CFP

In the AP era, they've also won six more football national championships than the remaining conferences and independents combined. They are the two best football conferences. If you just look at this century, the SEC is clearly the most dominant.
You've been corrupted by the narrative living in $ec country too long if you believe this. Starting next season they're the 2 best, sure, won't argue that as they've consolidated all the biggest teams. But any year prior to next season? The F they were the 2 best, the B1G in particular. Any given season they ended up just like every other conference with anywhere from 1-3 elite caliber teams, then roughly 1/3 to maybe half of all the remaining teams falling into one of 3 categories: solid to pretty good; mediocre at best; and garbage.

Alabama has been consistently dominant. OhSU has been as well. Please, for the love of God, stop the nonsense of letting those few schools' success overshadow the fact that the rest of the conference is populated by cannon fodder like Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, Vandy, Arky, South Carolina, etc... etc... etc...

By any way you want to look at the stats the SEC and Big10 have dominated college football throughout all eras of its history.

One can not like the facts all they want, but that doesn't change them.
You clearly don’t see what’s happening here.

Nobody’s arguing history.

We’re in an era now where the major media entities have directly aligned their bottom lines and their payouts to 2 conferences. As a product of this they’ve become cheerleaders for 2 conferences because they want to understandably drive viewership & their own bottom lines.

As a result of these mutually vested interests, they’ve found a way to tilt the actual competitive playing field even further to the advantage of their partners-and that’s exactly what they are.

The only people that think this is good are people that are fans of two conferences, that’s it, and that’s because it gives even the mediocre members of said conferences a financial advantage over programs that have consistently outperformed them. And there’s plenty of mediocrity in both conferences.

You can waste your breath elsewhere with the Aw shucks the SEC & B1G have always been better routine. There’s a reason the SEC & B1G have bought out the Big 12’s biggest brands, genius.

Lastly, the hubris & arrogance of both conferences to even float the idea of an automatic bye couldn’t be a better illustration of your ridiculous point of view. ‘ We’re better, because of our history, trust us, but we want to build in just a few more advantages.’

Before you even start a weak reply, the NFL agreed with me on this 30 years ago because they understood the health of their sport depended on actual true competition. Not giving Dallas or NY advantages because they have the most fans.

You clearly don’t see what’s happening here.

Nobody’s arguing history.

We’re in an era now where the major media entities have directly aligned their bottom lines and their payouts to 2 conferences. As a product of this they’ve become cheerleaders for 2 conferences because they want to understandably drive viewership & their own bottom lines.

As a result of these mutually vested interests, they’ve found a way to tilt the actual competitive playing field even further to the advantage of their partners-and that’s exactly what they are.

The only people that think this is good are people that are fans of two conferences, that’s it, and that’s because it gives even the mediocre members of said conferences a financial advantage over programs that have consistently outperformed them. And there’s plenty of mediocrity in both conferences.

You can waste your breath elsewhere with the Aw shucks the SEC & B1G have always been better routine. There’s a reason the SEC & B1G have bought out the Big 12’s biggest brands, genius.

Lastly, the hubris & arrogance of both conferences to even float the idea of an automatic bye couldn’t be a better illustration of your ridiculous point of view. ‘ We’re better, because of our history, trust us, but we want to build in just a few more advantages.’

Before you even start a weak reply, the NFL agreed with me on this 30 years ago because they understood the health of their sport depended on actual true competition. Not giving Dallas or NY advantages because they have the most fans.

I see what’s happening. I just don’t see the conspiracy that is being asserted.

If I were in the business of sports media content, I would want the content that draws the most eyes. That’s the SEC and the BIG 10.

It’s business.

If I were in the business of sports media content, I would want the content that draws the most eyes. That’s the SEC and the BIG 10.

It’s business.
In that case they should not get any more byes than anyone else. Make them play the games. After all, that's what draws the most eyes.

Last edited:

It’s business.
Good god. Nobody’s talking about any conspiracy, they’re talking about what’s happening right in front of our eyes. It’s in the open-what are you even talking about?

Business? Did you even read what you replied to? Because I clearly said it’s a business, with the media partners tilting the playing field to their partners. If you can’t see that as a problem outside of two conferences you’re just an SEC schill.

By your logic (air quotes) giving them a bye makes sense, I mean after all they are the biggest brands right?

Up-thread, the assertion was made that ESPN pushed the myth that the SEC was dominant.

CBS has been the bell cow for the SEC for decades, not ESPN. CBS got the first pick of SEC games each week. It won’t be until next season than ESPN becomes the primary broadcast partner for the SEC.

