Twisters

PickleRick

Patreon Supporter
Just saw a trailer for the new Twisters movie and it looks like there’s at least a portion of it taking place in Stillwater. Will be interesting to see if the campus is featured at all.

But it brings up a question - I lived in Stillwater for 8 years and never had a tornado scare. Anyone ever encounter one in Stillwater?

I grew up in Stillwater and there were two that hit town while I lived there. One hit campus and did damage to several buildings. The roof of the campus fire station was blown off. This was probably in the 70's. I believe it was the late 80's or early 90's I watch a tornado from the airport that took out some apartments on Perkins road.

I lived in Stillwater for four years and never had a scare, then the day after I left in 1990 that one went through town.

The Stillwater part was a rodeo, didn't really mention Stillwater but there were signs in the background.

The movie was fun, but those of us who live here will notice a lot of problems with the responses to tornadoes, etc.

Last edited:
The Stillwater part was a rodeo, didn't really mention Stillwater but there were signs in the background.

The movie was fun, but those of us who liver here will notice a lot of problems with the responses to tornadoes, etc.

Yeah. I joked with a friend about how it wasn't realistic because you didn't see anyone outside watching stuff roll in but the way most of the extras in the movie responded to the tornadoes was one of my biggest gripes. That and where some of the chasers were from-that really grinded my gears.

It was a movie. Not a documentary. I enjoyed it. It's definitely a great theater movie, if you have an AMC Prime theater the rumble seats are a nice touch.

It's silly, it's Hollywood. It's cute, I do recall the kind of buzz you get as a young dude going through a tornado and the thrill after surviving it. Obviously there's going to be a hyperbole.

I don't think they portrayed Oklahomans in any negative way. The only part I thought was crap was when Kate sneaks into her mother's house because she knows where the hidden key is after not seeing her five years and doesn't get shot was a stretch.

Yeah. I joked with a friend about how it wasn't realistic because you didn't see anyone outside watching stuff roll in but the way most of the extras in the movie responded to the tornadoes was one of my biggest gripes. That and where some of the chasers were from-that really grinded my gears.
There are a ton of out of state YouTubers chasing storms. It is very annoying and starting to be a public safety issue.

I'm with OrangeFan69 on this one - it's a movie, not a documentary! I enjoyed the thrill and excitement of the Twisters movie, even if it wasn't entirely realistic. And I have to agree, the part where Kate sneaks into her mother's house without getting shot was a bit of a stretch. But overall, I thought it was a fun ride. And yeah, those storm chasers can be a real nuisance, whether they're from in-state or out-of-state.

I grew up in Stillwater and there were two that hit town while I lived there. One hit campus and did damage to several buildings. The roof of the campus fire station was blown off. This was probably in the 70's. I believe it was the late 80's or early 90's I watch a tornado from the airport that took out some apartments on Perkins road.
No, the roof wasn't blown off the fire station. Instead, what happened was that at least a large part the cupola got blown off and crashed through the roof as pictured. Probably the main roof got damaged.

tornado21975.jpg

The movie was fun, but those of us who live here will notice a lot of problems with the responses to tornadoes, etc.
I was surprised the tornado chasers would be at a rodeo when they surely knew conditions were ripe for another tornado. Nice how for drama they made the tornadoes last for at least 10 minutes. They're usually over with within 30 seconds, but a very long and agonizing 30 seconds or less.

Last edited:
I was just in a tornado today. Most of the storm chasers no idea how fast things go south. We had 106 degrees today, a cloud that was seven miles wide and then boom there it was.

Back