OSU vs St Bonaventure in Brooklyn

We continue to recruit the same type of player and continue to get the same results.

Dailey absolutely has the body of an NBA star. It’s no different than Moncrief or Cisse or Keylan Boone. We look the part when we get off the bus but somehow cannot translate that to success.

Recruiting for success isn’t about getting the most stars. It’s roster management and just like game management we fail miserably. This is why I say he’s not great at recruiting. Outside of Cade he hasn’t come close to recruiting, signing and developing a player into NBA talent.

What is the buyout number at the end of the season?
If my calculations are correct, his buyout should be $8M at the end of the season.

Coach Boynton signed a 7 year $21M contract at $3M per year. His buyout is structured to drop with time.
2021-22: $15.75M (75% of remaining money)
2022-23: $13.5M (75% or remaining money)
2023-24: $11.25M (75% of remaining money)
2024-25: $8M (66.7% of remaining money)
2025-26: $5.4M (60% of remaining money)
2026-27: $3.6M (60% of remaining money)
2027-28: $1.8M (60% of remaining money)

Only got to see the second half. Have a few observations.
1. Year 7 and we still don’t seem to have any offensive identity.
2. Our defense is not very good. Marsh in particular was getting picked on (pun intended) on every single pick’n’roll. I wondered why St B ran anything other than that play while he was in the game.
3. Very little ball or player movement. Seems to be a Boynton staple. We have a LITTLE bit of player movement at the start of a few sets, but then the O collapses into hero ball.
4. Our shooting is so bad. FTs and 3’s. Just bad. We had some decent looks, but we suck so much at shooting it was almost irrelevant.
5. Small is our best player and he still made some dumb IQ decisions.
6. Boynton's game management continues to be atrocious. 14-1 run, finally timeout.
7. 7 minutes without a field goal. Again. A Boynton special. I cannot believe he didn’t pick up Underpants’ offense in the years he coached under him.
There is more but I just can’t.

Last edited:
2. Our defense is not very good. Marsh in particular was getting picked on (pun intended) on every single pick’n’roll. I wondered why St B ran anything other than that play while he was in the game.
3. Very little ball or player movement. Seems to be a Boynton staple. We have a LITTLE bit of player movement at the start of a few sets, but then the O collapses into hero ball.
4. Our shooting is so bad. FTs and 3’s. Just bad. We had some decent shots, but we suck so much at shooting it was almost irrelevant.
6. Boyntons game management continues to be atrocious. 14-1 run, finally timeout.
7. 7 minutes without a field goal. Again. A Boynton special. I cannot believe he didn’t pick up Underpants’ offense in the years he coached under him.
Totally agree, unfortunately! 🫤🫤🫤

We continue to recruit the same type of player and continue to get the same results.

Dailey absolutely has the body of an NBA star. It’s no different than Moncrief or Cisse or Keylan Boone. We look the part when we get off the bus but somehow cannot translate that to success.

Recruiting for success isn’t about getting the most stars. It’s roster management and just like game management we fail miserably. This is why I say he’s not great at recruiting. Outside of Cade he hasn’t come close to recruiting, signing and developing a player into NBA talent.
I think that’s my biggest gripe. Just no development. Bryce Thompson is the same guy he was when he got here. A guard that can’t dribble. Year after year of just dribbling the ball straight to the other team with no pressure on him for a transition layup.

I think that’s my biggest gripe. Just no development. Bryce Thompson is the same guy he was when he got here. A guard that can’t dribble. Year after year of just dribbling the ball straight to the other team with no pressure on him for a transition layup.
And he doesn’t pass the ball to other players who are open.

4. Our shooting is so bad. FTs and 3’s. Just bad. We had some decent shots, but we suck so much at shooting it was almost irrelevant.
6. Boyntons game management continues to be atrocious. 14-1 run, finally timeout.
2. So...He got caught watchin' the paint dry...

I can't help but think back to my early days of organized basketball in middle school when we ran what I recall being named the Stanford offense. It's basically constant screening, cutting, passing which almost always led to multiple successive open looks, usually a layup or corner of the free throw line jumper. We drilled endlessly on both that and shooting free throws. If a middle school coach in BFE Kansas can understand the importance of and effectively teach those basics, why can't a D1 coach? For the love of God stop having 3 guys standing around doing nothing 20 ft from the basket every offensive possession! It's like all our sets are predicated on the point beating his man off the dribble. Which isnt a good plan to start, but is made even worse by never having a true PG with good handles and shooting ability on the roster!

Heck it would seem to me free throws are a great poor shooting form re-training tool for the offseason. Until your form is consistently correct and your FT percentage is 80%+ as a guard, you will take zero shots further out than the FT line. Break that rule? Sit your a$$ on the bench.

This team desperately needs a Norman Dale from Hoosiers type coach to instill some fundamentals and discipline.

I can't help but think back to my early days of organized basketball in middle school when we ran what I recall being named the Stanford offense. It's basically constant screening, cutting, passing which almost always led to multiple successive open looks, usually a layup or corner of the free throw line jumper. We drilled endlessly on both that and shooting free throws. If a middle school coach in BFE Kansas can understand the importance of and effectively teach those basics, why can't a D1 coach? For the love of God stop having 3 guys standing around doing nothing 20 ft from the basket every offensive possession! It's like all our sets are predicated on the point beating his man off the dribble. Which isnt a good plan to start, but is made even worse by never having a true PG with good handles and shooting ability on the roster!

Heck it would seem to me free throws are a great poor shooting form re-training tool for the offseason. Until your form is consistently correct and your FT percentage is 80%+ as a guard, you will take zero shots further out than the FT line. Break that rule? Sit your a$$ on the bench.

This team desperately needs a Norman Dale from Hoosiers type coach to instill some fundamentals and discipline.
Where in BFE Kansas ?

Back