GOP Senate/House in disarray over Trump indictment

Ok. So lets see:
The semi-independent DOJ gives Trump a year and a half to return the classified docs, has extensive ongoing outreach with him and his lawyers, finally hands over a portion of the docs, but is then told that is all of them. Trump also tells his lawyers he has returned all of them.

Then Trump goes around bragging he hasnt returned all of them and is leaving them in conspicuous places. Mar-a-lago is raided and a special master is appointed. Trump has been given every opportunity to do what is required of him by law and he flaunted it.

Continuing to give Trump deferential treatment is not harassment. You can find other examples out there over the last 8 years or so that might be construed as a witch hunt, but this aint one of them, brother.
LOL. You should have just stopped there.

You can harass people with investigations, and also have those investigations find crimes. We've seen a ton of examples of both outcomes in recent years, but most appear to be initiated by people trying to undermine their opponents. Typical political shenanigans....

Crimes should be punished if discovered, and I don't care about party affiliation or any other arbitrary factor. I assume we agree on the last statement, which is really all that matters. I just get tired of seeing all these "investigations" that are clearly just politically motivated attacks, throwing the legal system at opponents to gain any advantage possible.
Huh.....you actually do consider prosecutions or investigations of actually guilty people to be "deliberate harassment".

Okay, I guess.

I call the prosecutions/investigations of people ultimately found to be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt......justice.

Potato/Potatoe I guess.

353023250_10167418514930063_8761334717788169954_n.jpg

McCarthy warns House GOP now is not time to force vote impeaching Biden: ‘What majority do we want to be?​

Republicans bash Boebert for forcing Biden impeachment vote: ‘Frivolous’​

The 5 people Marjorie Taylor Greene is trying to impeach: Here's why she wants to oust Biden, others​

The Boebert vs. Greene fight isn't just happening in a ladies' bathroom anymore — it's out on the House floor and uglier than before​

• Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert had a heated exchange on the House floor on Wednesday.
  • Green confirmed to Semafor that she used a choice word in reference to Boebert.
  • "I told her exactly what I think about her," Greene told Semafor.
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene wants people to know that, yes — she did use a choice word during a confrontation with her onetime ally turned GOP nemesis Colorado Rep. Lauren Boebert.
"She has genuinely been a nasty little bitch to me," Greene told Semafor when asked about a confrontation between the two women on the House floor on Wednesday.
"I told her exactly what I think about her," Greene said of Boebert, adding that she would "absolutely not" be reconciling with her House Freedom Caucus colleague.
Greene's statement to Semafor confirms a scoop from the Daily Beast's Zachary Petrizzo and Sam Brodey, who spoke to several sources who witnessed the exchange.

The heated back-and-forth was over articles of impeachment against President Joe Biden that Boebert introduced on Tuesday night. Greene — who has also filed articles of impeachment against Biden — accused Boebert of copying her legislation. Boebert denied doing so, per the Daily Beast's sources.
"I've donated to you, I've defended you," Greene told Boebert before referring to her with the profanity, per one of the Daily Beast's sources.
"And you copied my articles of impeachment after I asked you to cosponsor them," Greene added.
And while Greene is still going after Boebert, the Colorado Republican appears to want to wrap it up before any blood's drawn.
"Marjorie is not my enemy. I came here to protect our children and their posterity. Joe Biden and the Democrats are destroying our country," Boebert told the Daily Beast. "My priorities are to correct their bad policies and save America."
But Boebert couldn't resist getting a little jab in on the way out.
"Like I said, I'm not in middle school," she told CNN's Manu Raju, per CNN Capitol Hill reporter Haley Talbot.
Boebert and Greene have been feuding for months. In January, Greene confronted Boebert in a bathroom on Capitol Hill over her refusal to vote for Rep. Kevin McCarthy for speaker, per the Daily Beast.
Greene, too, has broken from the far-right Freedom Caucus on more than one occasion — she hit out at Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz during the Speaker vote, declaring herself "the leading MAGA voice in Congress" over Gaetz.
In November, Greene resolved to "fight it out" with her GOP colleagues over McCarthy's speakership.
"I'm telling you — I've always said I'm not afraid of the civil war in the GOP. I lean into it," Greene told former Trump adviser Steve Bannon on his "War Room" podcast at the time

Republicans decide to forgo Biden impeachment vote after internal fighting​

WASHINGTON — In a de-escalation of internal GOP tensions, House Republicans are now aiming to refer a Biden impeachment resolution to two committees instead of holding an immediate vote on impeaching the president.

The House will vote Thursday to send a resolution offered by Rep. Lauren Boebert, R-Colo., to the Homeland Security and Judiciary committees. By forgoing the impeachment vote, Republicans will be able to avoid, for now, a messy fight that was already dividing the conference.

The House Rules Committee advanced the plan in a last-minute meeting Wednesday night after huddling with House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., who urged rank-and-file Republicans at a closed-door meeting earlier in the day to oppose Boebert’s resolution, arguing that such an important issue should go through the committee process, three GOP sources who heard the comments confirmed.

Republican lawmakers who didn't think it was appropriate to impeach President Joe Biden will now be able to vote to send Boebert’s resolution to committees for further work instead of having to cast a vote to table, or kill, the resolution — which would have made some GOP lawmakers politically vulnerable in the 2024 primaries.