Look at the populations of each state, especially prior to the recent expansions. There are simply more eyes watching TVs in the SEC and BiG states than in the geographic areas of the other conferences.

Metro-Atlanta alone has more people than many Big-12 states.

I don’t like what’s happening, but I certainly understand it from a business sense. In fact, I won’t be surprised to see a future jettisoning of non-performers by the power conferences to quit having to give them payouts.

Up-thread, the assertion was made that ESPN pushed the myth that the SEC was dominant.

CBS has been the bell cow for the SEC for decades, not ESPN. CBS got the first pick of SEC games each week. It won’t be until next season than ESPN becomes the primary broadcast partner for the SEC.

Look at the populations of each state, especially prior to the recent expansions. There are simply more eyes watching TVs in the SEC and BiG states than in the geographic areas of the other conferences.

Metro-Atlanta alone has more people than many Big-12 states.

I don’t like what’s happening, but I certainly understand it from a business sense. In fact, I won’t be surprised to see a future jettisoning of non-performers by the power conferences to quit having to give them payouts.
Without bringing politics in here, that is why the Founding Fathers made provisions for there to be a Senate and a House of Representatives, so everyone could be represented.

When the real water carriers want the lion share it's going to suck for the teams outside the top 20 in viewership

Nielson ratings 2023
  1. Alabama 7.12 (SEC)
  2. Ohio State 6.05 (Big Ten)
  3. Colorado 6.00 (Pac-12)
  4. Georgia 5.90 (SEC)
  5. Michigan 5.61 (Big Ten)
  6. Tennessee 4.57 (SEC)
  7. Oregon 4.43 (Pac-12)
  8. Texas 4.26 (Big 12)
  9. Florida State 4.16 (ACC)
  10. Notre Dame 4.15 (Independent)
  11. Washington 4.14 (Pac-12)
  12. LSU 3.79 (SEC)
  13. USC 3.77 (Pac-12)
  14. Penn State 3.66 (Big Ten)
  15. Auburn 3.55 (SEC)
  16. Missouri 3.25 (SEC)
  17. Florida 3.17 (SEC)
  18. Ole Miss 2.93 (SEC)
  19. Clemson 2.90 (ACC)
  20. Texas A&M 2.74 (SEC)
  21. Iowa 2.68 (Big Ten)
  22. Miami 2.65 (ACC)
  23. Duke 2.639 (ACC)
  24. Nebraska 2.637 (Big Ten)
  25. Utah 2.616 (Pac-12)
  26. Oklahoma 2.6153 (Big 12)
  27. Navy 2.6152 (AAC)
  28. Oregon State 2.44 (Pac-12)
  29. Louisville 2.37 (ACC)
  30. Washington State 2.15 (Pac-12)
  31. Kentucky 2.07 (SEC)
  32. Mississippi State 2.01 (SEC)
Viewership by conference is a large factor in what the value of the overall deal is with espn or fox or whoever. And the sec and big 10 have the most viewers, which is a primary reason why they have the most lucrative deals.

I am not sure I follow your point here. They split their revenues evenly among all their programs. Vanderbilt gets the same percentage that georgia gets when sec distributes their payouts.

You sound like JerryJones in the early 90’s.

Thankfully the NFL was smart.
I sound like the sec and big 10 have been dominating teh sport for the last two decades and nothing is changing that. In fact all these changes occurring now will serve to further separate those programs from the rest.

Big 12 distributions are nice, looking to be around 380 million per year among their 12 teams with the new deal. $31.6 mil avg
Big 10 media deal is 8 billion over 7 years. That means over 1 billion per year in media $ to be distrubuted to their 18 teams. $63 mil avg
SEC has 2 media deals running concurrently. They averaged $52 million per team last year and that number is expected to be $60-70 going forward.

This is all before the new playoff distribution of $21 million compared to acc with 13 million and big 12 12 million.

This is all to illustrate the greater point that not only has the big 10 and sec been running CFB on the field, but they are also going to be dwarfing everyone else financialy, which will necessarily further separate them from the rest of CFB. We all know that teams who media deals make $60+ million every year enjoys a major advantage over teams who make $31 million.

You look at it from a different perspective than most of us. This all started when ESPN pushed the narrative forever that the SEC was the best conference. They were on tv more so they got the most money. Greed and corruption went unpunished. Fox countered by doing the something similar with the Big 10. Because networks pushed those two conferences, they got more money and corruption was largely ignored. The rich got rich and the hell with everyone else. Then what used to be corruption became allowed. That is what brought us to where we are today. Now with the playoff expanding and talk of finally including almost every team in one way or another, those two conferences want an easier path to the title. Why should they get that? Let them earn it on the field. Equal rules for everyone.
I feel like I look at it from the appropriate perspective. They dominate in recruiting, they dominate in national championships/playoffs, they dominate in the NFL draft, tv ratings, media deals and revenue.

