"We Cannot Defeat the Giant. But we can make him fight himself."

Big Huck

Posting an interesting write up I came across on Reddit discussing Russian and Chinese disinformation ops targeting Democracies around the world.

TL;DR: You know that Russia and other governments try to manipulate people online. But you almost certainly don't how just how effectively orchestrated influence networks are using social media platforms to make you -- individually-- angry, depressed, and hateful toward each other. Those networks' goal is simple: to cause Americans and other Westerners -- especially young ones -- to give up on social cohesion and to give up on learning the truth, so that Western countries lack the will to stand up to authoritarians and extremists.

Thanks for posting this! Sort of vaguely knew but the detail helps. I sent it to my kids.

However, I wonder if the conspiracy theory nuts are even worse about spreading misinformation, fear and hate than Russia and China. I've heard, "You can't make this up". But they sure can. Some of them after being rejected have formed their own networks to put their irrationally insane crap on and allow that of others. One has to hope that most people who tune in just take it as bizarre entertainment. Too name just two of them, Alex Jones and his buddy the quack's quack, Mike Adams. At least their platforms are much smaller than the long-established ones, such as Reddit YouTube and Facebook.

How old are you kids? I've got 4 nephews all in the 12-16 range so they're all over TikTok and prime targets for this sort of thing.
Early 20s. My son told me he limits social media to 15 min a day and I believe him as he now has two jobs and is pretty driven. My daughter is still in college and makes good grades but I am guessing her limit is 15 hours a day.

Back