Speaker Johnson now in crosshairs of House Freedom Caucus and they may try to kick him Like McCarthy

Polds4OSU

Sheriff
Patreon Supporter
The House passed the annual National Defense Authorization Act on Thursday, before its members leave for the year, angering many conservatives who feel as though Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) caved in negotiations.

However, much like when then-Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) passed bipartisan legislation that hard-line conservatives did not agree with, there will likely be a revolt.

“The Members of the House Freedom Caucus are prepared to use all available leverage to change the status quo,” the House Freedom Caucus said in a statement. “We will not simply vote ‘no’ on bad legislation and go home for Christmas.”

While the threat is vague, and members of the Freedom Caucus have refused to expand on what they mean by it, the disdain for this year’s NDAA was real.

The vote Thursday was 310-118, with 73 Republicans voting against the NDAA.

A main point of opposition to the NDAA was Johnson’s decision to include a short-term extinction of section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act until April 19, 2024.

“It's upsetting to me,” Rep. Cory Mills (R-FL), who voted against the NDAA, said. “... You can see the kind of trickery of DC where they try and attach FISA to the NDAA. That way, they can put you into that situation where if you vote against it, ‘Oh, you hate our military.’ Or if you vote for it, ‘Oh, you hate individual privacy.’ So these (are) poison pills.”

But, Johnson and the House leave for the year having passed this year’s NDAA despite angering many members of his conference. However, when they return, Johnson will have to put together and manage a highly fractured conference of people upset with his handling of issues and must pass legislation over the past month.

The Senate voted 87-13 on Wednesday to pass the 3,000-page, $886 billion legislation, which sets the Pentagon's spending priorities for the fiscal year, includes a 5.2% pay raise for troops, $11.5 billion for China deterrence efforts, and $800 million in Ukraine military assistance.

The legislation now heads to President Joe Biden's desk to be signed into law.

'Don't tell me you're a Christian!' Steve Bannon trashes Mike Johnson for 'demonic' laws

podcaster Stever Bannon blasted House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) on Thursday over his Christian faith.

On his Thursday War Room program, Bannon said he would not accept excuses after Republicans helped to pass the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA).

"If you had the stones and the balls, you could shut this thing down right now. The NDAA just passed. It just passed," Bannon griped. "This is Mike Johnson, and don't tell me you're a Christian. I don't want to hear you're Christian. Don't wear your faith. Don't give me the Bible."

"I don't want to hear more Bible verses when you've allowed the transgender, you've allowed all that garbage, all that demonic trash throughout the defense budget," he continued. "So don't give me the biblical worldview."

Bannon added: "I saw it in the NDAA. Your biblical worldview is manifested there. So don't do another prayer group. I don't need [that]. What I need is Christians at the ramparts prepared to stand in the breach and what we call the gap."

'No better than McCarthy:' Mike Johnson faces backlash after Marjorie Taylor Greene claims Speaker 'negotiated' her vote against NDAA​

WASHINGTON, DC: On Wednesday, December 13, 2023, the Senate voted to pass a critical defense policy bill known as the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), which sets the policy agenda and authorizes funding for the Department of Defense annually. The Senate passed the bill by a vote of 87 to 13, reported CNN.
Following the vote, Republican congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene took to X, formerly known as Twitter, to explain her vote against the NDAA that was "negotiated by Speaker Johnson" and was different from her vote under ousted Speaker Kevin McCarthy.

As Greene explained her recent "no", the internet supported Greene for her decision but slammed House Speaker Mike Johnson.

Back