What espn says is irrelevant, they can push whatever they want and say whatever they want. the points i make above stand. the nfl doesnt draft sec and big 10 players at such a prolific rate because espn pimps them out. It's because they have better players.

yes they were on tv more, because there was more people wanting to watch them. these media companies only care about their bottom line, making money. and they make more money showing the games people want to see. sorry but baylor vs iowa state isnt moving the needle for anyone.

They arent getting an easier path to the title, they are getting more of the revenues. And they do settle it all on the field. how else do you explain why the sec and big 10 have won 20 of the last 24 national titles? this isnt just magically start one day because of espn.

even when the big 12 was the best overall conference top to bottom from 2000-2009, the sec had auburn, lsu, alabama, florida all winning national championships. this was before alabama's dynasty.

Without bringing politics in here, that is why the Founding Fathers made provisions for there to be a Senate and a House of Representatives, so everyone could be represented.
college football isnt like the united states. Not everyone is equal and they can not be treated equally.

We both know that it's asinine that boise state and georgia play for the same championship. The mid majors need to have their own playoffs.

And really it seems like acc/big 12 should be in that same boat. It's really unfair for programs in sec/big 10 having such significant financial advantages over everyone else which necessarily puts them on an uneven playing field from recruiting, to maintaining the program, to how much they can spend on NIL, coaches, and facilities. I would love to see a playoffs for the mid majors to compete in. give them a chance to win something.

Viewership by conference is a large factor in what the value of the overall deal is with espn or fox or whoever. And the sec and big 10 have the most viewers, which is a primary reason why they have the most lucrative deals.

I am not sure I follow your point here. They split their revenues evenly among all their programs. Vanderbilt gets the same percentage that georgia gets when sec distributes their payouts.
For now. But in this environment of who brings what to the table, I expect the even split to fade away.

For now. But in this environment of who brings what to the table, I expect the even split to fade away.
When? these contracts are in place into 2030 and beyond.

If anything changes, it'll more likely be that the whole sport is affected, beyond the conference level. I.e. something that favors the programs in two major conferences & leaving everyone else out.

After the recent realignment, the 2nd domino to fall was the vast gulf between the revenues generated by sec/big 10 vs acc and big 12. Which is a whole other ball of yarn than what the mid major's are working with. Wont be long before private interests get involved, imagine if apple wanted to sponsor usc by basically buying their program and putting tons of money into them. or nike with oregon. I can also foresee a scenario in which players are paid as employees in a revenue sharing model ,and this would not fly if the splits among conference members is uneven.

I think at some point there will be a split at the highest level where we see something the P4 spart from the mid majors. or even more conference realignment favoring big 10 and sec thusly widening the already huge gulf between them and the acc/big 12 conferences financially and competitively. (I'm thinking something along the lines of clemson and fsu will be wanting out of the acc and they wont be looking at the big 12). Which would force even more movement as all the media deal money is laid out

When? these contracts are in place into 2030 and beyond.

If anything changes, it'll more likely be that the whole sport is affected, beyond the conference level. I.e. something that favors the programs in two major conferences & leaving everyone else out.

After the recent realignment, the 2nd domino to fall was the vast gulf between the revenues generated by sec/big 10 vs acc and big 12. Which is a whole other ball of yarn than what the mid major's are working with. Wont be long before private interests get involved, imagine if apple wanted to sponsor usc by basically buying their program and putting tons of money into them. or nike with oregon. I can also foresee a scenario in which players are paid as employees in a revenue sharing model ,and this would not fly if the splits among conference members is uneven.

I think at some point there will be a split at the highest level where we see something the P4 spart from the mid majors. or even more conference realignment favoring big 10 and sec thusly widening the already huge gulf between them and the acc/big 12 conferences financially and competitively. (I'm thinking something along the lines of clemson and fsu will be wanting out of the acc and they wont be looking at the big 12). Which would force even more movement as all the media deal money is laid out
ou and texas left early. Contracts mean nothing anymore. We are already hearing rumblings about the top tier schools in conference wanting a larger portion of revenue. It is coming and will probably be counter productive until it gets figured out.

ou and texas left early. Contracts mean nothing anymore. We are already hearing rumblings about the top tier schools in conference wanting a larger portion of revenue. It is coming and will probably be counter productive until it gets figured out.

OU and Texas didn't just leave. That was negotiated.

Back