Republican infighting

Extremist Nathan Dahm is Chairman of the Oklahoma Republican Party. I wonder if he is scaring away rather than getting good sized donations to the Oklahoma Republican Party.

Marjorie Taylor Greene declares War on the Republican Party

“Our party is basically ripping apart at the seams. We have an identity crisis, and so I'm going to work as hard as possible to shove these people to realize: either work for the American people with an America First policy agenda or get out and go home and retire,”

“The whole reason I ran for Congress was because I was mad at Republicans,” Greene said. “The first two years under President Trump, Republicans failed us. They didn't repeal Obamacare. They did not fund the border wall that we all wanted. They didn't do anything about abortion. As a matter of fact, they funded Planned Parenthood. Republicans did that. Not Democrats.”

“I ran for Congress to change the Republican Party, and that has been my goal the entire time — to change our party to reflect our voters,” Greene said. “Because Republicans run for Congress, they campaign, making all these promises, saying all these strong America First campaign slogans and ideas and policies, and then they get here and forget the very people that elected them.”

This week, Greene has been on a rampage against eight of her fellow Republicans who sided with Democrats in opposing her latest effort to impeach Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.

“We exposed four Judiciary members, four of them that voted with the Democrats to kill the Articles of Impeachment for Mayorkas,” Greene fumed. “Why? So they can shelf it back in their committee, where my articles of impeachment were already collecting dust.”

When asked if she hopes to move the member’s or to move their voters — Washington-speak for “do you support a primary?” — Greene said, “Yes, move their voters, so I certainly hope it does.”

“We're at a point in America where we're sick and tired and we're done, so if you want to work in Washington, you're going to be held accountable and that is what I intend to do,” Greene said. “I'm putting them to the test, publicly on record with their votes. Their voters get to decide if they want to send them back.”

LONG read but interesting

House GOPers gunning for Gaetz as ethics probe expands to 'broader range' of violations​

Rep. Matt Gaetz's (R-FL) role as the ringleader behind the ouster of former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) has created enduring resentment among more than a few of the Florida Republican's House colleagues who have grown weary of his grandstanding ways.

According to a report from the Daily Beast's Sam Brodey, Gaetz's unpopularity among Republicans he serves with in the House has grown with one Republican telling the Beast, "There aren’t a lot of people who, you know, are gonna go out of their way to defend Matt Gaetz. I mean, he’s a pretty diabolical character.”

Rep. Don Bacon (R-NE), who admitted Gaetz has almost been involved in two physical fights with colleagues, added, "The anger is pretty well with him. I just think there will be long memories because he did serious damage to our House conference.”

One person who appears to be working behind the scenes against Gaetz is McCarthy, whom Brodey described as stalking "...the halls like a ghost determined to avenge his own murder. In interviews, McCarthy has kept alive the idea that Gaetz and his allies deserve punishment, warning gravely that the party won’t heal 'if there’s no consequences for the actions.'"

McCarthy recently mentioned during a Fox News interview that Gaetz is still being scrutinized by the Ethics Committee, telling Maria Bartiromo, "Once that Ethics complaint comes forward, he could have the same problem as Santos and I think the conference would probably be better united to move forward and get this all done.”

Republican Ken Buck blasts his party's hardliners for ‘lying to America’​

Republican Rep. Ken Buck laid into his own party Sunday, blasting those who continue to propagate the lie that the 2020 election was stolen for “lying to America.”

“Everybody who thinks that the election was stolen or talks about the election being stolen is lying to America,” the Colorado Republican said during an interview in CBS’ “Face the Nation.”

Buck didn’t stop there.

“Everyone who makes the argument that January 6 was, you know, an unguided tour of the Capitol is lying to America. Everyone who says that the prisoners who are being prosecuted right now for their involvement in January 6, that they are somehow political prisoners or that they didn't commit crimes, those folks are lying to America.”

It’s not the first time Buck, a member of the Trump-aligned House Freedom Caucus, has decried his party’s unwillingness to accept the results of Biden’s 2020 victory or condemn the violent attack on the Capitol. The Colorado Republican voiced a similar warning earlier this month in announcing that he would not seek reelection in 2024.

“Too many Republican leaders are lying to America,” he said in his announcement video in early November.

Buck didn’t name former President Donald Trump, who has brandished lies about the 2020 election and elevated Jan. 6 rioters (calling them "hostages" earlier this month) on his seemingly runaway road to the GOP presidential nomination. But he pleaded with his party to defeat President Joe Biden with “someone who’s not lying to the country.”

“I hope all of my Republican colleagues become more clear and recognize the fact that Joe Biden is an existential threat to this country. We need to defeat him and we do that with someone who's not lying to the country,” Buck told CBS’ Margaret Brennan.

