Kevin McCarthy resigns from Congress, end of year

Polds4OSU

Sheriff
Patreon Supporter
Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, who was ousted from his role by a faction of his own party earlier this year, will resign from Congress at the end of the month, he said on Wednesday.

"I have decided to depart the House at the end of this year to serve America in new ways," McCarthy wrote in an op-ed published in The Wall Street Journal. "I know my work is only getting started."

The announcement caps off McCarthy's fall from GOP leadership after rising to the speakership in a historic 15-round vote earlier this year. Speculation over McCarthy's future spiked after a band of eight Republican backbenchers engineered his ouster less than two months ago over personal and policy disputes. After his defeat, he sent conflicting messages over whether or not he would seek reelection, serve out the rest of his term or leave the House early.

"I will continue to recruit our country's best and brightest to run for elected office. The Republican Party is expanding every day, and I am committed to lending my experience to support the next generation of leaders," he wrote in The Journal.

Still, his departure will again diminish the power of one of his party's strongest fundraisers.

"Kevin McCarthy's contributions to our country and to growing the House Republican majority are unparalleled. A razor-sharp political mind, Kevin personally raised hundreds of millions of dollars and recruited hundreds of diverse candidates that led us from deep in the minority to the majority. This devotion to building our party is born from a strong love of country and a heart for service that motivates Kevin at his core," said Rep. Richard Hudson, R-N.C., who chairs House Republicans' campaign arm.

More immediately, his departure from Congress will shrink Republicans' already slim margin, which shrank after former Rep. George Santos, R-N.Y., was expelled from the House last week over serial fabrications and criminal indictments. Speaker Mike Johnson will only be able to lose three GOP votes on each measure before falling below a simple majority.

McCarthy's announcement before California's Dec. 8 campaign filing deadline is likely to open the floodgates for candidates to run for his ruby red congressional district.

McCarthy is the third lawmaker who will resign from the 118th Congress rather than serve out the full two-year term. He joins Democrat Rep. David Cicilline of Rhode Island and Republican Rep. Chris Stewart of Utah, who both resigned earlier this year.

News that beleaguered former House Speaker. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) will leave the House of Representatives this year is panicking some right wing personalities who now fear losing the majority — and they say one person is to blame.

“When we lose the House majority in 2024 to Hakeem Jeffries, you can all blame [Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene],” Laura Loomer posted to X Wednesday.

“Now he’s getting all his buddies in Congress to retire early with him so that Dems take the House. And they will.”

Loomer argued to her 600,000 X followers that “no one was a bigger advocate” of McCarthy than Greene [R-GA] and bemoaned the loss of Rep. George Santos (R-NY_ — expelled from the House amid multiple accusations of campaign finance violations — as well as Patrick McHenry (R-NC) and Bill Johnson (R-OH), both of whom will retire.

“GOP is doing all they can ahead of the 2024 Presidential election to weaken the GOP majority in an effort to make sure President Trump doesn’t have a strong GOP House,” Loomer warned on Dec. 1.

Loomer, as the Guardian reports, is a failed political candidate, endorsed by Trump in 2020, who described herself as a “proud Islamophobe” and has spread conspiracy theories about the Parkland school mass shooting.

Her followers were quick to parrot Loomer’s fears and hurl insults at Greene.

For her part, Greene — of whom McCarthy once said “I will never leave that woman” — issued a jarring warning of her own after her political ally announced he’ll leave Congress at the end by the end of the year "to serve America in new ways."

“Now in 2024, we will have a 1 seat majority in the House of Representatives," Greene wrote. “Hopefully nobody dies.”

Michael Biehn Wtf GIF by GritTV

GOP Patrick McHenry Met With Cheers from GOP members After Announcing His Retirement​

Republican Rep. Patrick McHenry of North Carolina announced his retirement, sparking celebration among conservatives.

He has served since 2004, and many criticize him as having voted against the constitution more than 30 times.

McHenry, known for his role as speaker pro tempore, will not seek re-election in 2024.

“I will be retiring from Congress at the end of my current term,” McHenry posted on X.

“I believe there is a season for everything and — for me — this season has come to an end.”

“I look forward to what comes next for my family and me.”

His retirement was praised by many, as his voting record has been strongly criticized over the years.

“Past, present, and future, the House of Representatives is the center of our American republic,” McHenry’s website reads.

“Through good and bad, during the highest of days and the lowest, and from proud to infamous times, the House is the venue for our nation’s disagreements bound up in our hopes for a better tomorrow.”

“It is a truly special place and—as an American—my service here is undoubtedly my proudest.”

“Since being sworn in January 3rd, 2005, I have worked every day to uphold the Constitution and the system of government our founders so wisely created.”
In his statement, McHenry expressed gratitude for his time in the House and his work in upholding the Constitution.

Back