Thunder to ask OKC residents to fund ~$730 million toward new stadium

You can fix a lot of what you said for 50 million. The city already got the bump they are going to get from the Thunder in the downtown area. Making things nicer for media and players isn't a tax payer concern.
If you think of only the English Speaking market...you are forgetting the rest of the world.

The NBA is a global sport that is broadcast live in 214 countries and territories and done in 60 different languages.

When the Thunder hosted Playoffs and Finals back in the day they were turning away the foreign press because they had no room for them and didn't realize they would need room for them. The NBA won't allow you to reject the Global Brand like that and if upgrades aren't done for the Media then the NBA will be forced to relocate the team at some point later to protect the Global Brand they have invested $$Billions into

The NBA finals s and playoffs since 2013 have had at least 50 press broadcast teams from multiple nations cover and calling the game live for their viewers.

If you think of only the English Speaking market...you are forgetting the rest of the world.

The NBA is a global sport that is broadcast live in 214 countries and territories and done in 60 different languages.

When the Thunder hosted Playoffs and Finals back in the day they were turning away the foreign press because they had no room for them and didn't realize they would need room for them. The NBA won't allow you to reject the Global Brand like that and if upgrades aren't done for the Media then the NBA will be forced to relocate the team at some point later to protect the Global Brand they have invested $$Billions into

The NBA finals s and playoffs since 2013 have had at least 50 press broadcast teams from multiple nations cover and calling the game live for their viewers.
So spend your money from your league on upgrades for media. They don't need a new stadium. A private organization worth 3 billion can afford upgrades. Foreign media doesn't help the tax payer of OKC it helps the league and the team. The addition of the Thunder and the revitalization of downtown has been good for OKC no doubt....whether it has monied out I don't have the figures...but downtown is certainly a better place and all appears to be a success. The value of that however has already been realized in large part. Fan attendance isn't going to triple if 30 more media teams show up.....hotel taxes, meals/drinks bought etc isn't going to go up 680 million with a new stadium. The Thunder are doing well......they don't need help. All the issues listed could be fixed in the current building with private funds.

Fix the docks....give up some seats if the media exposure monies out for your team. Don't ask for 680M in taxes to make your 3B team a 3.4B.

Last edited:
Here is a list of new NBA arenas opened since 2010. (from a KOCO story)

• The Golden State Warriors in San Francisco chose to pay 100% of the construction costs
  • Orlando's owners paid around 10% of the total price
  • In Brooklyn, private money paid about half
  • