Post season expectations

So the Pokes had a pretty good regular season, that ended on a real high in Arlington. OSU went 40-17 and 19-9 in league play, both very solid numbers. We handled long time nemesis' like ORU, Tech, and TCU fairly easily (still can't get by DBU). There was the annual domination of the Sooners, despite their surprising performances in other games.

There were of course some lows like the bad start at Sam Houston, losing to lowly Utah Tech, and some road struggles in league play at UCF, UT, and KSU. Most of those losses related to struggles at the plate at the wrong time--a theme we've lamented on this board for a long time. Also a problem was the fact that this has been one of the worst defensive teams we've seen in some time.

But, a rotation of three strong starting pitchers has emerged, with a solid closer. Rob has his best staff since perhaps our last Omaha run. Benge and Schubart have become the superstars we hoped and expected them to be. Ehrhard hit around .400 in league play and is once again a bulldog. Forysthe hit about 60 points higher than expected, and even Daugherty has double digit HRs. This is the offense Josh envisioned. They're hosting a reigonal for the third year in a row. Even Josh has said, "the team is primed."

So, with all of that, and perhaps taking into account that we haven't gotten out of a regional since 2019, what are your expectations as a fan of this postseason?

Last edited:
So the Pokes had a pretty good regular season, that ended on a real high in Arlingon. OSU went 40-17 and 19-9 in league play, both very solid numbers. We handled long time nemesis' like ORU, Tech, and TCU fairly easily (still can't get by DBU). There was the annual domination of the Sooners, despite their surprising performances in other games.

There were of course some lows like the bad start at Sam Houston, losing to lowly Utah Tech, and some road struggles in league play at UCF, UT, and KSU. Most of those losses related to struggles at the plate at the wrong time--a theme we've lamented on this board for a long time. Also a problem was the fact that this has been one of the worst defensive teams we've seen in some time.

But, a rotation of three strong starting pitchers has emerged, with a solid closer. Rob has his best staff since perhaps our last Omaha run. Benge and Schubart have become the superstars we hoped and expected them to be. Ehrhard hit around .400 in league play and is once again a bulldog. Forysthe hit about 60 points higher than expected, and even Daugherty has double digit HRs. This is the offense Josh envisioned. They're hosting a reigonal for the third year in a row. Even Josh has said, "the team is primed."

So, with all of that, and perhaps taking into account that we haven't gotten out of a regional since 2019, what are your expectations as a fan of this postseason?
Super regional final. Real chance to win to advance. Probably Omaha. Then if we win one. Awesome

Super regional final. Real chance to win to advance. Probably Omaha. Then if we win one. Awesome
I'm here too. Actually told a buddy (to his surprise) the week of opening day that this is a make or break year for Josh & Co. Having hosted and lost our own regional 2 years straight now (and all other state schools having made Omaha during that time), making Supers is bare minimum, even more so now that we're hosting again and have pulled it together to playing so well in recent weeks.

I'm on the fence of going a step further and saying making the CWS is minimum. 8 years since our last trip, and again ORU and 0u each had made it during that spell. The time is now to re-establish ourselves as the premier program in the state. Beyond making it to Omaha, whatever wins you get up and to a title are bonus since the CWS is so tight.

Matchups can always change how we look at things but right now on paper, I expect to go 3-0 in Stillwater.

I am not convinced Clemson will win their regional but if they do, with the aforementioned pitching rotation, I like our chance in any 3 game set regardless of setting. If we get the super at home because they lose, I expect to be in Omaha.

Once there, we have to stay in the winners bracket. If you do that, anything can happen but first things first, take care of this weekend.

Gary Ward spoiled me. I have high expectations for Poke baseball and believe they should be in Omaha more often. The B12 Championship was great but every season is a "thud" when we don't make it past a regional. By OSU standards I think Holliday has done a "good" job but has not attained the level many hope for. I always hope for the best, this team has talent. We need to get to the Super and with luck move to the CWS.

After many years of therapy I came to realize that my insane enjoyment of the flat out devious ways Gary Ward found to dominate the Big 8 were just not normal and more than exceptional. Let’s face it, one of the most dominant set of performances in our history by an OSU team was Ward’s teams over that 14 year period. Josh has a ways to go, but I believe he is getting better. Let’s cheer them on and enjoy the spectacle this week.

I was just telling my wife in the last couple of days that I'm not sure what to think if we lose another home regional. I really like Josh and I'm not saying we fire him or anything, but we can't continue to have that happen. Of course, I was reminiscing about the good ole days where we just knew we were going to win any regional we played in. No matter what happened, come Sunday (or Monday) we would be advancing. I know that isn't realistic in this day and age, but damn it is tough to have lived through that and then go through the last few years.

Anyway, no negative Nancy stuff here, I really feel like we will take care of business this weekend. The only thing I'm worried about right now is getting off work early enough today to catch some of the first game.

I was just telling my wife in the last couple of days that I'm not sure what to think if we lose another home regional. I really like Josh and I'm not saying we fire him or anything, but we can't continue to have that happen. Of course, I was reminiscing about the good ole days where we just knew we were going to win any regional we played in. No matter what happened, come Sunday (or Monday) we would be advancing. I know that isn't realistic in this day and age, but damn it is tough to have lived through that and then go through the last few years.

Anyway, no negative Nancy stuff here, I really feel like we will take care of business this weekend. The only thing I'm worried about right now is getting off work early enough today to catch some of the first game.
I see what you're saying about expectations...
However, I also see how players are different these days. Kids come up glorifying the long ball and don't have the IQ to produce small ball results. You can coach it and work on it, but if the players haven't built on the foundational skills it takes to execute, a coach is likely reluctant to switch it up in key situations. It's like basketball with the "love" of the 3pt shot in players.
Thus has created parity and then Josh has been gifted with some very tough regionals. I'm just happy DBU isn't coming this year.. or ORU even though they seem down this year.
The only thing I would like to see change in HCJH is player accountability. For example, Brueggeman's defense and BA has warranted some pine pony this season yet he keeps running him out there.
Anyway...just my thoughts and ready to get some post season wins in O'Brate!

It was different back then too, all you had to do was win a 6 team regional, there weren't super regionals.

And there were two years he had the best team, just run into some bad luck, especially 1990.
We would have so many more national titles if the CWS format wasn't a wiped-clean slate single elimination championship game. What an absolutely moronic way to do things.

I find it hard to see him come back unless he wants to run it back. Despite his height, it’s more difficult to find a pitcher that has 4 legit pitches and commands them for strikes

I see what you're saying about expectations...
However, I also see how players are different these days. Kids come up glorifying the long ball and don't have the IQ to produce small ball results. You can coach it and work on it, but if the players haven't built on the foundational skills it takes to execute, a coach is likely reluctant to switch it up in key situations. It's like basketball with the "love" of the 3pt shot in players.
Thus has created parity and then Josh has been gifted with some very tough regionals. I'm just happy DBU isn't coming this year.. or ORU even though they seem down this year.
The only thing I would like to see change in HCJH is player accountability. For example, Brueggeman's defense and BA has warranted some pine pony this season yet he keeps running him out there.
Anyway...just my thoughts and ready to get some post season wins in O'Brate!

I get what you are saying about “kids today” and what they want to do vs what they are coached to do. My question is don’t all the coaches deal with this, and if this is true doesn’t that level the playing field? Ultimately isn’t it the coaches jobs to get their kids to buy into their philosophy and execute that philosophy? When I think of this I often think of Coach Sutton or Kelvin Sampson. They have both been committed to coaching defense first in their careers when that hasn’t always been the preferred style and have been very successful doing it.

Some coaches are much better at it than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back