What is considered "Targeting"

Oklapokes

After Saturday's game and the helmet to helmet hit that Pressley took from the Utah player that was not deemed targeting, I'm having a hard time understanding what is the rule now for targeting in college football. The explanation the referee gave after the review was that Pressley was not a defenseless player. Never heard of that before. I thought helmet to helmet was always targeting no matter where.

I know we've seen similar hits result in ejections in the past. The only thing I can figure is that they've adjusted the rules this year.

Usually deemed a step or two for a catch and to be considered able to defend yourself. It’s so subjective it’s is near impossible in live time. Most “targeting” calls are when either a replay is shown in the stadium and it gets blown dead or if a players head snaps back and the perception is that it is targeting. It’s a game of milliseconds and lots of powerful collisions. Needs to go away and be deemed unnecessary roughness. If it’s blatantly dangerous then eject them. It’s currently going off how the defender reacts to the hit

According to our esteemed Play by Play announcer and a very knowledgeable person when it comes to this, Dave Hunziker, that should have been called targeting on Saturday! He has attended the Big XII football officials conferences for something like seven or eight years in a row so he seems pretty well versed!!!

According to our esteemed Play by Play announcer and a very knowledgeable person when it comes to this, Dave Hunziker, that should have been called targeting on Saturday! He has attended the Big XII football officials conferences for something like seven or eight years in a row so he seems pretty well versed!!!
every year

I've come to the conclusion that targeting is a judgement call just like holding or pass interference. You never really know what the ruling is going to be because the refs all seem to see things differently at times.

I guess they deemed that he didn't hit him with the crown of the helmet. The part that I am confused about is that the tackle was made by the helmet-to-helmet contact. It was literally the only part of the defenders body that made forcible contact with Presley. How is tackling someone with your helmet not a penalty?

I've come to the conclusion that targeting is a judgement call just like holding or pass interference. You never really know what the ruling is going to be because the refs all seem to see things differently at times.
Exactly. It’s such a subjective call that I don’t think you’ll ever see any real consistency with it.

Not targeting, but roughing the passer is the same way. Forget what NFL game I was watching last week, but the defender wraps up the QB around the waist AS he’s throwing and gets called for roughing. I mean he doesn’t go for the head/neck area, doesn’t go low knees/ankles. What is he supposed to do???

I've seen WAY less called targeting with ejections, etc... I have no clue how it wasn't considered targeting. He led with helmet and gave forcible contact to head/neck area on a defenseless receiver. I'm not sure how it could have been more clearly targeting.

I've seen WAY less called targeting with ejections, etc... I have no clue how it wasn't considered targeting. He led with helmet and gave forcible contact to head/neck area on a defenseless receiver. I'm not sure how it could have been more clearly targeting.
They called him not defenseless because he'd tucked the ball, turned and took a couple steps. Either way helmet to helmet should always be a 15 yarder.

Back