Do you believe in God & life after death?

New_to_OKC

I do. In fact, I believe that ALL who EVER existed will live in God's Kingdom. That faith keeps me grounded and hopeful in knowing that we live NOT for this life but for the life to come. So, do you believe?

1 Timothy 4:10-11

10 For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of ALL PEOPLE, especially of those who believe.

11 Command and teach these things.

I am an agnostic. After all, the bible says the dead know nothing. I get no faith from that. It also seems the living know nothing as well. Nobody knows where God came from if there is really One. Of course, the religious faithful think not knowing the answer to that is totally irrelevant to having and building upon faith.

Interesting ideas.

I lived in Australia for 8 years. It was an amazing place to live. I love my home state, but I can't honestly say that it is a nicer place to live than where we were in Australia. But, we returned to Oklahoma because we missed our family and friends and our parents were getting older and we wanted to spend time with them.

If I really believed that in the end, all my family and friends were going to end up in Australia, I would be there right now.

Before I write this, I want to state that the below is my personal opinion, does not reflect on the site and is different than the other mods. Feel free to disagree or push back on it.

I am a nontheist (Buddhist) and do not believe in life after death. I left Christianity shortly after earning my Masters in Theology. Before I left the faith, ideas similar to what @New_to_OKC posted resonated with me a great deal: Process Theology, Panentheism and Christian Mysticism in particular.

grew up in baptist church (3x week), even thought about going into the ministry at one point in my young life...have visited/membership fundamental Baptist, southern Baptist, Methodist, church of Christ, life church, other 'mega' churches...I guess the mega churches finally did me in...do not believe God likes them...I am in no way against people getting theirs ($$$), but I cannot buy (no pun intended) into the idea that preachers are making enormous amounts of money to lead a church...it just doesn't sit well with me...also all the $h!t you hear of sexual predators, sexual abuse, adultery, etc of so called leaders of Christian churches...so I'm more turned off with the churches, leaders, cults than I am with Christians...it does seem that many of the Christians who make the most noise also commit the most sins...I also have a problem of different sects of Christianity thinking they are the true ones...I consider myself a Christian who does not attend church but is a pretty darn good, hard working, family loving dude, who tries to do the right things and treat people with compassion, who (wants to) believes in an afterlife, but don't think you have to repent of sins and ask Jesus into your heart - the way I was taught...I think it has more to do with how you live your life...I don't think God would 'punish' someone who has never done that because of not hearing or whatever the case is...also do not believe someone who is a serial killer (extreme example) but repents and becomes born again a few days before execution is going to Heaven...sorry, got carried away...

grew up in baptist church (3x week), even thought about going into the ministry at one point in my young life...have visited/membership fundamental Baptist, southern Baptist, Methodist, church of Christ, life church, other 'mega' churches...I guess the mega churches finally did me in...do not believe God likes them...I am in no way against people getting theirs ($$$), but I cannot buy (no pun intended) into the idea that preachers are making enormous amounts of money to lead a church...it just doesn't sit well with me...also all the $h!t you hear of sexual predators, sexual abuse, adultery, etc of so called leaders of Christian churches...so I'm more turned off with the churches, leaders, cults than I am with Christians...it does seem that many of the Christians who make the most noise also commit the most sins...I also have a problem of different sects of Christianity thinking they are the true ones...I consider myself a Christian who does not attend church but is a pretty darn good, hard working, family loving dude, who tries to do the right things and treat people with compassion, who (wants to) believes in an afterlife, but don't think you have to repent of sins and ask Jesus into your heart - the way I was taught...I think it has more to do with how you live your life...I don't think God would 'punish' someone who has never done that because of not hearing or whatever the case is...also do not believe someone who is a serial killer (extreme example) but repents and becomes born again a few days before execution is going to Heaven...sorry, got carried away...
Similar. Grew up Southern Baptist, slowed my church attendance in college, stopped altogether by the time I graduated. At this point I don't have a problem with believers (Christian, Muslim, etc) I have a problem with churches (specifically large ones that don't follow their own teachings) and organized religion. Too many evil things have been done by churches/organized religion and I see them largely as a means of controlling people and to make money. I'm not sure how much I believe in God right now? But every part of me thinks that if he does exist as described in the New Testament he must hate most of what is happening in his name. Nowhere does Jesus show support for gathering wealth and he pushes back against the strongest religious group of his day and area.

