CFP

In the AP era, they've also won six more football national championships than the remaining conferences and independents combined. They are the two best football conferences. If you just look at this century, the SEC is clearly the most dominant.
You've been corrupted by the narrative living in $ec country too long if you believe this. Starting next season they're the 2 best, sure, won't argue that as they've consolidated all the biggest teams. But any year prior to next season? The F they were the 2 best, the B1G in particular. Any given season they ended up just like every other conference with anywhere from 1-3 elite caliber teams, then roughly 1/3 to maybe half of all the remaining teams falling into one of 3 categories: solid to pretty good; mediocre at best; and garbage.

Alabama has been consistently dominant. OhSU has been as well. Please, for the love of God, stop the nonsense of letting those few schools' success overshadow the fact that the rest of the conference is populated by cannon fodder like Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, Vandy, Arky, South Carolina, etc... etc... etc...

By any way you want to look at the stats the SEC and Big10 have dominated college football throughout all eras of its history.

One can not like the facts all they want, but that doesn't change them.
You clearly don’t see what’s happening here.

Nobody’s arguing history.

We’re in an era now where the major media entities have directly aligned their bottom lines and their payouts to 2 conferences. As a product of this they’ve become cheerleaders for 2 conferences because they want to understandably drive viewership & their own bottom lines.

As a result of these mutually vested interests, they’ve found a way to tilt the actual competitive playing field even further to the advantage of their partners-and that’s exactly what they are.

The only people that think this is good are people that are fans of two conferences, that’s it, and that’s because it gives even the mediocre members of said conferences a financial advantage over programs that have consistently outperformed them. And there’s plenty of mediocrity in both conferences.

You can waste your breath elsewhere with the Aw shucks the SEC & B1G have always been better routine. There’s a reason the SEC & B1G have bought out the Big 12’s biggest brands, genius.

Lastly, the hubris & arrogance of both conferences to even float the idea of an automatic bye couldn’t be a better illustration of your ridiculous point of view. ‘ We’re better, because of our history, trust us, but we want to build in just a few more advantages.’

Before you even start a weak reply, the NFL agreed with me on this 30 years ago because they understood the health of their sport depended on actual true competition. Not giving Dallas or NY advantages because they have the most fans.

You clearly don’t see what’s happening here.

Nobody’s arguing history.

We’re in an era now where the major media entities have directly aligned their bottom lines and their payouts to 2 conferences. As a product of this they’ve become cheerleaders for 2 conferences because they want to understandably drive viewership & their own bottom lines.

As a result of these mutually vested interests, they’ve found a way to tilt the actual competitive playing field even further to the advantage of their partners-and that’s exactly what they are.

The only people that think this is good are people that are fans of two conferences, that’s it, and that’s because it gives even the mediocre members of said conferences a financial advantage over programs that have consistently outperformed them. And there’s plenty of mediocrity in both conferences.

You can waste your breath elsewhere with the Aw shucks the SEC & B1G have always been better routine. There’s a reason the SEC & B1G have bought out the Big 12’s biggest brands, genius.

Lastly, the hubris & arrogance of both conferences to even float the idea of an automatic bye couldn’t be a better illustration of your ridiculous point of view. ‘ We’re better, because of our history, trust us, but we want to build in just a few more advantages.’

Before you even start a weak reply, the NFL agreed with me on this 30 years ago because they understood the health of their sport depended on actual true competition. Not giving Dallas or NY advantages because they have the most fans.

I see what’s happening. I just don’t see the conspiracy that is being asserted.

If I were in the business of sports media content, I would want the content that draws the most eyes. That’s the SEC and the BIG 10.

It’s business.

If I were in the business of sports media content, I would want the content that draws the most eyes. That’s the SEC and the BIG 10.

It’s business.
In that case they should not get any more byes than anyone else. Make them play the games. After all, that's what draws the most eyes.

Last edited:

It’s business.
Good god. Nobody’s talking about any conspiracy, they’re talking about what’s happening right in front of our eyes. It’s in the open-what are you even talking about?

Business? Did you even read what you replied to? Because I clearly said it’s a business, with the media partners tilting the playing field to their partners. If you can’t see that as a problem outside of two conferences you’re just an SEC schill.

By your logic (air quotes) giving them a bye makes sense, I mean after all they are the biggest brands right?

Up-thread, the assertion was made that ESPN pushed the myth that the SEC was dominant.

CBS has been the bell cow for the SEC for decades, not ESPN. CBS got the first pick of SEC games each week. It won’t be until next season than ESPN becomes the primary broadcast partner for the SEC.

Look at the populations of each state, especially prior to the recent expansions. There are simply more eyes watching TVs in the SEC and BiG states than in the geographic areas of the other conferences.

Metro-Atlanta alone has more people than many Big-12 states.

I don’t like what’s happening, but I certainly understand it from a business sense. In fact, I won’t be surprised to see a future jettisoning of non-performers by the power conferences to quit having to give them payouts.

Up-thread, the assertion was made that ESPN pushed the myth that the SEC was dominant.

CBS has been the bell cow for the SEC for decades, not ESPN. CBS got the first pick of SEC games each week. It won’t be until next season than ESPN becomes the primary broadcast partner for the SEC.

Look at the populations of each state, especially prior to the recent expansions. There are simply more eyes watching TVs in the SEC and BiG states than in the geographic areas of the other conferences.

Metro-Atlanta alone has more people than many Big-12 states.

I don’t like what’s happening, but I certainly understand it from a business sense. In fact, I won’t be surprised to see a future jettisoning of non-performers by the power conferences to quit having to give them payouts.
Without bringing politics in here, that is why the Founding Fathers made provisions for there to be a Senate and a House of Representatives, so everyone could be represented.

Back