Conference Realignment - What's next?

The current state of college football is a shame. Rivalries lost. Tradition is over. And what puzzles me is how people simply cannot comprehend how it's all being destroyed. So-called "cord cutting" has destroyed college athletics, especially football. People want to blame ESPN for what's happening. People want to blame athletic directors and board of regents. But they're making choices to survive. And the unfortunate side effect is the utter destruction of college football.

The real reason? People watch streaming services, instead of cable and satellite. ESPN is nowhere near the cash cow it once was. ESPN is in such bad shape that Disney will sell to Apple. And when that happens, it's all over. It's sad. Truly is.

It was fun while it lasted. Sadly, it's ending just when it really started.

It won't. I will watch OSU and other schools in our conference. If I can't watch that, then my wife has plenty of other things for me to do. I already don't watch any B1G or SEC games.
I definitely think we will see over the next decade that the divide won't be what people thought it would be. We will also see people finally starting to admit the negative impact on top schools grouping so heavily together. I don't expect the Big 12 fully close the gap, but I expect them to significantly narrow it. Hopefully that sets the stage for a Power Conference merger. The sooner the better IMHO.

I don't think it works. The golden goose is being killed by the greed of the SEC and Big10.

IF fan bases are alienated, then viewership will go down. College fan bases are loyal and fans won't cross-over to another school when their team is relegated to a path that makes it impossible to play on the biggest stage.
This is the key point right here. I think with this latest round of realignment we have crossed over and will start seeing the negative impacts. Not just with PAC-4 schools. I can see ACC school fans starting to lose interest. I think to some extent the leaders in the PAC and B1G know this though. They don't want to kill the Golden Goose. Also, I think the Big 12 will be strong enough to prevent a lot of it. I foresee a very positive future for the Big 12. OSU just needs to get off their asses and become a power in this conference. I'm very worried we are falling back. This year will be big.

I definitely think we will see over the next decade that the divide won't be what people thought it would be. We will also see people finally starting to admit the negative impact on top schools grouping so heavily together. I don't expect the Big 12 fully close the gap, but I expect them to significantly narrow it. Hopefully that sets the stage for a Power Conference merger. The sooner the better IMHO.
Please don’t use the “s” word. I prefer “earlier”.
since you changed your username, here is a photo you can use as your avatar. You may have to resize it. It’s from one of my Alaska trips.
EBBECD7B-320F-4CE9-9A0A-AA36BEF49E4B.jpeg

The current state of college football is a shame. Rivalries lost. Tradition is over. And what puzzles me is how people simply cannot comprehend how it's all being destroyed. So-called "cord cutting" has destroyed college athletics, especially football. People want to blame ESPN for what's happening. People want to blame athletic directors and board of regents. But they're making choices to survive. And the unfortunate side effect is the utter destruction of college football.

The real reason? People watch streaming services, instead of cable and satellite. ESPN is nowhere near the cash cow it once was. ESPN is in such bad shape that Disney will sell to Apple. And when that happens, it's all over. It's sad. Truly is.

I am mixed on this. College football was great before TV took over. You could drive to almost every game in the Big 8 as a regional conference. TV came and brought more exposure and $ for facilities but ultimately is reforming athletics into something the fans don't want. I kind of think it might not be too bad if the P2 breaks away, takes their big money, and leaves the rest of us to something more traditional. It's a mess either way.

Does anyone have a subscription to be able to read this?

SIAP, from what I understand the B1G and SEC commissioners threatened the Big 12 (Yormark) to not interfere w/ the playoff negotiations or we will suffer the same fate as the Pac 12.

The utter arrogance...If they want to make college football into this VIP only club where only the blue bloods (plus vanderbilt and rutgers :rolleyes:) fine but you can count my college football watching days over. I'm not gonna watch some BS playoff w/ only B1G and SEC Schools.

It won't. I will watch OSU and other schools in our conference. If I can't watch that, then my wife has plenty of other things for me to do. I already don't watch any B1G or SEC games.
100% agree. My suspicion is the poster I was replying to is a closet s**ner being passive aggressive about how important he thinks his team is.

There also aren't "40 high value teams" that can realistically keep up. There are about 12 each year with a couple rotating in and out. A 12-15 super team conference won't be attractive to anyone outside of that league, rest of us can go back to playing college football.

SIAP, from what I understand the B1G and SEC commissioners threatened the Big 12 (Yormark) to not interfere w/ the playoff negotiations or we will suffer the same fate as the Pac 12.

The utter arrogance...If they want to make college football into this VIP only club where only the blue bloods (plus vanderbilt and rutgers :rolleyes:) fine but you can count my college football watching days over. I'm not gonna watch some BS playoff w/ only B1G and SEC Schools.
removepaywall.com

Read another article based on that one. Basically 12 team playoff model changing with the death of the PAC. Originally was 5 conference champ with highest ranked g 5 champ auto in. Now that's changed and somehow someway the Big 12 is opposed to being automatically included. Insiders pretty much all say it's a nonsense article.

I'd like to be in that ESPN bad shape of generating $3 billion in profit in just 6 months.

Read another article based on that one. Basically 12 team playoff model changing with the death of the PAC. Originally was 5 conference champ with highest ranked g 5 champ auto in. Now that's changed and somehow someway the Big 12 is opposed to being automatically included. Insiders pretty much all say it's a nonsense article.
Sec, big 10 and big 12 get 2 each. Next two highest rated champs and 4 at large. Everyone wins!

What happens when all the blue bloods join one or two conferences and they start losing? Conferences can take all these traditional powers but not all of them will have winning records.

Don't know what it is meeting is Aug 30.
August 30th is a meeting to make decisions on the the CFP format. Before the PAC collapsed it was going to be handling a lot of smaller items. Now it is going to be discussing more serious reworking. The biggest thing being automatic qualifiers. The expectation is they will likely just move from 6 to 5. However, revenue distributions are also thought to be up for rework.

One question is if the PAC gets rebuilt, will it still get the full distributions it was going to? That would add a lot more mouths to the split of the biggest chunk of playoff money.

Personally, I think even without the PAC there should be 6 automatic qualifiers is a perfect number for a 12 team FBS playoff. However, pretty much all of the remaining Power 4 would likely be in favor of reducing it to 5. The big thing that the Big 12 will need to fight for both now and with the new playoff for 2026 plus is maintaining and equal distribution of the money. The thought is the SEC and B1G may try to get more than the Big 12 and ACC get.

I really don't know if I could agree with you on the source of all of this. It isn't because people started watching streams. The cause of this is because the entire college landscape (except Notre Dame) is in the hands of two competing networks (ESPN and Fox). These two have each gone all in on one of the two major power player conferences. That means that each of them have undertaken the concept of owning or sharing which colleges. Example, ESPN wants OU and Texas to themselves and not to share with Fox. Fox countered by bringing USC and UCLA to the Big 10 and not to share with ESPN.

None of that has to do with streaming. Now if you want to blame streaming on limiting the money available for the PAC to get a decent TV deal, then I'm partially with you. But in the end, overall viewership of the SEC and Big 10 (which have both been hyped up by the ESPN talking heads for the last 15 years which has shaped opinion that good football is only played in those conferences) has caused them to be double the money of the Big 12 and triple the ACC. Now add in the close to limitless portal and NIL and the haves versus the have nots has never been greater and it will continue to get wider over the next 6-7 years unless things are put in place to get some level of control over the situation.

Last edited:
Back