Lakes near Stillwater.

Llcoolw

Wholesome AF
Patreon Supporter
Just found myself unexpectedly coming back to OK. Going to be near Stillwater/Guthrie/Edmond areas. Besides Arcadia, which ones are best for skiing? Thanks in advance.

Just found myself unexpectedly coming back to OK. Going to be near Stillwater/Guthrie/Edmond areas. Besides Arcadia, which ones are best for skiing? Thanks in advance.
Sooner <gag> Reservoir, North of Stillwater has good deep water, good fishing too.

I'd say Blackwell would be better for skiing than Arcadia. The southern half of Arcadia is very shallow and it's probably really bad now that we're in an extreme drought. Sooner is a good recommendation. Spent alot of time there skiing when I was a kid. Keystone is more of a Tulsa area lake, but it isn't a long drive from Stillwater. My personal favorite is Skiatook lake. My sister and brother in law have a boat on Skiatook full time so we go there several times a year. Just went 2 weekends ago. I live in Edmond and it's a little over an hour and a half from my house.

Sooner <gag> Reservoir, North of Stillwater has good deep water, good fishing too.

I'd say Blackwell would be better for skiing than Arcadia. The southern half of Arcadia is very shallow and it's probably really bad now that we're in an extreme drought. Sooner is a good recommendation. Spent alot of time there skiing when I was a kid. Keystone is more of a Tulsa area lake, but it isn't a long drive from Stillwater. My personal favorite is Skiatook lake. My sister and brother in law have a boat on Skiatook full time so we go there several times a year. Just went 2 weekends ago. I live in Edmond and it's a little over an hour and a half from my house.
Has it always been called sooner reservoir? First I’ve heard of it. Definitely will check into it. I assumed Blackwell was the answer but it’s been a long while.

Extreme drought? Freakin great.

Thanks for the infos

Has it always been called sooner reservoir? First I’ve heard of it. Definitely will check into it. I assumed Blackwell was the answer but it’s been a long while.

Extreme drought? Freakin great.

Thanks for the infos
Yep it's always been called Sooner. It's kind of located smack dab in the middle between Stillwater and Ponca City on highway 177. Wikipeida says it was built in 1972. That was our go to skiing lake in the mid 80's when I was a kid. It's not the prettiest lake because there aren't really many trees out there. I always had a blast skiing and kneeboarding out there though.

Yeah, we are in an extreme drought right now in the western half of the state. The line runs right through Edmond. We're supposed to get several days of rain this week so hopefully it makes a dent. Maybe May will be rainy, I hope.

I'll say in reference to Sooner Lake; if it's at all windy, it can be pretty rough water for no bigger than it is. It was built for the power plant, so it kinda is on top of a hill making it more susceptible to the wind. There are some spots you can get out of the wind, but it makes for a small skiing area. On a calmer day, it's great & handy though.
On a positive, it stays filled from pumps at the Arkansas river, so not affected as much by drought.

All the small town lakes around Stillwater are good to great fishing. Lone chimney. Pawnee. Fairfax. Lake Ponca is nice.
I've been meaning to get out to Lone Chimney to fish. Had someone tell me it was stocked with Florida black bass species.

Back