The Way Too Early 2023-2024 Line-Up Prediction Thread...(Plus Questions)

Lots of good points
It’s sounding highly likely that 149 is JW’s
Travis could be a factor at 157

Mirzo is still on the team. Just posted a picture at the football game on Friday.

JW will also be the guy at 149. Alvarez goes 141 or doesn't go.

Thompson needs to be at 174 to have early success. If he doesn't wrestle 174, he redshirts.

Think Teague Travis at 157 is intriguing if he's gotten big enough. Think Manibog or Harper will be able to qualify.

We disagree on 141/149 and 174/184. If You are right and you see me in Hideaway Pizza in Stillwater I will buy you a large pizza and a round of beers. As to Mirzo still being on team, I hope you are right. We will know a lot come November 10th. We will have a pretty good idea how god the pokes are after Cliff Keen December1 and 2.

We disagree on 141/149 and 174/184. If You are right and you see me in Hideaway Pizza in Stillwater I will buy you a large pizza and a round of beers. As to Mirzo still being on team, I hope you are right. We will know a lot come November 10th. We will have a pretty good idea how god the pokes are after Cliff Keen December1 and 2.

I'm about 99% confident that we will see Jamison at 141 and Williams at 149 for the fall semester.

Chris Perry also said on a podcast recently that they are going to get Thompson in the right weight and that he was way underweight this summer. Weighed in 4 pounds under 89kg at U20s and still made the finals. 6 pounds under in Poland. So that puts him around 185lbs and he wasn't cutting weight. Should absolutely be able to get down to 174 and has a good chance at making a big impact there behind Starrocci, Lewis and Griffith.

Plott at 184 is interesting. Do think he has the length to succeed at the weight but a bit unsure of the strength.

I agree with Jamison at 141. I just think Alvarez at 149. We will see with 184 and 174. But even looking at side by side pictures of Plott and Thompson, Thompson looks bigger. With Brooks and Hidllay moving from 184 to 197, 174 and 184 are about equal. At nationals I watched Plott and Lewis. Lewis is much bigger. And Plott was not a small 174. I would think Lewis goes up to 184, but who knows. Another good wrestler at 174 is Foca from Cornell. And can Brands wrestle or is he out with gambling. If he is in he is another guy to consider at 174. Either way, I think Plott and Thompson can AA at 174 and 184, irrespective of which weight class they are in.

I agree that they both could probably AA at either weight.

No idea what's going on with the gambling stuff. There were some rumors that the NCAA may reverse their decision, which would be unfortunate because Nelson Brands said "I knew it was against the rules but I didn't think it would cost me a whole year." Well... dude... you knowingly broke a rule. Deal with the consequences. Drives me nuts that they may get away with that.

Plott can beat Foca. I agree that Plott doesn't look as big but he is quite a bit taller.

You guys suck at arguing.

I disagree with both of you - make mine a Big Country and Coors.

OSU79, not sure what Big Country is. My view is Coors sucks, maybe a Blue Moon but really I like a red zin.

I watched Plott and Foca at NCAA in Tulsa. Foca pinned him in 1st period. Would love to see Plott beat Foca, but even as big OSU and Plott fan I don't see it. And again, Lewis is much bigger than Plott. That is why I think Lewis may go to 184. And also that way he get away from Starocci. To me, with Brooks and Hidlay going to 197, 184 and 174 are equally tough weight classes (with exception that Carter Starocci has 1st locked down at 174 while no one has 1st locked down at 184).

Anyone hear anything about an Orange and Black dual to determine who starts. Would love to see.

My take on OSU wrestling for 2023-2024. Penn State wins NCAAs. Have by far best team. So competition is for rest of field is for 2nd to 10th.
OSU has 3 returning AA. Fix is favorite to finish 2nd at 133. Guy from Cornell is solid favorite to finish 1st. Olejnik was 8th in 2023. Likely does a bit better as 165 was very tough in 2023 and hopefully being in OSU room helps. So maybe 6th or so. Plott at 174 has at top 3rd and bottom 6th (I would argue same at 184). Those 3 get OSU in top 10, maybe bit higher depending on how other teams do. I think OSU has 4 new guys that can do well. At 126, Spratley looks good at 126 which is wide open. So could go from 1st to not placing, with pretty thin difference. At 141 I think it is Jamison. Unknown, but looks good. 141 is not as wide open, but Jamison looks like he could be a mid level AA. 149 I assume Alvarez. I think he is real wildcard. Could be 1st to non AA. Last hope in my opinion is Braydon Thompson. I think he is a stud and saw him beat some solid collage wrestlers in U20 trials. I think he places, but where who knows. I think 157 is OSU's weakest weight, so don't expect anything there. 197, with Brooks and Hidlay going up and Buchanan coming off redshirt is very tough, so uphill battle for Surber. At 285, Doucet is very unlikely to place. Carroll has a better chance, but 285 is stacked this year and he is a freshman so even with Carroll I don't expect AA at 285.

So I think 3 guys will be AA and 4 have a chance. If 2 of the 4 I think have a chance, OSU is likely top 5. If all 4 do well, OSU has a chance at 2nd.

OSU79, not sure what Big Country is. My view is Coors sucks, maybe a Blue Moon but really I like a red zin.

The Big Country is an all-meat specialty pizza at Hideaway. I was really just poking fun at you guys for having a rare (on here, anyway) civil disagreement. I appreciate the discourse as I am a casual osu wrestling fan until the B12 and ncaa's roll around, but I like to keep up a little bit until then.

OK, looking at OSU roster posted on web, Plott is listed at 184 and Thompson at 174. So looks like Lee C is correct on that count.

I don't see Mirzo listed, and he was before. So they took down his listing on roster. I hope I am wrong and Lee is right, but I doubt he is still on team.

OSU79, maybe not a pizza, but be glad to buy you 6 pack of beer at Hideaway. Or heck, if you can find me (Michael Moran) maybe a Big Country.

OK, looking at OSU roster posted on web, Plott is listed at 184 and Thompson at 174. So looks like Lee C is correct on that count.

I don't see Mirzo listed, and he was before. So they took down his listing on roster. I hope I am wrong and Lee is right, but I doubt he is still on team.

OSU79, maybe not a pizza, but be glad to buy you 6 pack of beer at Hideaway. Or heck, if you can find me (Michael Moran) maybe a Big Country.
I would pm him instead of putting your name out there

Coach Smith talked about the lineup today.

125: Spratley
133: Daton
141: Jamison
149: Williams/Travis/Carter
157: Manibog/Harper
165: Olejnik
174: Thompson
184: Plott
197: Surber
285: Doucet

I thought Carter would redshirt. I read that Alvarez cannot compete till January as his transfer was December last year

Surprised they don't move one of 149 guys to 157. 149 looks they have some talent. Weak spot looks to be 157, then 285 if they stick with Doucet over Carroll.

Doucet is good.

Manibog or Harper will qualify.

Carter is going to redshirt. I think that's just John trying to motivate JW.

Doucet over Carroll and letting Carroll redshirt is the smart choice. 100%. Heavyweight is stacked and Gable Steveson is returning to Minnesota. Throwing Carroll into that field is not the smart thing to do. Let those experienced guys clear out, put some more maturity on Carroll, and he will be a 4x finalist.

Back