Republican infighting

GOP lawmaker claims Kevin McCarthy elbowed him after meeting, sparking altercation​

Tennessee Rep. Tim Burchett, one of the eight Republicans who voted to oust Kevin McCarthy from the speakership last month, claimed to ABC News that McCarthy elbowed him in the back after a House GOP meeting on Tuesday morning.

McCarthy denied this, according to an NPR reporter who said she witnessed part of the altercation.

But Burchett said he was speaking to the NPR reporter when McCarthy walked behind him and allegedly put his elbow intentionally into Burchett's back. Burchett said he was pushed forward and then followed McCarthy down the hallway to confront him.

McCarthy accused of shoving Republican who helped oust him: 'Cheap shot from behind'​

Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., has been accused of shoving a Republican congressman who helped oust him as House speaker.

In an on-camera interview from the Capitol Hill outdoor steps after the alleged incident, Rep. Tim Burchett, R-Tenn., alleged McCarthy came up and took a "cheap shot from behind."

"You don't expect that sort of thing from an adult, certainly not one who was once third in line for the White House," Burchett said.

Burchett told reporters that McCarthy's actions seemed "deliberate."

"I'll take a polygraph test. And have Kevin take a polygraph test," he said. "It was deliberate. It was just a cheap shot by a bully."

“You Got No Guts”: Kevin McCarthy Reportedly Shoves GOP Lawmaker
Republican infighting is so bad that lawmakers are getting into physical altercations in the halls of Congress.

NPR reporter Claudia Grisales tweeted Tuesday that while she was talking to Representative Tim Burchett after the Republican conference meeting, Kevin McCarthy walked past. As he walked behind Burchett, McCarthy shoved the Tennessee lawmaker, forcing him to lunge forward.

Last edited:

MAGA-dominated state Republican parties plagued by infighting, money woes​

In Arizona, the state GOP chairman has been begging the Republican National Committee for a financial bailout. Michigan party officials have gotten into physical fights as their finances have dipped into the red. And in Georgia, the state party is in a standoff with the Republican governor and saddled with legal fees for alternate electors put forward in 2020.

Arizona GOP

Arizona: ‘We desperately need to keep the lights on’​

Michigan: ‘Amateur hour’​

In Michigan, infighting within the state GOP has twice broken out into physical altercations. The fights played out as Republicans there have disputed who controls some county parties, with competing factions claiming to be in charge.

Georgia: ‘A severe uphill climb’​

At a bucolic wedding barn in rural Gillsville, halfway between Atlanta and the South Carolina border, a few hundred Republicans came dressed up for a barbecue dinner and an auction to raise money for legal fees of some of the people who served as alternate electors falsely claiming Trump won the 2020 election here.

The state party is stuck paying legal bills for the alternate electors after the executive committee voted in January 2022 to indemnify them, and followed up with another similar vote after former state GOP chair David Shafer’s successor, Josh McKoon, became chair in June, according to a person with knowledge of the state GOP’s internal deliberations. Shafer was charged by Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis, in a case that centers on efforts to overturn Trump’s 2020 defeat. Willis has alleged the elector scheme is part of a criminal conspiracy that includes Trump.

At the fundraiser, second vice chair David Cross said the state party needed help and had been abandoned by Kemp. “I know I’m going to get in trouble for this, but our general has not lifted a finger to help the Georgia GOP,” Cross said to cheers.

Texas Republicans say GOP chairman has 'weaponized' the party as internal strife continues​

Texas GOP Chairman Matt Rinaldi was in and out of the building in 45 minutes.

Rinaldi has said he didn’t know his close friend and colleague, Jonathan Stickland, was meeting in the same Fort Worth office complex on Oct. 6 with Nick Fuentes, a white supremacist who has praised Adolf Hitler. He has denounced Fuentes in no uncertain terms.

But in the month since, Rinaldi has not addressed his relationship with Stickland, then the president of the deep-pocketed Defend Texas Liberty PAC that is among the state party’s top donors. Nor has he responded to nearly half of the party’s 64-person executive board who have signed a letter calling on the party to cut ties with Stickland and the PAC.

The fallout from the meeting has worsened tensions both within the Texas GOP and between Rinaldi and other prominent Texas Republicans. For many, it has underscored an ongoing shift in the state party, which was once primarily focused on fundraising and helping support local Republican clubs and candidates.

Over the past three years, and especially since Rinaldi took over in 2021, the organization has tried instead to assert itself as a driving force behind right-wing policy positions, eager to challenge elected Republicans who leaders it believes are not conservative enough. Rinaldi has been particularly vocal after the Texas House overwhelmingly voted in May to impeach Attorney General Ken Paxton on corruption charges, setting off months of infighting.

Republican infighting kills Texas legislature's chances of passing big border bill​

AUSTIN, Texas — Republican state politicians have failed to unite around comprehensive border security legislation following three emergency legislative sessions that have stretched over the past six months.

The Texas legislature will finish its 30-day special session Tuesday, the third emergency legislative session that Gov. Greg Abbott (R-TX) has called since May.

