Oklahoma is going backwards

Last edited:

Well he got National Attention ..he also confirmed my suspicions that he had ZERO idea what the term Hispanic meant when he originally crafted that bill

Proposed Oklahoma bill would single out Hispanic gang members as ‘terrorists’​

An Oklahoma bill has stirred controversy in the state Legislature for seeking to label Hispanic people, in particular, who may be gang members, as terrorists.

The bill, written by Republican state Rep. J.J. Humphrey, proposes that any person who “is of Hispanic descent living within the state of Oklahoma,” is a member of a gang and has been convicted of “gang-related offenses” would be deemed a terrorist. No other racial or ethnic group is singled out in the legislation.

Humphrey said the aim of the bill is to target cartel members bringing fentanyl and other illicit drugs into the United States through the southern border.

“What I’m asking for in this bill is to protect our state, protect the United States against what’s going on, on the border,” Humphrey told KFOR, NBC’s Oklahoma affiliate.

Humphrey has also said that “Chinese nationals” are contributing to the fentanyl crisis, but did not explicitly mention that group in the bill. There were 3,547 unintentional drug overdose deaths in the state between 2017 to 2021, according to data from the Oklahoma State Department of Health. Fentanyl was involved in 579 of those deaths.

He has since apologized for zeroing in on Hispanics and said he plans to change the language in the bill to say “undocumented illegals,” according to KFOR. But he insists he wasn’t wrong.

“I apologize for using the word Hispanic, but I was not wrong. Again, these are Hispanic. Reality is they are Hispanic. There’s nothing to be ashamed with,”
Humphrey said. He did not immediately respond to a request for comment from NBC News.

State Sen. Michael Brooks, a Democrat and chair of the Legislative Latino Caucus, told KFOR that the bill is unlikely to pass.

“All groups have a constitutional right to due process and also a constitutional right not to be discriminated against or to be singled out,” Brooks said. “Nobody is in favor or I don’t think there’s an appetite anymore for more divisive politics. Personally, I think his constituents deserve better than this type of legislation.”

Humphrey has proposed another controversial bill this legislative session that seeks to use animal control to remove "furries," individuals who role-play as anthropomorphized animal characters, from school activities.

Blackwell church pastor and wife arrested on child abuse and kidnapping allegations
January 17, 2024 | Courts|Featured
BLACKWELL — A Blackwell church pastor and his wife are behind bars on allegations of child abuse and kidnapping.

Blackwell police arrested Keith Holt, 58, and Candi Holt, 53, Tuesday at their home in the 700 block of west Blackwell Ave.

Police report that at the beginning of the year, the Department of Human Services notified police of a couple who had left several children alone while they went to Arkansas.

DHS officials began an investigation and reportedly learned that the family, consisting of eight children, moved from Arkansas to Blackwell eight months ago. DHS reportedly received several referrals with concerns about what was going on in the house with the kids.

On Jan. 14 police and DHS went to the residence to check the welfare of the children and the Holts refused to open the door. Official returned to the residence on Jan. 15 and experienced the same outcome. On Jan. 16 DHS workers and Lt. Cory Ingram went to the address and this time the parents answered the door and let DHS and Lt. Ingram into the residence.

After a short investigation at the house Lt. Ingram had enough probable cause to arrest the Holts on child abuse allegations.

Police report that during the investigation it came to light that Keith Holt, who identified himself as the Lead Pastor at the House of Prayer Church in Blackwell, had been abusing several of the children in his home by beating them with a wooden board sometimes up 40 times per beating and also locking them in the bathroom for several days without food and water as punishment. The children were also reportedly beat with a belt.

Officials report that this was common practices inside the house.

Sources at the church say that Holt has been filling in for pastor John Jack who is ill.

All of the children were taken into custody and will be forensically interviewed.

Police report that it is a very large and complex child abuse case that could possibly have up to eight victims who have been abused for an unknown amount of time. This case is still on going at this time.

The Holts were transported to the Kay County Detention Center this afternoon.

Keith Holt is being held on child abuse, kidnapping, and child neglect allegations while Candi Holt is being held on enabling child abuse, kidnapping, and child neglect.

The probable cause affidavit is being submitted to the district attorney office for review. Other charges are possible as the investigation continues. Anyone with information about this case is asked to contact the the Blac
kwell Police Department.

This is awesome. Finally this a conservative in this state does something i agree with
I've been a teacher for 14 years. I have worked in rural Oklahoma, inner-city Oklahoma City, and the suburbs. 12 of those 14 years were spent at either 6A-1 high schools or middle schools that feed into 6A-1 high schools. So some of the biggest schools in the state. Not once in the 14 years I have been an educator have I ever seen or heard of a furry being in a school. This stuff doesn't happen. It's a rumor of a rumor of a rumor that he heard from his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate and this guy is taking it as fact. This is performative nonsense that is wasting time that would be better served solving this state's actual problems. Like the fact that businesses don't want to move here and school districts are hemorrhaging teachers.