When asked specifically about House Speaker Mike Johnson, who spearheaded an effort to undo the 2020 election results through a longshot legal scheme in Texas, Buck noted that he had signed onto the amicus brief Johnson was pushing.

“I signed on to that brief also and I believe that going through the courts to challenge an election is absolutely proper and it's been done dozens of times in American history. What’s wrong is to try to stop a legal function, a legislative function like counting the votes in an election, as happened on January 6,” he said.

Johnson took over as speaker after Rep. Kevin McCarthy was ousted in an effort led by a small faction of Republican hardliners, including Buck, who were unhappy the California Republican sought help from Democrats to pass a stopgap bill to keep the government open.

Though Johnson was forced to do much the same earlier this month, Buck said Sunday he doesn’t expect he’ll face the same blowback as McCarthy.

“I don't think that most Republicans blame Speaker Johnson for the problems that he is now facing, the challenges he's facing. Those were created during the McCarthy time period, and Speaker Johnson is doing a good job to work his way through those issues,” Buck said. “So no, I don't think he's going to face a rebellion.”

Link

'Did a 180 on everything': House GOP approval of Mike Johnson’s leadership is 'plummeting'​

A growing number of House Republicans are souring on the leadership of House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-Louisiana) in the wake of his recent actions to avoid a government shutdown and failure to accomplish far-right political goals.

According to Politico, Johnson's honeymoon phase is effectively over following a meeting with his Senate counterparts. In that meeting, he pledged to fund the government at current levels through the end of the fiscal year if Congress couldn't agree on funding ahead of a shutdown deadline, and asked senators to include the bulk of the House's border security bill in the Ukraine funding package currently being drafted.

"[Johnson] continues to play games," Rep. Max Miller (R-Ohio) told Politico. "It shows me he was never really morally convicted in his positions to begin with."

"He just did a 180 on everything he believed in," Miller continued. "And that to me is disgusting."

Miller — one of two Jewish Republicans in the House of Representatives — has been vocal in his opposition to Johnson's unsuccessful gambit to tie IRS cuts to a foreign aid supplemental package to Israel. He told Politico that the proposal was both "f---ing dumb" and "a slap in the face to every Jew."

Even members of the far-right House Freedom Caucus are expressing dissatisfaction with Johnson's tenure as speaker. When Politico asked Rep. Chip Roy (R-Texas) about how he gauged Johnson's performance rating, Roy said it was "plummeting."

Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Arizona) chaired the House Freedom Caucus for two years and was one of the eight House Republicans who voted to oust former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-California). He said his colleagues were "dealing with a little bit of disapprobation" in regard to the new speaker, adding "I don’t know what people are gonna do."

However, Johnson still maintains allies among House Republicans, including among members of the Freedom Caucus. Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), who once vied for the speakership himself and helped launch the Freedom Caucus, called Johnson a "steadfast conservative leader" who "has the full faith of the Republican conference."

Link

Young Republican Feud Erupts in Texas: Big Donor, Holocaust Denier, and Rittenhouse at Center of Divisive Showdown

Texas’s young Republican circles are in the midst of a divisive situation featuring a big-money donor, a holocaust denier, and Kyle Rittenhouse.

The recent culmination of an ongoing feud among Texas’s young Republicans came to a head this month.

The catalyst for this clash was a meeting involving prominent GOP donor Jonathan Stickland, far-right influencer Nick Fuentes, and Kyle Rittenhouse, who gained notoriety for his acquittal in a high-profile trial.
These developments have triggered a flurry of allegations and disputes among Texas Republicans, with some state lawmakers now condemning specific factions within the party.

As things settle, young Republican groups in Texas are experiencing notable changes.
Fuentes, a figure with controversial views, including Holocaust denial and controversial statements, held an extensive meeting with Jonathan Stickland, then-president of the ultraconservative Texas donor group Defend Texas Liberty.

Joining them was Kyle Rittenhouse, who faced charges related to the shooting of Black Lives Matter protesters.
The meeting raised eyebrows and fueled tensions within the Republican fold. This encounter is not the first time Fuentes has engaged with influential Texas Republicans.

In fact, it has further exacerbated existing divisions within the state’s conservative youth organizations.
Earlier this year, the Texas Young Republican Federation (TYRF) severed its ties with the Republican Party of Texas (RPT) due to allegations of “troll tactics” employed by RPT chair Matt Rinaldi.
The dispute revolved around mocking a TYRF leader who publicly supported the “Black lives matter” movement.

This schism led to the emergence of smaller, splinter groups, some of which were associated with far-right or neo-Nazi content and expressed support for Nick Fuentes.

