Bud Light Controversy Spreads to Target, Sending the Stock Lower

PF5

Deputy
I guess I just don't get it...someone help me understand why people are so upset with a beer company because they sent a few beers to a transgender...I don't understand why people are so upset with a store for selling a few items that offend you...I don't even drink bud light (except at sporting events or parties where options are limited) but am thinking of becoming a loyal Bud Man, simply to drink in front of 'offended' people (ha)...I will still shop at Target, cuz it's cheap and clean and good selections. If I come across items that I don't like or 'offend' me, guess what?, I just walk on...

Target TGT –2.76% stock was falling Wednesday after the retailer said it was removing certain products and making other changes to its LGBTQ merchandise after facing pushback from customers.

“Since introducing this year’s collection, we’ve experienced threats impacting our team members’ sense of safety and well-being while at work,” Target said in a statement on Wednesday. “Given these volatile circumstances, we are making adjustments to our plans, including removing items that have been at the center of the most significant confrontational behavior.”

The company didn’t disclose the items it was removing, the Associated Press reported, but “tuck friendly” women’s swimsuits and products from Abprallen, which sells satanic-themed LGBTQ+ products, have sparked controversy.

This is the last thing Target (ticker: TGT) needs right now, as question marks continue to hover around consumer discretionary spending. Shares are currently down for five days in a row, according to Dow Jones Market Data. Earlier this month, the retailer delivered an earnings beat for its first quarter, but warned of a sales slowdown ahead.

Target has sold products for Pride Month—which takes place in June—for years. This year, however, reactions seem heightened as other companies, Anheuser-Busch InBev BUD –1.94% (BUD) being the most prominent, struggle with a similar backlash.

Over the past several weeks, Bud Light has seen sales volumes fall, illustrating lingering pain points from a controversial social media promotion that featured Dylan Mulvaney, a transgender influencer.

Bud Light sales volumes slid 28.4% in the week ended May 13, a sharper decline than the 27.7% drop recorded the week prior, according to Beer Business Daily, Barron’s reported.

Shares of Anheuser-Busch InBev fell 1.6% to $57.80 in Wednesday trading. So far this month, the stock has shed more than 11%, putting in on pace for its worst month since July 2021, when it dropped 12.5%, Barron’s reported.

Target stock fell 2.6% on Wednesday to $143.29.

People are upset because they are tired of being force fed this absurd lie that men can be women. In the case of Bud Light their product is to closely similar to their competitors. Most of their customers can simply buy a Miller or Coors and then not have to worry what their friends think about their sexuality. I don't think the Target issue will have the legs that the Bud Light issue has.

I guess I just don't get it...someone help me understand why people are so upset with a beer company because they sent a few beers to a transgender...I don't understand why people are so upset with a store for selling a few items that offend you...I don't even drink bud light (except at sporting events or parties where options are limited) but am thinking of becoming a loyal Bud Man, simply to drink in front of 'offended' people (ha)...I will still shop at Target, cuz it's cheap and clean and good selections. If I come across items that I don't like or 'offend' me, guess what?, I just walk on...

Target TGT –2.76% stock was falling Wednesday after the retailer said it was removing certain products and making other changes to its LGBTQ merchandise after facing pushback from customers.

“Since introducing this year’s collection, we’ve experienced threats impacting our team members’ sense of safety and well-being while at work,” Target said in a statement on Wednesday. “Given these volatile circumstances, we are making adjustments to our plans, including removing items that have been at the center of the most significant confrontational behavior.”

The company didn’t disclose the items it was removing, the Associated Press reported, but “tuck friendly” women’s swimsuits and products from Abprallen, which sells satanic-themed LGBTQ+ products, have sparked controversy.

This is the last thing Target (ticker: TGT) needs right now, as question marks continue to hover around consumer discretionary spending. Shares are currently down for five days in a row, according to Dow Jones Market Data. Earlier this month, the retailer delivered an earnings beat for its first quarter, but warned of a sales slowdown ahead.

Target has sold products for Pride Month—which takes place in June—for years. This year, however, reactions seem heightened as other companies, Anheuser-Busch InBev BUD –1.94% (BUD) being the most prominent, struggle with a similar backlash.

Over the past several weeks, Bud Light has seen sales volumes fall, illustrating lingering pain points from a controversial social media promotion that featured Dylan Mulvaney, a transgender influencer.

Bud Light sales volumes slid 28.4% in the week ended May 13, a sharper decline than the 27.7% drop recorded the week prior, according to Beer Business Daily, Barron’s reported.