Be and do good because it's the right thing to do, not because a book says you have to.

Before I write this, I want to state that the below is my personal opinion, does not reflect on the site and is different than the other mods. Feel free to disagree or push back on it.

I am a nontheist (Buddhist) and do not believe in life after death. I left Christianity shortly after earning my Masters in Theology. Before I left the faith, ideas similar to what @New_to_OKC posted resonated with me a great deal: Process Theology, Panentheism and Christian Mysticism in particular.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

The Christian Bible says that nobody can believe in Jesus unless God the Father permits them to do so. The same is true for repentance (changing). Many will go to the grave having never believed but, in the hereafter, they too will eventually be permitted to believe and repent and follow Jesus, or so I believe based on the Bible.

Belief in Jesus:

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Romans 11:25
25 Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.

John 6:44
44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

The ability to repent/change:

Acts 5:31
Verse Concepts
He is the one whom God exalted to His right hand as a Prince and a Savior, to grant repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18
Verse Concepts
When they heard this, they quieted down and glorified God, saying, “Well then, God has granted to the Gentiles also the repentance that leads to life.”

2 Timothy 2:25
Verse Concepts
with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth,

Romans 2:4
Verse Concepts
Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?

2 Peter 3:9
Verse Concepts
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

I am a born again Christian. I don’t claim to have all the answers but I believe in God and his son Jesus Christ. Choosing to believe or not believe is a personal decision, so I won’t argue with an unbeliever. I would caution people not to base your beliefs on the actions of others. Some people are true believers who make mistakes, some are wicked people using a religion for personal gain or manipulation. We are all flawed individuals, so please don’t look at human actions to determine if there is or isn’t a God.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

The Christian Bible says that nobody can believe in Jesus unless God the Father permits them to do so. The same is true for repentance (changing). Many will go to the grave having never believed but, in the hereafter, they too will eventually be permitted to believe and repent and follow Jesus, or so I believe based on the Bible.

Belief in Jesus:

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Romans 11:25
25 Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.

John 6:44
44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

The ability to repent/change:

Acts 5:31
Verse Concepts
He is the one whom God exalted to His right hand as a Prince and a Savior, to grant repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18
Verse Concepts
When they heard this, they quieted down and glorified God, saying, “Well then, God has granted to the Gentiles also the repentance that leads to life.”

2 Timothy 2:25
Verse Concepts
with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth,

Romans 2:4
Verse Concepts
Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?

2 Peter 3:9
Verse Concepts
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.
I appreciate your follow up. What you are espousing is a type of universalism. It is considered heretical in most major denominations--not that it should dissuade you in the least. I imagine you face a lot of resistance in some Christian circles.

Here is the gist of my
I appreciate your follow up. What you are espousing is a type of universalism. It is considered heretical in most major denominations--not that it should dissuade you in the least. I imagine you face a lot of resistance in some Christian circles.

Yes, the Catholic Church and every known Christian denomination reject the doctrine that Jesus will save ALL people.

I absolutely believe that wicked people go to an unpleasant place after death, but I believe it is a restorative process. God didn't create mankind, made in his own image no less, in order for some of them to be punished forever. Wicked people go to "Hell" but are eventually refined, so to speak, and cured of their evil nature and they too join the rest of us in God's Kingdom. I'll share scriptures to back my beliefs.

1 John 4:14 14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.
1 Timothy 4:10 For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.

