Here we go again. Motion to Vacate Filed against Speaker Johnson

Polds4OSU

Sheriff
Patreon Supporter

Motion to vacate filed against Speaker Johnson

Amotion to vacate has been filed against Speaker Mike Johnson, two lawmakers said, roughly four months after he took the gavel when the first House leader was deposed.

Three GOP lawmakers on the House floor told Fox News Digital that Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., filed the motion, and that she would speak after the vote series was over.

While the House was voting on a $1.2 trillion government funding bill, Fox News Digital witnessed Greene sign a paper at the front of the chamber and pass it off to House staff. Her office has not responded to multiple requests for comment.

Meanwhile, Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C., was asked by reporters if he would support a motion to vacate if it was filed. He said one had already been filed.

Johnson's office told Fox News Digital in a statement, "Speaker Johnson always listens to the concerns of members, but is focused on governing. He will continue to push conservative legislation that secures our border, strengthens our national defense, and demonstrates how we'll grow our majority."

Greene filing a motion to vacate does not necessarily require a vote, as was the case with ex-Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., being booted. It would only mandate action if she filed it as a "privileged resolution," meaning House leaders will need to act on it within two legislative days.

READ ON THE FOX NEWS APP

Even so, it would likely have to wait – Congress is leaving Washington on Friday for a two-week recess.

Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene files motion to oust Speaker Mike Johnson​

WASHINGTON (AP) — Speaker Mike Johnson is at risk of being ousted after hard-right Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene filed a “motion to vacate” on Friday in the middle of a House vote on a $1.2 trillion package to keep the government open.

It’s the same political dynamic that removed the last Republican speaker, Kevin McCarthy, just five months ago when far-right conservatives revolted over his compromise with Democrats to prevent a federal shutdown. But this one faces steeper odds with less GOP support.

The House is scheduled to leave town for a two-week spring recess at the end of Friday’s session, and it’s doubtful any vote on removing Johnson, of Louisiana, would be imminent.

“Speaker Johnson always listens to the concerns of members but is focused on governing,” spokesman Raj Shah said. “He will continue to push conservative legislation that secures our border, strengthens our national defense and demonstrates how we’ll grow our majority.”

Under the rules, any member can make the motion privileged, which would require leaders to schedule a vote within two legislative days. But it can also simply sit until lawmakers return next month.

Yet even the threat of removal, the ultimate punishment for a speaker, will hang over Johnson’s young speakership, just months on the job.

No speaker had been removed this way until McCarthy’s dramatic ouster last fall, a swift, stunning and chaotic episode that essentially shuttered the House chamber for weeks as Republicans searched for a new speaker.

Greene is a leading ally of the Republicans' presumed 2024 presidential nominee, former president Donald Trump, and McCarthy, of California, was toppled by a similar contingent of far-right Republicans led at the time by Trump ally Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida.

The Georgia congresswoman has warned she would try to remove the speaker if he pushes ahead with a package to support Ukraine as it battles Russia’s invasion.

Johnson, who has refused to put a $95 billion Senate-passed national security package with Ukraine funds to a House vote, has nevertheless promised to fund Ukraine as the a next priority.

With the most narrow majority in modern times, Johnson has a weak grasp on his Republicans in the House.

He can risk only a few defectors on any vote, meaning he could be easily ousted, unless Democrats jump in with their votes to protect him.

Still, many Republicans in Congress were embarrassed by McCarthy’s removal as speaker, which exposed deep party divisions and infighting that left their new majority, in office since January, unable to fully function on priorities.

The night before Friday’s voting, Gaetz warned against trying to oust Johnson, saying that Republican lawmakers fed up with the process would cross the aisle and vote for the Democratic leader, Rep. Hakeem Jeffries of New York.

The idea of a Republican House majority casting votes to make a Democrat the House speaker would be an unheard of political situation.

But with Republicans at war among themselves it is also one that could potentially transpire as they try to return Congress to a sense of normalcy.

Matt Gaetz worries House may “end up with a Democrat” speaker after MTG files to oust Mike Johnson

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., on Friday filed a motion to oust Speaker Mike Johnson as the House voted to avoid a government shutdown, NBC News reports.

Greene did not file the motion as privileged, which would force a vote within two days, but could notice it as privileged after the House returns from a two-week recess on April 9. Greene said she filed the motion because Johnson forced a vote on multiple continuing resolutions and funding bills to keep the government running.

“This is a betrayal of the American people. This is a betrayal of Republican voters,” Greene told reporters.

“I filed the motion to vacate today but it’s more of a warning and a pink slip ... I do not wish to inflict pain on our conference and to throw the House in chaos but this is basically a warning and it’s time for us to go through the process, take our time, and find a new speaker of the House,” she said.

Raj Shah, a spokesman for Johnson, told NBC News the speaker’s focus is "on governing. He will continue to push conservative legislation that secures our border, strengthens our national defense and demonstrates how we’ll grow our majority."

Johnson was elected speaker after former Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., was ousted by a far-right group led by Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla. But Gaetz said he would not support Greene’s motion.

“If we vacated this speaker, we’d end up with a Democrat. When I vacated the last one, I made a promise to the country that we would not end up with the Democrat speaker. And I was right. I couldn’t make that promise again,” he told reporters.

“We’d have Republicans cross over. I worry that we’ve got Republicans who would vote for Hakeem Jeffries at this point,” he added. “I really do. I take no joy in saying that. But you can only vacate the speaker if you know that the party leadership won’t change hands. I knew that with certainty last time. I don’t know it with certainty this time.”

Fox News ‘Outnumbered’ Co-Hosts Rip Georgia Rep. MTG Over Motion To Vacate ‘Tantrum’

Panelists on “Outnumbered” blasted Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia Friday after she filed a motion to vacate targeting House Speaker Mike Johnson following the passage of a “minibus” spending bill.

Greene filed the motion Friday shortly before the House of Representatives passed a $1.2 trillion spending bill to fund the government through the rest of the fiscal year by a 286 to 134 vote. Co-hosts Emily Compagno and Kayleigh McEnany blasted Greene for filing the motion.

“I feel we are seeing yet another tantrum by a tiny fraction of that conference that is disrupting the entire machine that we just exhaustively waited for it to get back on track, and here we are again watching someone steal the time, steal the audio, steal the limelight, steal the attention,” Compagno said. “She says we should have our attention on the illegals streaming across the border, on a million other things. No, our attention was on you while you gave a presser. I am sick and tired of it as a Republican and an American citizen. I want them to get to work.”

“I love Speaker Johnson. Who would be better than him, MTG? What is your plan?” Compagno asked. “I don’t want the legislature to taking two days up to vote for that, to figure everything out and look incompetent during a presidential election year. This is the last thing I want to be subjected with and at a minimum, it is disappointing.”

McEnany, a former White House press secretary, joined in the criticism, saying that Greene’s press conference delayed efforts to show a viral video showing illegal immigrants storming into the United States and nearly trampling four National Guardsmen.

“There’s a great irony here, Carly. As I’m listening to Marjorie Taylor Greene, I hear her say that there’s a video everyone is focused on. That video is of illegal immigrants rushing our border,” McEnany said. “That is a video about six minutes ago, we were set to play. It is a video you are not seeing right now because instead, we are talking about Marjorie Taylor Greene. It raises the question: She didn’t make this live, so nothing happens for two weeks. Is this a fundraising exercise can go back to the district a fundraiser off of this?”

“What’s the motive here?” McEnany asked.

Back