Shares of Anheuser-Busch InBev fell 1.6% to $57.80 in Wednesday trading. So far this month, the stock has shed more than 11%, putting in on pace for its worst month since July 2021, when it dropped 12.5%, Barron’s reported.

The Party of Individual and Personal Freedoms!! and Small Government!!!

Yes the freedom to spend your money where you choose. It's GenZ that decided that every single corporate entity needed to have a political opinion on nearly every issue. I think that's a terrible marketing strategy, but here we are.
You mean that pissing off at least half of your customer base to cow tow to around 1% of the population doesn't sound like a great business plan? I actually thought the Bud Light deal would blow over like it always seems to but things aren't going too well for them. Now we have Northface and Target https://news.yahoo.com/target-says-axing-pride-month-042504584.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall jumping into the fray.

Fw1JR4gXwBQ0LYj

and now Southwest Airlines. They are getting absolutely dragged. The billboards are entertaining.

original_either_way_we_will_drag_you_on_board.PNG

Yes the freedom to spend your money where you choose. It's GenZ that decided that every single corporate entity needed to have a political opinion on nearly every issue. I think that's a terrible marketing strategy, but here we are.
when did the GOP take over control of cancel culture? Didn't they use to blame the Dems for that ? Did they have a whole theoretical war against PC. Culture and being Woke?

and Gen Z decided that corporations can have a political opinion ?? LOL

The first SCOTUS case which established that corporations are indeed covered under the same Freedoms as individuals occurred in 1936. The first ever State Law struck down because it was in violations of a corporations Free Speech occurred in 1894

Reactions: PF5
You mean that pissing off at least half of your customer base to cow tow to around 1% of the population doesn't sound like a great business plan?
I will say that going after a 1% market share for Trans people doesn't make much since....but I think it is a long term strategy at the start of this rise of Gen Z that companies will use as a springboard to show "how long they have been woke" for future market share drivers

However, I'm 100% confident you will see larger marketing campaigns, tv shows, news etc dedicated to LGTBQ+ as the largest segment of the population in the US right now (Gen Z) has a ratio of 1 in 5 (20%) that identify as Gay.

The largest population group in America, soon to be the most powerful politically, and not to long they will be the most powerful Financially...and 20% are gay....yeah Marketing companies are going to be going after their $$

I don't drink Budweiser products....because it's bad beer with no flavor and little alcohol.

I just can't fathom boycotting a beer that I actually liked because they chose to market it to people I don't like or care for or agree with in order to increase their market share.

That makes no sense to me.

Of course, I also can't fathom worrying what my friends (or anyone, frankly) think about my sexuality based upon what beer I drink....or based upon anything else. In fact, I can't fathom worrying about what anyone thinks about my sexuality. Period. Full stop. @PokitN

I don't drink Budweiser products....because it's bad beer with no flavor and little alcohol.

I just can't fathom boycotting a beer that I actually liked because they chose to market it to people I don't like or care for or agree with in order to increase their market share.

Of course, I also can't fathom worrying what my friends (or anyone, frankly) think about my sexuality based upon what beer I drink....or based upon anything else. In fact, I can't fathom worrying about what anyone thinks about my sexuality. Period. Full stop. @PokitN
Pick your favorite oklahoma brewery. Now imagine Trump bought it and put his face on every can. Also you cannot buy a keg or fill a growler.
(no cheating) Continue drinking? Yes? No? :oops:

cm punk wwe GIF

So that I may understand... You plan to start drinking a beer that you don't like for the sole purpose of attempting to offend other people? If so, that's dumb.

So that I may understand... You plan to start drinking a beer that you don't like for the sole purpose of attempting to offend other people? If so, that's dumb.
it was a joke...I understand it's hard to read/interpret tone in a typed message, nor do you know my sarcastic nature...it was more a smh moment at people refusing to drink it now and I mentioned 'Bud Man' cuz he was a cool 'super hero' in 70's
61xV2OArBrL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Pick your favorite oklahoma brewery. Now imagine Trump bought it and put his face on every can. Also you cannot buy a keg or fill a growler.
(no cheating) Continue drinking? Yes? No? :oops:

cm punk wwe GIF
That isn't close to what happened with Bud Light.

I'm glad we live in a country where...
1. a person can choose how they want to live
2. a company can create and promote products however they want
3. consumers are free to spend their money how they choose
4. people can criticize others for all of the choices above

The results are simply liberty in action, and its great to see everyone receiving the fruits of their labor in this case.

Back