Gov. Kevin Stitt to take legal action against Oklahoma legislature

PF5

Deputy
Gov. Kevin Stitt to take legal action against Oklahoma legislature koco

OKLAHOMA CITY —
Gov. Kevin Stitt is taking legal action against the Oklahoma legislature.

This occurred after House lawmakers pushed through the last remaining override to officially extend two revenue-sharing agreements with the tribes through 2024. Stitt said lawmakers are challenging his ability to negotiate compacts and because of that, the Oklahoma Supreme Court needs to get involved to rule who has what powers.

Lawmakers said they are well within their right to make sure all compacts are negotiated in good faith and believe an extension of the current deal will do just that.

"I will fight as long as I’m governor to make sure we’re one state, with one set of rules, regardless of your race or where you live, we should all be under the same rules," Stitt said.

The governor took legal action after lawmakers pushed through one remaining override Monday morning. State lawmakers officially extended two revenue-sharing compacts through 2024 with the hope it will allow time for the governor and the tribes to improve relations.

Legislative leaders rejected the governor's argument that tribes are plotting a land grab. Stitt took issue with the term "Indian country," a term he said is too broad.

With the lawsuit filed on Monday morning, it's too early to predict when we'll get a ruling from the Supreme Court.

Gov. Kevin Stitt to take legal action against Oklahoma legislature koco

OKLAHOMA CITY —
Gov. Kevin Stitt is taking legal action against the Oklahoma legislature.

This occurred after House lawmakers pushed through the last remaining override to officially extend two revenue-sharing agreements with the tribes through 2024. Stitt said lawmakers are challenging his ability to negotiate compacts and because of that, the Oklahoma Supreme Court needs to get involved to rule who has what powers.

Lawmakers said they are well within their right to make sure all compacts are negotiated in good faith and believe an extension of the current deal will do just that.

"I will fight as long as I’m governor to make sure we’re one state, with one set of rules, regardless of your race or where you live, we should all be under the same rules," Stitt said.

The governor took legal action after lawmakers pushed through one remaining override Monday morning. State lawmakers officially extended two revenue-sharing compacts through 2024 with the hope it will allow time for the governor and the tribes to improve relations.

Legislative leaders rejected the governor's argument that tribes are plotting a land grab. Stitt took issue with the term "Indian country," a term he said is too broad.

With the lawsuit filed on Monday morning, it's too early to predict when we'll get a ruling from the Supreme Court.
Our state leadership is the tits!

Stitt challenging the legislature’s…..right to override vetos and to make laws. :unsure::p

Back