fahrenheit 451 is next I presume. Better get to memorizing banned books now while copies are still available.

No, I’m advocating local school boards make the decision. Books that were required reading in high school are being replaced my Dr. Seuss . Seems like a large group of people want to raise a bunch of pansies who can’t think for themselves. Fahrenheit 451 is next I presume. Better get to memorizing banned books now while copies are still available.
True, many people oddly seem okay living in their angry-world and purposely oblivious to importance of the diversity of perspective from others.

More and more we are a nation of people: 1) needing safe spaces, 2) seemingly always fighting voices that go against individual biases, 3) living in a silo and preferring misinformation over facts, and 4) only wanting what aligns to personal beliefs to influence others (and actively working to silence opposing views)

How about having discussions about the tough things in life instead and move on from this banning nonsense. Nothing gets better when it cannot be discussed.
There are some extremely graphic and taboo sexual relationships and acts throughout the Bible

I’m not applying the logic, it seemed stupid back in 1978 too. Just saying this is nothing new and has been going on as far as I’ve known about it since Jimmy Carter was in office and the reasoning people give for censoring it. We read it my sophomore year ( Not a big fan, maybe got a C but still better than slogging through Beowulf) and the school even screened the 1968 movie version that showed tiddies. The district said no more the next year. I’m sure the ban was short lived.

Bible’s not taught in most public schools though.

I’ll bet even in Christian schools they ban teaching the provocative verses and chapters. Gotta shield these kids from anything that makes their helicopter parents uncomfortable.

Bible’s not taught in most public schools though.

Well there are also effort to remove the same things from public libraries as they are trying to restrict in school libraries in several states right now

But I've yet to see anyone going after the Bible in public libraries too...and it has the same or in some cases more explicit material than some.of the other books they want off public library shelves

Well there are also effort to remove the same things from public libraries as they are trying to restrict in school libraries in several states right now

But I've yet to see anyone going after the Bible in public libraries too...and it has the same or in some cases more explicit material than some.of the other books they want off public library shelves
HYPOCRITES ? Most true believers don’t want to be judged with the hypocrites. Red letters should make a difference. Ye shall judge them by their fruits.

Back