NCAA Tourey Thread

Time for John Smith to retire.
Yep, time to hand Coleman the reins and see what he can do. After the successful dual season, I went into these championships thinking a top 5 would cap off a solid year with momentum heading in the right direction. Instead they finish with a lackluster 10th with all ten wrestlers qualified. Don’t want to hear about the B10, and it’s just not possible to compete near the top ( excluding PSU as they are in a league of their own), Cornell and Iowa St were 2 and 4 with Arizona St and Va Tech not far behind.

I can tell you he didn’t have 8 full shots…not even close. He had 4 legit shots compared to Vito’s 11-12. Had one slide by and miss in the first period. First head butt was incidental…no malice behind it, it’s wrestling it happens. Your perception on big 10 wrestling is off….the alcohol must be kicking in hard. Vito picked up the pace and fix was struggling to handle it. Everytime fix would think he was bleeding he’d let the ref know. The third period the ref brushed him off and said he was fine.

3 of the top 5 teams are big 10 and 5 teams finished in the top 10. If you’ve following wrestling they’ve run the college scene the last 15 years.

In terms of plott…what’s there to say. He lost to the Most outstanding wrestler in the tournament. Most years he wins…just got beat by a better wrestler. Lay off the sauce man. It is what it is…get some sleep. The sun will rise tomorrow
Lol stop with the "aLcOhOl MuSt Be KiCkInG iN" trope. Zebra is right, vito did the desanto strategy of wildly bull rush to try and force stall calls. Talk about legit shots, how many did vito have? Not just a rush forward, but actually landing something, anything? So many more that it justified Fix being, far as I recall, the only wrestler all night to get hit with even a stall warning let alone point? And hit with them less than 30 seconds being back into neutral position in the second period during a stretch when both wrestlers were at most getting into head/hand locks?

Maybe Fix still loses without the stall calls, can't say. But it's fact that the way too early stalls completely changed the trajectory of the match. It's ok for you to admit that, give it a try.

I can tell you he didn’t have 8 full shots…not even close. He had 4 legit shots compared to Vito’s 11-12. Had one slide by and miss in the first period. First head butt was incidental…no malice behind it, it’s wrestling it happens. Your perception on big 10 wrestling is off….the alcohol must be kicking in hard. Vito picked up the pace and fix was struggling to handle it. Everytime fix would think he was bleeding he’d let the ref know. The third period the ref brushed him off and said he was fine.

3 of the top 5 teams are big 10 and 5 teams finished in the top 10. If you’ve following wrestling they’ve run the college scene the last 15 years.

In terms of plott…what’s there to say. He lost to the Most outstanding wrestler in the tournament. Most years he wins…just got beat by a better wrestler. Lay off the sauce man. It is what it is…get some sleep. The sun will rise tomorrow
"Vito's 11-12" shots...
Tell me you haven't watched it again without telling me you haven't watched it again...
The only way that is true is if you count every subtle motion forward.
Also, Vito was the one that kept bleeding. Twice when Fix went to the sideline for Vito's bloodtime, you can see them asking if he needs assistance and he shook it off...Fix just asked for water.
You're trolling and it isn't close. Fix was beat by a sound opponent but there was definitely something about that match that was off.

"Vito's 11-12" shots...
Tell me you haven't watched it again without telling me you haven't watched it again...
The only way that is true is if you count every subtle motion forward.
Also, Vito was the one that kept bleeding. Twice when Fix went to the sideline for Vito's bloodtime, you can see them asking if he needs assistance and he shook it off...Fix just asked for water.
You're trolling and it isn't close. Fix was beat by a sound opponent but there was definitely something about that match that was off.
fix kept running to his corner….even Burroughs pointed it out as well as his body language. You can tell fix was tying to survive and couldn’t handle his offensive attack. The ref even told him to get back to center in the third. I’m far from trolling..what’s done is done. One wrestler was active for the entire match and the other wasn’t…fix was the latter. If you want to argue, go ahead…it won’t change my mind. Sure as hell won’t change the result sadly

Lol stop with the "aLcOhOl MuSt Be KiCkInG iN" trope. Zebra is right, vito did the desanto strategy of wildly bull rush to try and force stall calls. Talk about legit shots, how many did vito have? Not just a rush forward, but actually landing something, anything? So many more that it justified Fix being, far as I recall, the only wrestler all night to get hit with even a stall warning let alone point? And hit with them less than 30 seconds being back into neutral position in the second period during a stretch when both wrestlers were at most getting into head/hand locks?