Lamentations 3:31 For the Lord will not cast off forever

Romans 5:18 Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men.

1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.

Romans 11:32 For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all.
John 12:32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw ALL people to myself.”
Revelation 21:5 And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
2 Corinthians 5:19 that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.
John 6:51
I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”
2 Corinthians 5:14-15 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; 15 and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.
Colossians 1:20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.
John 3:17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Luke 3:6 and all flesh shall see the salvation of God
Philippians 2:10-11 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Romans 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
2 Samuel 14:14 We must all die; we are like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again. But God will not take away life, and he devises means so that the banished one will not remain an outcast.
Ephesians 1:10 As a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in Him, things in heaven and things on earth.
John 1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!"

1 Corinthians 15:22-28
22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive. 23 But each in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ. 24 Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power. 25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 27 For “God has put all things in subjection under his feet.” But when it says, “all things are put in subjection,” it is plain that he is excepted who put all things in subjection under him. 28 When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to him who put all things in subjection under him, that God may be all in all.
Hide trimmed content

I was raised Catholic but then picked up a Bible at the age of 50 (I'm 58) and confirmed my nagging doubts about Catholicism. I am now a member of Jesus's church, not a man-made denominational church.

Eventually, I believe, ALL who ever existed will live in God's Kingdom, even Satan and demons. God didn't create those entities in order to cause them an eternity of suffering. In fact, Satan is doing EXACTLY what God created him to do - torment/test us.

I can share MANY more scriptures that demonstrate God's plan and our future with him, if you or anyone else is interested.

I was raised Catholic but then picked up a Bible at the age of 50 (I'm 58) and confirmed my nagging doubts about Catholicism. I am now a member of Jesus's church, not a man-made denominational church.

Eventually, I believe, ALL who ever existed will live in God's Kingdom, even Satan and demons. God didn't create those entities in order to cause them an eternity of suffering. In fact, Satan is doing EXACTLY what God created him to do - torment/test us.

I can share MANY more scriptures that demonstrate God's plan and our future with him, if you or anyone else is interested.
Question with boldness. Question your pastor/priest.
Study for yourself

That faith keeps me grounded and hopeful in knowing that we live NOT for this life but for the life to come. So, do you believe?
Gee, you believe that you are destined for a better world and you won't even have to miss anyone because you think everyone goes to this better place. Then, you are saying that our republic is dead and accusing people you don't even know of horrible things over mere politics.

Answer the nagging question. If you really believe this mess isn't even what you are living for, what are you doing here?

do you believe that God intervened and spared trump's life, like many republicans are saying??
if so, does that mean God plays favorites??
I have prayed many times for God to protect, heal, help, etc family members and friends; but now I begin to question it all...how can God spare trump but not Corey?? how come he didn't spare kids and/or adults in Uvalde?? Las Vegas?? Sandy Hook?? Columbine?? Parkland?? Club Q?? etc????

do you believe that God intervened and spared trump's life, like many republicans are saying??
if so, does that mean God plays favorites??
I have prayed many times for God to protect, heal, help, etc family members and friends; but now I begin to question it all...how can God spare trump but not Corey?? how come he didn't spare kids and/or adults in Uvalde?? Las Vegas?? Sandy Hook?? Columbine?? Parkland?? Club Q?? etc????
something... something.... its all god's plan... don't question it.

I doubt that God has a life-or-death plan for individuals but those who have faith better hope He has a plan to stop nuclear war from destroying planet earth and all mankind. If there is a God, He will stop it to prove that ultimately mankind is in need of a God to worship and be saved by.

I doubt that God has a life-or-death plan for individuals but those who have faith better hope He has a plan to stop nuclear war from destroying planet earth and all mankind. If there is a God, He will stop it to prove that ultimately mankind is in need of a God to worship and be saved by.
Why hasn't he stopped any of the 100s of millions death from genocide? Why hasn't he stopped us from destroying the planet through global warming?

Back