The Book Thread

H2Orange

Deputy
Patreon Supporter
I thought there was a book thread, but I could not find one. If there is already one, let me know.

Any readers out there?

What are your goals for 2024?
Favorite genres?
What are bucket list books you want to read this year?

I read 42 books last year, mostly crime fiction, history, and biographies. Best book I read was Hellhounds on His Trail by Hampton Sides, which was the story of the manhunt for James Earl Ray. Read several historical books on the Old West, including stories on Wyatt Earp, Custer, Crazy Horse, and the Apache Wars. I started reading the Parker series by Richard Stark.

This year’s goal is a book a week. I have finished seven books so far, but I cheated a little by re-reading a couple from my youth, I am Legend by Richard Matheson, and Rosemary’s Baby by Ira Levin. I read 1776 by David McCullough, and I am currently reading G Man, which is a bio of J Edgar Hoover that came out in 2023. I have several presidential bios I want to read this year and those tend to be a bit long and sometimes boring. I also plan to read Under the Dome by Stephen King which is about 1,100 pages.

I just re-read "The Journeyer" by Gary Jennings, which is a retelling of Marco Polo's travels to the Orient. Great storyteller.

Great thread, thank you @H2Orange!

I knocked out 28 books last year, 95% of which were audio books. Love thrillers, sci-fi, action, horror. King, Ludlum, Brown, Crichton, Child have all been great over the years. Currently making my way through the Expanse series. Really grounded sci-fi with some fun/interesting characters.

I just re-read "The Journeyer" by Gary Jennings, which is a retelling of Marco Polo's travels to the Orient. Great storyteller.
I need to read one of his books. Maybe I can find a used one at the OKC Friends of the Library sale later this month.

Back