John Smith retires

I'm totally shocked. Recently, he hasn't had the great success of the past, but he's still a legend.

He's only 58. I hope his health is ok.

Like many other coaches nationwide, I’d guess NIL is forcing coaches to question how they can coach with money being the only determining factor. Loyalty is DEAD only a higher paycheck matters. IMO NIL is the end of amateur athletics. Schools with huge supporters will just buy the best players and teams.

Is that what is going on in collage wrestling?

I don't know. But I thought Penn State advantage was Sanderson, tons of local talent, and the regional training facility (which OSU now has but was slow to set up). And now they have best talent, so all the top prospects want to go to PSU to work out with the best.

But for Penn State, everyone else is pretty close.

Is that what is going on in collage wrestling?

I don't know. But I thought Penn State advantage was Sanderson, tons of local talent, and the regional training facility (which OSU now has but was slow to set up). And now they have best talent, so all the top prospects want to go to PSU to work out with the best.

But for Penn State, everyone else is pretty close.

I was told a HW transfer we were talking with got offered 900K from a big 10 school.

My brother (the gooner) beat John Smith once in grade school in a tournament in Shawnee. We were wrestling for the South Side Y and John for the Del City Y. My brother had a hard time making weight that morning and instead of just wrestling up a weight for the tournament put on sweats and ran for an hour and weighed in again. He wrestled John-John (as he was known then) in the finals. My brother took first, Smith second. The funny thing is, my brother doesn't remember the match and doesn't even really remember the tournament except for not making weight and having to run to make weight. He wouldn't remember it at all if I hadn't been there to witness it (my very best match in high school is that way too, I don't remember anything after shaking hands and shooting a single leg). But that is kind of the way wrestling is, our greatest moments of victory require such intense concentration and focus that it's difficult to remember.

My brother beat the most decorated U.S. wrestler of all time, the GOAT.

He's only 58. I hope his health is ok.
Wrestling coaching requires you to be on the mat. You can't do it until you're in you're 70s like football, where it's primarily cerebral, x's and o's, scouting, strategy. The body eventually reaches a point where it simply can't do it any more and you have to turn it over to someone younger. That's exactly what happened with Dan Gable.

Hendrickson? Man that's a crazy amount of money for a one year guy if that's who you're talking about
The lack of transparency with respect to NIL deals results in rampant rumors (not saying that is the case here). It is truly the wild wild west currently. It will likely come to an act of legislation, NCAA oversight, and/or unionization or collective bargaining to “police” matters or at least attempt to do so.

Like many other coaches nationwide, I’d guess NIL is forcing coaches to question how they can coach with money being the only determining factor. Loyalty is DEAD only a higher paycheck matters. IMO NIL is the end of amateur athletics. Schools with huge supporters will just buy the best players and teams.
There is still a lot of loyalty, but it's the loyalty of the big money boosters, not the athletes.

I don't blame athletes for finding the best deal. Very few will find a professional career in MMA. But like others, I hope for transparency and regulation.

The lack of transparency with respect to NIL deals results in rampant rumors (not saying that is the case here). It is truly the wild wild west currently. It will likely come to an act of legislation, NCAA oversight, and/or unionization or collective bargaining to “police” matters or at least attempt to do so.
I think things will eventually be unionized also. It's really the only way things will be able to be regulated. Not a big of that as that will move college athletics into more of the pro model, but I do believe that's where we're headed.

My brother (the gooner) beat John Smith once in grade school in a tournament in Shawnee. We were wrestling for the South Side Y and John for the Del City Y. My brother had a hard time making weight that morning and instead of just wrestling up a weight for the tournament put on sweats and ran for an hour and weighed in again. He wrestled John-John (as he was known then) in the finals. My brother took first, Smith second. The funny thing is, my brother doesn't remember the match and doesn't even really remember the tournament except for not making weight and having to run to make weight. He wouldn't remember it at all if I hadn't been there to witness it (my very best match in high school is that way too, I don't remember anything after shaking hands and shooting a single leg). But that is kind of the way wrestling is, our greatest moments of victory require such intense concentration and focus that it's difficult to remember.

My brother beat the most decorated U.S. wrestler of all time, the GOAT.
Sadly, I remember it all. Jumping rope in a hot room in full sweats and finally making weight. I was so tired I got my *** handed to me on the mat. But being on the team overall is a very fond memory.

I was told a HW transfer we were talking with got offered 900K from a big 10 school.
That’s beyond absurd.
We really should stop using the term NIL. What’s happening is pure pay for play which isn’t what the NIL arguement ever was.

Back