Maybe Fix still loses without the stall calls, can't say. But it's fact that the way too early stalls completely changed the trajectory of the match. It's ok for you to admit that, give it a try.
DeSanto strategy is wild and quite the reach…heads colliding happens in wrestling. Vito had at least 10 legit shots….vito has always wrestled this way…go watch the 2023 world championships if you don’t believe me. Fix has been surviving and advancing. 1 takedown in his last 4 matches wasn’t going to get him a natty. It’s okay fix didn’t win…it’s okay to admit it. Doesn’t change the fact he had one hell of a career here. He just wasn’t better than Vito or RBY

DeSanto strategy is wild and quite the reach…heads colliding happens in wrestling. Vito had at least 10 legit shots….vito has always wrestled this way…go watch the 2023 world championships if you don’t believe me. Fix has been surviving and advancing. 1 takedown in his last 4 matches wasn’t going to get him a natty. It’s okay fix didn’t win…it’s okay to admit it. Doesn’t change the fact he had one hell of a career here. He just wasn’t better than Vito or RBY
Lack of takedowns doesn't automatically mean someone is stalling and needs to be pegged for it. Same applies to your opponent being more aggressive. Just because vito had more shots doesn't mean fix had none or was running away scared all match like the quickness of the stalling calls would imply he was doing.

Maybe you're the the one who should put down the booze and rewatch the match, guy.

10 legit shots...
I don't think you actually watched the match at all...you base everything else on history...probably basing your count on what Vito did in other matches.
Vito did more strutin' & cussin' than taking shots.

And now I'm curious what your criteria is for a "shot".

Both of you need to shut up. Here's the real issue. Fix couldn't get a takedown. Period. If he gets a takedown, he wins. No stalling calls. He wasn't aggressive enough. Period. Plus after one stalling call, he must adjust to the ref. Regardless of whether the call was too fast. You have to adjust to the officiating. He didn't. And that was that. He's a great ambassador for our school, just not good enough to win it all. He hasn't improved that much in the last few years. So let's move on and concentrate on the bigger issue, which is how to get back to the top.

See, you're arguing under the assumption that we believe Fix didn't lose to a quality opponent and you believe that the reason is your unfounded opinion of Fix's style. One of the opinions about OSU is they are not "built for tournament play". Ok, fine but part of that is survive and advance. Fix was seeking an elusive goal for him. He is talented but in a class that has been stacked. He was more aggressive in the finals than the other matches because that was his goal. Wrestling is like other sports, chatter starts about a wrestler and the simple-minded folks pile on the echo. Either he did what he needed to do to get there or he's on the backside.
My only argument is for you to stop using the tired rhetoric that Fix wasn't being aggressive, he was...but he was still beaten by a quality opponent.

Both of you need to shut up. Here's the real issue. Fix couldn't get a takedown. Period. If he gets a takedown, he wins. No stalling calls. He wasn't aggressive enough. Period. Plus after one stalling call, he must adjust to the ref. Regardless of whether the call was too fast. You have to adjust to the officiating. He didn't. And that was that. He's a great ambassador for our school, just not good enough to win it all. He hasn't improved that much in the last few years. So let's move on and concentrate on the bigger issue, which is how to get back to the top.
It's a message board...you shut up....or get the bee outta your bonnet.
No. Fix did not get a takedown. But he did try and take the shots. He wasn't running from Vito.

We won't be on top for a while. The resource pool is completely different from PSU and others. And attitudes like yours trying to shut down discussion and passion for the sport around here are part of the issue. A fanbase is grown from multiple viewpoints and excitement for the players. Not everyone has to applaud some styles but running our guys down by jumping on the rhetorical bandwagon will only further the narrative that we no longer support/want the program to thrive. Not all of PSU finaliats won yesterday, but I don't see their fanbase running their guys down. We have some great guys in the room and I don't want to lose them because our fanbase is furthering the narrative.
Coleman Scott is the obvious difference in our program...let it simmer, I'm excited for these young guys to figure it out. Several of them are very close. Spratley, Jamison, Williams, Travis, Thompson, Robb, CC, Plott...so ready for next year.

It's a message board...you shut up....or get the bee outta your bonnet.
No. Fix did not get a takedown. But he did try and take the shots. He wasn't running from Vito.

We won't be on top for a while. The resource pool is completely different from PSU and others. And attitudes like yours trying to shut down discussion and passion for the sport around here are part of the issue. A fanbase is grown from multiple viewpoints and excitement for the players. Not everyone has to applaud some styles but running our guys down by jumping on the rhetorical bandwagon will only further the narrative that we no longer support/want the program to thrive. Not all of PSU finaliats won yesterday, but I don't see their fanbase running their guys down. We have some great guys in the room and I don't want to lose them because our fanbase is furthering the narrative.
Coleman Scott is the obvious difference in our program...let it simmer, I'm excited for these young guys to figure it out. Several of them are very close. Spratley, Jamison, Williams, Travis, Thompson, Robb, CC, Plott...so ready for next year.
You don't know my passion for the sport.....I wrestled from 1st grade all the way through high school. Not good enough to win state, but good enough to place. Not good enough to wrestle for OSU, but would have loved it. Life changes cut my athletic career short. You also don't have any idea how much money I give to this sport, and only this sport. But arguing over stall calls doesn't change the fact that he lost. And it sucks. I don't know Fix personally, but I know his family. I grew up in Sand Springs. I know his mom, his uncles, and his grandfather was my high school coach. So I know way more about this sport then most people on a message board.

You don't know my passion for the sport.....I wrestled from 1st grade all the way through high school. Not good enough to win state, but good enough to place. Not good enough to wrestle for OSU, but would have loved it. Life changes cut my athletic career short. You also don't have any idea how much money I give to this sport, and only this sport. But arguing over stall calls doesn't change the fact that he lost. And it sucks. I don't know Fix personally, but I know his family. I grew up in Sand Springs. I know his mom, his uncles, and his grandfather was my high school coach. So I know way more about this sport then most people on a message board.
Ok. Still doesn't change my point about the other poster running down our guys over a national final. He keeps talking about my emotion. My emotion isn't rooted in frustration from lack of winning. Mine is in hoping to build the program up not down. Fix was in the final. Any other wrestler makes it the way he did and the narrative is that he gritted out a tough gutsy path to the finals. But, no, instead he gets critiqued to the nth degree and told he didn't earn it. B.S.

Lack of takedowns doesn't automatically mean someone is stalling and needs to be pegged for it. Same applies to your opponent being more aggressive. Just because vito had more shots doesn't mean fix had none or was running away scared all match like the quickness of the stalling calls would imply he was doing.

Maybe you're the the one who should put down the booze and rewatch the match, guy.
Fix was inactive…one guy was active and forcing action. The stall calls were warranted…one guy was controlling the center of the mat and it wasn’t fix. Maybe you need to take off the orange colored glasses…he was passive like the rest of the previous finals. He only scored points via escapes, technical violations, and stall calls from his opponents. He’s always been passive in the finals and last night was no different. But hey we can keep this up if you want. I’m not going to blame the refs for his lost.

See, you're arguing under the assumption that we believe Fix didn't lose to a quality opponent and you believe that the reason is your unfounded opinion of Fix's style. One of the opinions about OSU is they are not "built for tournament play". Ok, fine but part of that is survive and advance. Fix was seeking an elusive goal for him. He is talented but in a class that has been stacked. He was more aggressive in the finals than the other matches because that was his goal. Wrestling is like other sports, chatter starts about a wrestler and the simple-minded folks pile on the echo. Either he did what he needed to do to get there or he's on the backside.
My only argument is for you to stop using the tired rhetoric that Fix wasn't being aggressive, he was...but he was still beaten by a quality opponent.
He wasn’t being aggressive and I’ll stand on that…if you don’t like it, get over it…see a therapist or something. That’s my opinion…he wrestled the same exact way as the previous finals he was in.

My opinion about the team not built for the NCAA proved true. We’re ranked 2nd in the country in duals but finished 10th. If this team was a top 2 team, they would’ve finished higher no question but duals are different than tournament. The mistake you make in a dual you can’t make it the NCAA, big XIIs. Pressure is much higher than in a dual. That’s not a knock, we have a young team that will grow with time. Just say you agree to disagree and call it a day if you’re that bothered with what I’m saying.

Daton is on of my all-time favorite wrestlers! He is one tough son-of-a-gun, physically and mentally! I hope I live to see this young man stand on a podium and watch a Gold Medal being hung around his neck. Regardless, the kid is a winner!

Back