Interview with Coach Gundy

Yes, because we had a once in a generation defense (still cannot believe we let Knowles go over a few hundred thousand dollars), Jaylen Warren and SS. Our offense was garbage and has been for several years. How many coaches would keep Dunn and Dickey in those positions for that long, when it’s obviously not working?
Ohio State would have matched whatever we offered Knowles. He was gone no matter what we did.

Their endowment doesn't pay players. We can do better than what we are doing.
No disagreement but the endowment exists for a reason and it’s a different world, different expectation, different donor base. We can’t compete with certain players financially, never going to happen.

‘What about-isms’ that are being thrown out don’t move the needle, especially when it’s apples to oranges.

No disagreement but the endowment exists for a reason and it’s a different world, different expectation, different donor base. We can’t compete with certain players financially, never going to happen.

‘What about-isms’ that are being thrown out don’t move the needle, especially when it’s apples to oranges.
I have no problem saying we can't get into bidding wars over blue chips. We can't give up on base pay NIL. We have to at least match Texas Tech and I'd argue out do them (they are at $36k per player). It has to be a focus of the entire OSU athletic administration. Otherwise, we're done and we will go back to being the OSU of the Simmons era. And in this era, we won't get 2-3 year bounces from a couple surprises. Rashaun Woods of today would hit the transfer portal after his sophomore season.

I have no problem saying we can't get into bidding wars over blue chips. We can't give up on base pay NIL. We have to at least match Texas Tech and I'd argue out do them (they are at $36k per player). It has to be a focus of the entire OSU athletic administration. Otherwise, we're done and we will go back to being the OSU of the Simmons era. And in this era, we won't get 2-3 year bounces from a couple surprises. Rashaun Woods of today would hit the transfer portal after his sophomore season.
Yep. This is the world. We either conquer it, or get pushed in the gutter.

Ohio State would have matched whatever we offered Knowles. He was gone no matter what we did.
He mentioned several times in interviews (while at OSU) that he liked new challenges, and enjoyed building something from nothing. Couple that with the money Ohio State could offer, and his departure was inevitable. Won't surprise me when he leaves there for another new challenge. That's what he wants.

He mentioned several times in interviews (while at OSU) that he liked new challenges, and enjoyed building something from nothing. Couple that with the money Ohio State could offer, and his departure was inevitable. Won't surprise me when he leaves there for another new challenge. That's what he wants.

That’s the life of a coordinator until they get that HC job. If Stilly were a half hour closer to either city we’d be in a way different position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think we could get Leipold - KU is already paying him $5 million a year. I doubt Kileman either, I don't see any in-conference movement. I think Elko is possible, I think Jonathan Smith, Jake Dickert, Jeff Traylor, Brian Hartline, Todd Monken, you have to call Dave Clawson, etc. Honestly, I have to wonder if you don't at least interview Jim Knowles.

You have to decide not to be a poverty program. That said, Gundy isn't going anywhere this season.
5 mil isnt much, he'd bounce for a little more I bet and still cost less than gundy. Feels like Liepold would be a bigger hire than all those other names. osu isnt iowa state, they have a bigger brand than that, they could stand to get someone with a solid resume who could do more with the resources at osu. Perfect for a guy like Liepold if you ask me. What he's done at kansas is impressive and someone is going to hire him.

To be fair, TTU has two young billionaires that played under Leach. They are committed to seeing their program succeed for the next 30 years. They are currently top 10 nationally in NIL funding. We will not catch them in our lifetime unless we have a surprise donor step up that is currently 25-40 that no one knows about.

5 mil isnt much, he'd bounce for a little more I bet and still cost less than gundy. Feels like Liepold would be a bigger hire than all those other names. osu isnt iowa state, they have a bigger brand than that, they could stand to get someone with a solid resume who could do more with the resources at osu. Perfect for a guy like Liepold if you ask me. What he's done at kansas is impressive and someone is going to hire him.
And it won't be OSU... The timing isn't going to work. I think we're stuck with Gundy for several more seasons unless he decides to bail for the slower pace of turtle hunting on the Gundy Ranch on his own, and Liepold will be off to greener pastures by then.

I could see it coinciding with the eligibility of younger Gundy, after which time he'll have less than zero interest in coaching.

OSU won't have the money or the gumption to force anything in the next few seasons.

Weekly press meeting. Nothing real groundbreaking this time.

Gundy is losing alumni support. If we end up with a losing record and get blown out at the final Bedlam, that may be it for him.

Gundy is losing alumni support. If we end up with a losing record and get blown out at the final Bedlam, that may be it for him.
We will end up with a losing record and we will get blown out by OU. If I was OU and this was the last one and we were this bad, I would never let off the pedal.

All of that to say, OSU is not getting rid of him after his first losing season on how many years. Agree or not, he will be on our sidelines next year unless he chooses not to be.

We will end up with a losing record and we will get blown out by OU. If I was OU and this was the last one and we were this bad, I would never let off the pedal.

All of that to say, OSU is not getting rid of him after his first losing season on how many years. Agree or not, he will be on our sidelines next year unless he chooses not to be.
And extending his perpetual contract. Oh joy

Yep, until next season. He's not on any kind of hot seat.
He's not getting fired for having a losing season and getting blown out in Bedlam (again)--this year. I do think his seat will be hot, though. The university can't afford to fire him because the AD gave him the dumbest contract known to man, but from a fan perspective, Gundy's seat will be blazing hot.

He's not getting fired for having a losing season and getting blown out in Bedlam (again)--this year. I do think his seat will be hot, though. The university can't afford to fire him because the AD gave him the dumbest contract known to man, but from a fan perspective, Gundy's seat will be blazing hot.

If we go 4-8 next year (I think that will be our record this year) then he’ll be on “probation” with the administration. If he doesn’t improve by a game or two the following year, they might consider parting company.

Back