What a year

stonewallpoke

Durable Brigade
Patreon Supporter
It was a wild, strange, but overall good year.

Not nearly great, but good.

We started off tepid. At 2-2 I was looking for another win on the schedule.

All we did after that start was whip three ranked teams in a 5 game win streak. Beat OU. Made the championship game.

Nine wins and a CCG appearance is a pretty good year by damned near anyone’s standards.

I’m not posting this to invalidate anyone’s ongoing frustration that we lost yesterday. I’m just offering some perspective.

It’s still good to be us, Cowboys.

Listened to the Gundy interview. I hope at some point someone tells him we got our *$$#$ handed to us in Dallas because he's apparently unaware.

The ceiling and floor on this team was pretty wildly divergent and I find it kind of fascinating. Good enough to beat some solid teams like KSU, KU & OU and win 9 games. But also got thrashed by two mediocre teams, barely beaten by a tough ISU & destroyed by a really good Texas team.

Mostly seems to illustrate the plodding nature of this team. If the opponent let it stay close enough, Ollie could grind them down over 4 quarters.

Idk about y’all but the fashion (as well as trend) of how we’ve been losing games the last two years has me worried.

3 games this year where we were blown out

Being completely non-competitive in 3 games, almost a third of the season, there needs to be some serious introspection and evaluation of the coaching staff.
This kind of comment always makes me laugh.

What do you think happens in the WEZ and IPF after another season where we didn’t win a trophy? The coaches all bust out the Wild Turkey, light up some stoagies and cackle to one another “well, there’s another season of being barely passable, gents!” as they clap each other on the back? That they look in the bathroom mirror as they’re washing their hands and smirking and nodding at their own reflection as they remember that doing the bare minimum will keep them employed?

Some of you actively enjoy imagining that we suck, and that some non-existent savior is being kept away from leading us to the playoff because of Gundy’s job security. Same group of malcontents who would replace Boyton with Gottlieb. And yeah, Boyton probably needs to go, but different conversation.

What do you think happens in the WEZ and IPF after another season where we didn’t win a trophy? The coaches all bust out the Wild Turkey, light up some stoagies and cackle to one another “well, there’s another season of being barely passable, gents!” as they clap each other on the back? That they look in the bathroom mirror as they’re washing their hands and smirking and nodding at their own reflection as they remember that doing the bare minimum will keep them employed?

Some of you actively enjoy imagining that we suck, and that some non-existent savior is being kept away from leading us to the playoff because of Gundy’s job security. Same group of malcontents who would replace Boyton with Gottlieb. And yeah, Boyton probably needs to go, but different conversation.
There's actually a reasonable alternative to your hyperbole. The "malcontents" of which you speak are mostly just people who want to see us try things to improve instead of doing the same things over and over again yielding 9-win seasons and a mediocre bowl game. This desire is based on the premise that Gundy can / should be making such changes, and it appears that he is incapable or unwilling to make them.

This doesn't mean we think Gundy "sucks". It means we think he should continue developing our program, and we're not seeing that. He's getting constant raises with no strings attached. His income is increasing while his production is staying the same. That's a problem, especially in a career field like D1 football.

Brilliant sililoquy. Love the WEZ part, made me chuckle for sure.

That being said, it always makes me laugh when someone posts something that coaches have actually said and are likely working on because they know it needs improvement, only to have someone like you race to their keyboard to set someone straight.

Your response to me is wildly misplaced if you've paid attention to my posts at all. Sorry I struck a nerve by saying that those three abhorrent performances (the coaches would agree) have to be addressed and not repeated. And yes, I assume they're doing that because that's what they do as coaches so you don't need to explain that to anyone.

Btw, I don't care about Gundy's contract either. Anyone thinking you're going to win anything in today's landscape without paying handsomely for it is dreaming.

Hey Stonewall stay safe, we need all our men in uniform to stay strong, hope you are stationed in a decent location these days! 🫡👍 🇺🇸

Being completely non-competitive in 3 games, almost a third of the season, there needs to be some serious introspection and evaluation of the coaching staff.
It takes time for teams to gel each season, especially now that the transfer portal can impact a team. OSU was decimated by the transfer portal, and for HCMG to have the team on its way to a 10 win season? I know other fanbases appreciate what he did, as well as his peers obviously, in being named COY.

It takes time for teams to gel each season, especially now that the transfer portal can impact a team. OSU was decimated by the transfer portal, and for HCMG to have the team on its way to a 10 win season? I know other fanbases appreciate what he did, as well as his peers obviously, in being named COY.
I've never called for a single coach to be fired.

I've commented throughout the season positively, multiple times, about the team's turnaround.

Every single team is trying to gel each season.

Not really sure how a comment about 3 losses by large margins being a bad thing is controversial.

Both things can be true, and obviously are: we failed miserably and weren't competitive at all in 3 of our games, but the coaching staff and players still deserve alot of credit for not allowing the Iowa State loss and being 2-2 to derail the season. I said that exact thing multiple times in the weeks following that game.

It was reported that he was chosen on the ballot by every coach in the league as the choice except for his vote which went to Neal Brown! Talk about respect from your peers!!! 🤔

Back