These splinter groups united to form the Young Republicans of Texas (YRT), presenting themselves as a strong pro-MAGA alternative to the TYRF.

Despite the controversies and concerns, the Texas State Republican Executive Committee (SREC) decided to collaborate with the YRT, earning praise from Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton as “the newest generation of Young Republicans.”

However, the meeting between Fuentes and Stickland raised considerable alarm bells among prominent Texas Republicans, leading to a reevaluation of the YRT’s affiliations.

In a letter addressed to Rinaldi, two members of the Texas Executive Committee urged the state party to distance itself from the YRT.

They expressed their concerns about individuals within the YRT who openly associated with antisemites, even making statements like “I’m antisemitic.”

Another openly and publicly supported Adolf Hitler, commenting, “‘National cold brew day AND Hitler’s bday?! It’s a great day indeed.’”

These concerns have prompted at least two YRT chapters to disassociate from the organization, and they have encouraged the state Republican party to sever ties with the YRT.

The Gulf Coast and Rural Young Republicans groups, in a joint statement, cited “mismanagement and untruthfulness” within the YRT as a reason for their departure.

They also noted that allegations about members not reflecting the party’s values were initially dismissed but later found to be valid.
As these developments unfold, the TYRF is reportedly welcoming the two disaffiliated YRT groups into its fold, further altering the landscape of young Republican organizations in Texas.

The conflict within Texas’s young Republican ranks highlights internal tensions within the party.
The meeting between Fuentes and Stickland has not only exposed these divisions but has also prompted significant shifts in the affiliations of various youth Republican groups.

As the state party grapples with these complexities, it remains to be seen how the future of young Republicans in Texas will evolve.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Names the 'Powerful' Colleagues Ruining the GOP​

Marjorie Taylor Greene named five "powerful Republicans in the House" who she claims have been frustrating her political agenda, and in particular her efforts to impeach prominent figures within the Biden administration.

The Georgia Republican gave the names during an appearance on Tucker Carlson's show on X, formerly Twitter, which was released on Thursday.

Greene has attempted to impeach a string of administration figures, but has faced some opposition from within the House Republican party, which only has a slim majority in the second chamber. In November, the Republican firebrand launched impeachment proceedings against Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas, but this was voted down by 209-201, with eight Republicans joining Democratic representatives to oppose it.

Discussing her impeachment efforts with Carlson, Greene said: "I introduced articles of impeachment of [FBI Director] Christopher Wray, [Attorney General] Merrick Garland, [Attorney for the District of Columbia] Matthew Graves – the son of a b**** who attacks these January 6 defendants day in and day out."

Commenting on her effort to impeach Mayorkas, she added: "I forced that to the floor recently, eight Republicans voted with the Democrats to protect them, three of them were chairmen of powerful committees...Republicans don't have the courage or the guts, or maybe they don't want to, to impeach any of these people."

Carlson suggested "powerful Republicans in the House were convincing everyone else that these anti-American positions were the right ones" and asked Greene to name the GOP lawmakers who have been frustrating her agenda.

She proceeded to list Intelligence Committee chair Mike Turner, Financial Services Committee chair Patrick McHenry, Education Committee chair Virginia Foxx, and representatives Ken Buck and Darrell Issa, both members of the Judiciary Committee. Greene said the latter pair were two of four on the Judiciary Committee who had been frustrating her efforts, but didn't name the other two.

Newsweek has contacted her office by telephone and voicemail message requesting this information.

Greene went on to claim that GOP lawmakers who oppose her impeachment bids are failing to represent the American people. Describing her House Republican colleagues, she said: "I don't have enough that are willing to go all the way, truly go all the way, and do what the American people want. It you talk to regular people they want to impeach everyone because in the real world people get fired. They're like impeach them all, they all suck! Right."

Just days after her bid to impeach Mayorkas failed, Greene vowed to make another attempt and on Thursday she claimed Speaker Mike Johnson and Mark Green, chair of the Homeland Security Committee, have pledged to support her efforts.

Posting on X she said: "I've been guaranteed by Speaker Johnson and Chairman Green that we'll be moving forward with impeaching Secretary Mayorkas through the Homeland Committee.

"I'm happy with the plan moving forward to do our work for the American people. The impeachment resolution will be reaching the floor soon."

In September, an impeachment inquiry into President Biden was launched by then House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, which could potentially lead to a full impeachment trial. The investigation is focusing on whether Biden used his influence improperly to benefit the business interests of family members, particularly his son Hunter Biden. The president has vehemently denied any wrongdoing and insists he has nothing to do with his son's business activities.

Back