“I think it’s best for everybody,” McCarthy told reporters when asked why he wanted to proceed with the resolution this way.

As she exited the House chamber, Boebert told reporters, “A sophomore in Congress just forced the House of Representatives to do their job.”

“I’m fine with the process taking place…if we send this to that committee, then yes, we are forcing the committee to do the work of impeaching Joe Biden,” the second-term lawmaker said.

Asked about McCarthy’s suggestion behind closed doors that it might be premature to bring an impeachment resolution straight to the floor, Boebert said: “I think there’s nothing premature about it. We should have been working on impeachment since we took hold of the gavels in this Congress, and I didn’t see any progress in the committees. And so that’s why I brought my privileged resolution to the floor to force action. And it seems that nothing happens in Washington, D.C., without force.”

By offering a privileged resolution, Boebert was positioned to force a House floor vote on impeachment. The House will still act on the resolution Thursday as required, but will vote on whether to refer it to congressional committees.

Boebert told reporters Wednesday night that if nothing happens in committee as she was “promised,” that, “yes, I will bring a privileged resolution every day for the rest of my time here in Congress.”

House GOP Whip Tom Emmer of Minnesota declined to say whether Republican leadership pressured Boebert to change course on the resolution.

“We talked to Lauren about a whole bunch of stuff. We want Lauren to be successful. So we try to work with her on everything,” he said.

When Democrats controlled the chamber, McCarthy had vehemently argued that they were rushing to impeach President Donald Trump, not once, but twice. Now, he is warning that Republicans could fall into the same trap by immediately voting to impeach Biden.

McCarthy confirmed to reporters on Wednesday afternoon that he opposed an impeachment vote right now, arguing that to "prematurely" pursue it "undercuts" GOP efforts to investigate Biden.

"It’s very serious," he said of impeachment. "That’s why I don’t want to do anything that harms the investigation we’re going through right now."

The House Oversight and Judiciary committees have probes focusing on Biden.

“Republicans need to stick together and get this man out office for his dereliction of duty on the Southern Border,” she tweeted earlier Wednesday.

Some Republicans predicted that the resolution did not have enough GOP votes to pass. Moderate Rep. Don Bacon, R-Neb., said earlier Wednesday that impeachment should go through the committee process and confirmed he would back a Democratic effort to “table” Boebert’s resolution, or set it aside.

“I think if people see that we’re being honest about this and that impeachment is a very serious thing, it should go through committee,” Bacon told reporters. “I feel like it was cheapened in the last Congress. We shouldn’t follow the same footprints.

Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., on Wednesday night said, “I gotta give some credit to Representative Boebert because I think if she had wanted to force the issue, she could have had the vote the other way.”

Boebert's resolution is part of a larger push by the House GOP majority to retaliate against its political enemies. On Wednesday, the House voted along party lines to pass a resolution introduced by Rep. Anna Paulina Luna, R-Fla., to censure former Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif., the lead prosecutor in Trump’s first impeachment. And Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., has vowed to introduce other privileged resolutions to impeach Biden and other top administration officials.Greene, a McCarthy ally who has been feuding with Boebert for months, accused Boebert of copying her own articles of impeachment against Biden.

I had already introduced articles of impeachment on Joe Biden for the border, asked her to co-sponsor mine — she didn’t,” Greene said. “She basically copied my articles and then introduced them and then changed them to a privileged resolution."

Asked about Greene’s claims that she copied her resolution, Boebert said: “I’m not in middle school.”

Lol. Guy says if he’s guilty he should be punished but it’s still a “witch hunt.” Then article about impeaching Biden over … policy disagreements … gets posted. A literal witch hunt. This country is so pathetic.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene Booted From Right-Wing House Freedom Caucus

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) was recently kicked out of the House Freedom Caucus after a string of disagreements with the conservative group, according to two GOP lawmakers familiar with the situation.

“She is no longer with HFC,” a Republican lawmaker told The Daily Beast, noting that “disparaging” fellow members is frowned upon.

“I think there has been some disparagement that’s been going on,” the GOP lawmaker added.

That euphemism is a reference to Greene’s recent fight with a prominent Freedom Caucus member, Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO), which culminated last month with Greene calling Boebert a “little bitch” to her face on the House floor, as reported by The Daily Beast.

That was apparently the final straw for Freedom Caucus members—a group in which Boebert remains a loyal member in good standing.

But Greene's biggest personal foe in the HFC—Boebert—was far from the most enthusiastic to push her out.

During internal deliberations almost two weeks ago—which occurred after Greene confirmed to multiple publications she indeed did call Boebert “a little bitch”—Boebert agreed with another member who argued against removing Greene, out of respect for her right to “freedom of speech.”

“She was against having her removed,” a GOP lawmaker familiar with the HFC meeting told The Daily Beast. “She was actually against it.”

Boebert confirmed to The Daily Beast that she defended Greene on freedom of speech grounds, but would not comment on how she ultimately voted.

“The comments that Marjorie and I shared with one another had absolutely no influence on my vote,” Boebert said Thursday afternoon.

Greene, who has drifted away from the far right flank of the GOP since arriving in Congress in 2021, will no longer be privy to the group’s internal meetings or strategy going forward.

In recent months, she has emerged as a crucial ally to Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), not only helping him secure his speakership but pass a debt ceiling deal that conservatives in the HFC loathed.

Back