Effort to remove Michigan GOP chair builds momentum as infighting and debt plague party​

ANSING, Mich. (AP) — Former staunch allies of Michigan GOP Chairwoman Kristina Karamo, who assumed the role following an unsuccessful secretary of state campaign, are now uniting to remove her as the party remains mired in infighting and hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

It's a swift fall for Karamo, an election conspiracy theorist who in February was overwhelmingly elected by grassroots activists to lead the state party through the next presidential election until early 2025. Michigan Republicans were coming off historic losses in the 2022 midterms, and Karamo promised to rebuild the state party into “a political machine that strikes fear in the heart of Democrats.”

Just nine months later, a petition is circulating within the state GOP calling for a vote to remove Karamo as chairwoman, according to internal communications obtained by The Associated Press. Party members supporting the petition say Karamo has done little in her time to advance the party, which had at least $500,000 in debt as of last month.

Va. House GOP votes for Gilbert as minority leader after power struggle​

RICHMOND — House Speaker Todd Gilbert fought off an effort to oust him from Republican House leadership on Sunday, defeating a group of GOP delegates who blamed their party’s losses in Tuesday’s elections on his failure to stand up to Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s political team and their strategy to highlight abortion late in the campaign.

In a closed-door meeting in Richmond on Sunday afternoon, Republicans voted to make Gilbert (R-Shenandoah) their minority leader in the House of Delegates.

“I’m honored that my colleagues have once again put their trust in me to lead our Republican team for the coming term,” Gilbert said in a written statement issued by the caucus, which did not disclose vote totals. “I look forward to working with our caucus to advance our shared Republican values and serve as a check on the worst far-left policies put forward by the incoming Democratic majority.”

Gilbert’s survival spared Youngkin yet another humiliation in a week full of them, as his party failed to hold the House and flip the Senate in elections the governor had billed as a referendum on the first half of his term. The outcome on Election Day dashed Youngkin’s hopes for enacting his conservative legislative agenda in his two remaining years and for making a much-teased, 11th-hour entry into the 2024 presidential campaign. News the next day that the federal government had picked Maryland over Virginia for the FBI’s new headquarters topped it off.

Infighting leads to a crisis in the Kalamazoo County Republican Party​

The chair of the local party chapter says a splinter group is "impersonating" it. A member of the other group suggested the chair was the pretender.​

Opposing factions in Macomb and Hillsdale counties battled for control of local party chapters this summer. Now the Kalamazoo GOP appears to face a similar fight as tension simmering over most of the last year boils over.
Recently the Kalamazoo GOP posted a warning to its website. "Alert: We are being impersonated!"
Kelly Sackett is the chair of the county chapter of the party. She filed a complaint with the Portage Police Department on Oct. 23. Sackett said a recently-dismissed member was impersonating the KGOP and attempting to take over leadership. The police report noted that the department found the matter to be civil, rather than criminal.
Sackett told WMUK that the new group is using the KGOP’s email list to send out fliers, distribute political information and plan events not sanctioned by the K-GOP. She also said that a meeting the new group planned to hold Thursday night was not organized by the party.
Sabrina Pritchett-Evans said Thursday's meeting is official. Pritchett-Evans is a party delegate from Kalamazoo Township and part of the group of Republicans Sackett accuses of "impersonation."
“No, we are not impersonating the Kalamazoo GOP,” said Pritchett-Evans.
“We replace the Kalamazoo GOP. We are Kalamazoo county delegates. We are the KGOP because we replaced them with new executive committee members. Now they are refusing to accept that, but that does not mean that we are impersonating them.”
According to Pritchett-Evans, the split comes amid several disagreements between Sackett and other members of the party, including over elected party delegates Pritchett-Evans said Sackett tried to remove in April. The station has reached out to Sackett for comment.

Marjorie Taylor Greene: 'Our own voters don't even want to vote for Republicans'​

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) complained that her voters no longer want to vote for Republicans because they are not radical enough.

"We're literally losing our country and our children's future," Greene told right-wing podcast host Charlie Kirk on Tuesday. "And I believe that we should be standing up with everything we have in Congress fighting the Biden administration because our own voters don't even want to vote for Republicans in Congress anymore."

She insisted Republican voters still stood behind former President Donald Trump.

"But they are done with Republicans in Congress," she said. "We have to fight harder. We have to earn their trust and show them that we will stop the communist Democrat Party from destroying our country."

She also lashed out at Republicans for refusing to pass bills that would keep her campaign promises.

"I think one of my biggest frustrations, Charlie, is before I became a member of Congress, it was easy for me to say, you know, when I'm in Congress, I'll do this X, Y, and Z. And then when I got there, I found out that just being able to do those things is a lot harder than saying it on the campaign trail," Greene revealed. "And that has been shocking to me."

"I think one of my biggest frustrations, Charlie, is before I became a member of Congress, it was easy for me to say, you know, when I'm in Congress, I'll do this X, Y, and Z. And then when I got there, I found out that just being able to do those things is a lot harder than saying it on the campaign trail," Greene revealed. "And that has been shocking to me."​

"Winning is easy, son. Governing is harder"
-"Hamilton" by Lin Manuel Miranda

the GOP is a total mess right now...might as well split now and move on from each other...magas, and rinos...

Back