Cowboy Golf 2023

Looks good but I do not care who it benefits, I am not paying $130 for a head cover. That is four rounds of golf at my local muni.
I should not divulge my headcover collection then. $130 is pretty reasonable compared to some Scotty and SWAG releases 🤣🤣🤣

The Cowboys are hovering near the cut line at the NCAA Las Vegas Regional in the 2nd round currently in 6th place. Hard to believe the program is in this position lately.

Sad that our two flagship programs, Golf and Wrestling are falling off a cliff.
Yes it is. Hopefully with what looks like a change in recruiting on the golf side, it will turn around soon. The golf program seems to be recruiting more kids from the USA (and Oklahoma) and less from over seas. I personally feel that we have emphasized recruiting over seas players and have missed out on local prospects. OU seems to recruit more kids from Oklahoma and Texas. It seems to be paying off for them lately.

Sad that our two flagship programs, Golf and Wrestling are falling off a cliff.

Yes it is. Hopefully with what looks like a change in recruiting on the golf side, it will turn around soon. The golf program seems to be recruiting more kids from the USA (and Oklahoma) and less from over seas. I personally feel that we have emphasized recruiting over seas players and have missed out on local prospects. OU seems to recruit more kids from Oklahoma and Texas. It seems to be paying off for them lately.
The golf program is fine, we lost a top 4 player in the world to pro golf late in the cycle because he had originally declared to come back. He made the best decision by taking the LIV offer, we couldn’t have seen that offer coming late and neither could he. Stark transferring hurt as well, he was a top 30 player in the world. Put those two on this team and bump your 1 to a 3, 2 to a 4 and 3 to a 5 and all of a sudden you have a match play caliber team who could likely compete with ASU.

Adding the #2 recruiting class, we should be in match play semi’s at a minimum in ‘25. We might make match play next year.

The golf program is fine, we lost a top 4 player in the world to pro golf late in the cycle because he had originally declared to come back. He made the best decision by taking the LIV offer, we couldn’t have seen that offer coming late and neither could he. Stark transferring hurt as well, he was a top 30 player in the world. Put those two on this team and bump your 1 to a 3, 2 to a 4 and 3 to a 5 and all of a sudden you have a match play caliber team who could likely compete with ASU.

Adding the #2 recruiting class, we should be in match play semi’s at a minimum in ‘25. We might make match play next year.
I hope you are right, but not making the NCAA Championship for only the 2nd time in school history isn't the best sign. Unfortunately, those players did leave and we didn't have anybody to fill their spots. We just haven't seen the development of some of our highly recruited foreign players and I think a lot plays into that. I agree that the future does look bright with the incoming kids and ones we have committed. It seems to be a change in recruiting more local and American kids. I personally feel we went too heavy on foreign players.

On a side note, looks like we lost Jonathan Moore to OU as he has been hired on as an assistant coach in Norman.

On a side note, looks like we lost Jonathan Moore to OU as he has been hired on as an assistant coach in Norman.
WTF?
That is a huge loss as the guy developed a lot of the strength and performance programs recently utilized by the golf teams. An alum to boot. Money? Perception of better things to come down there vs. here?

I hope you are right, but not making the NCAA Championship for only the 2nd time in school history isn't the best sign. Unfortunately, those players did leave and we didn't have anybody to fill their spots. We just haven't seen the development of some of our highly recruited foreign players and I think a lot plays into that. I agree that the future does look bright with the incoming kids and ones we have committed. It seems to be a change in recruiting more local and American kids. I personally feel we went too heavy on foreign players.

No one is going to have guys to “fill the spot” when you have last minute departures because kids don’t want to wait to play anymore. NIL will keep programs from stock piling players on the bench in golf. Kids want to play. Tiger Christensen is a great recent example. Went to Arizona so he could play and did well.

Cowboy golf is struggling so far this season. The best finish this season is 3rd place and are currently ranked 33rd. We have finished in the top half in only 3 of 7 tournaments. A lot of young guys on the team that have some great potential and some good talent coming in, but it is tough to see them not be competitive. They are currently in 14th out of 15 teams at the Cabo Collegiate. Hope to see them turn it around soon.

Last edited:
Back