I've been a teacher for 14 years. I have worked in rural Oklahoma, inner-city Oklahoma City, and the suburbs. 12 of those 14 years were spent at either 6A-1 high schools or middle schools that feed into 6A-1 high schools. So some of the biggest schools in the state. Not once in the 14 years I have been an educator have I ever seen or heard of a furry being in a school. This stuff doesn't happen. It's a rumor of a rumor of a rumor that he heard from his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate and this guy is taking it as fact. This is performative nonsense that is wasting time that would be better served solving this state's actual problems. Like the fact that businesses don't want to move here and school districts are hemorrhaging teachers.
I will go a little further. This is my 35th year in education. I’m retired, I farm a lot, but I also do school consulting from the smallest schools in the state to the biggest schools in the state. If there’s the weird and strange I see it, deal with it and probably have a t-shirt about it. I’m extremely conservative, I’ve been Baptist since nine months before I was born. I’ve got all the indicators of being someone that could feed these ideas for these bills. Let me state:
THESE PEOPLE NEED PSYCHIATRIC HELP TO QUIT WASTING OUR TIME AND RESOURCES. THEY NEED TO STF UP AND LEAVE US ALONE, PLEASE!

Told her to go sit in the parking lot and come back in to the ER for an abortion when she was crashing or actively having a heart attack as the only ways they would perform an abortion in a non viable pregnancy that was a threat to her life

US government rejects complaint that woman was improperly denied an emergency abortion in Oklahoma
FILE - Dani Thayer, left, and Marina Lanae, right, both of Tulsa, Okla., hold pro-choice signs outside the state Capitol, Wednesday, April 13, 2022, in Oklahoma City. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said Friday, Jan 19, 2024, an Oklahoma hospital did not violate federal law when doctors told a woman with a nonviable pregnancy to wait in the parking lot until her condition worsened enough to qualify for an abortion under the state's strict ban. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki File)
FILE - Dani Thayer, left, and Marina Lanae, right, both of Tulsa, Okla., hold pro-choice signs outside the state Capitol, Wednesday, April 13, 2022, in Oklahoma City. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said Friday, Jan 19, 2024, an Oklahoma hospital did not violate federal law when doctors told a woman with a nonviable pregnancy to wait in the parking lot until her condition worsened enough to qualify for an abortion under the state’s strict ban. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki File)

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services says an Oklahoma hospital did not violate federal law when doctors told a woman with a nonviable pregnancy to wait in the parking lot until her condition worsened enough to qualify for an abortion under the state’s strict ban.

Jaci Statton, 26, was among several women last year who challenged abortion restrictions that went into effect in Republican-led states after the Supreme Court revoked the nationwide right to abortion in 2022.

Rather than join a lawsuit, Statton filed a complaint with the Department of Health and Human Services under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act, or EMTALA. The complaint came a little more than a year after Biden’s administration informed hospitals that they must provide abortion services if the mother’s life is at risk. At the time, President Joe Biden’s administration said EMTALA supersedes state abortion bans that don’t have adequate exceptions for medical emergencies.

The Biden administration’s denial of Statton’s claim is the latest development in the ongoing scrutiny over how to apply EMTALA in the wake of the Supreme Court ruling that overturned Roe v. Wade. It also underscores the uphill legal battle reproductive rights advocates when pushing back against state abortion bans.

Oklahoma supporters of the right to abortion hopefully are working toward submitting a petition soon to vote for the Oklahoma state right to an abortion in November. I can't comprehend how a Republican, like Sen. Mark Wayne Mullin can campaign from 2022 on being pro-life with no exception. How would he like it if his wife's pregnancy went all wrong before the fetus was viable and her doctor determined she needed an abortion at once to save her life, but couldn't give her one? I guess Mullin, if actually not wanting to be a hypocrite, would have to concede to God that it must be due to His will that his wife must never give birth and must die. To circumvent His will with an abortion would only invite His supreme wrath. Of course, most everyone else with a rational and lifesaving head, would want the woman's life to be saved and doubly so, if she had little kids at home.

I also can't comprehend why Oklahoma women voted for Mullin. It's just the utter height of absurdity. I guess they respect God's will, too, if it's His will they must die from being pregnant. If so, just where was God's will when it came to determining if Hitler's mother should NOT give birth. Or Timothy McVeigh's mother? Anyway, no wonder I hate organized religion. My mother didn't care much for organized religion, either, for being against her for wanting to wear pants to church. So, she quit going to church. My father didn't think it was important to go to church, either even though he believed in God. Just watching TBN and reading the bible suited him fine. How both parents felt, I don't see it as a poor influence upon me as a result.

Last edited:
If the Oklahoma legislature passes it, the Common Sense Freedom of Press Control Act would place more monitoring requirements and financial obligations on journalists and media outlets.
State Sen. Nathan Dahm (R - Broken Arrow) authored Senate Bill 1837, which seeks to “avoid potential abuse of the freedom of the press.”

Under the proposed requirements, anyone who works for a media outlet would need to submit to criminal background checks and quarterly drug tests.

The bill would also require them to file for a license from the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, obtain $1 million in liability insurance, and attend an eight-hour “propaganda-free” safety training developed by PragerU.

The license for individual journalists would cost $290 every five years. Media outlets would also need to pay $250,000 for a license every year and obtain $50 million in liability insurance. That applies to national and local outlets alike.

Those outlets would also be required to provide the following disclaimer before each story, or throughout any video: “WARNING: THIS ENTITY IS KNOWN TO PROVIDE PROPAGANDA. CONSUMING PROPAGANDA MAY BE DETRIMENTAL TO YOUR HEALTH AND HEALTH OF THE REPUBLIC.”

The Oklahoma legislature will have an opportunity to consider the bill when its session begins next month. The bill could come into conflict with the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which enshrines the freedom of the press.

Back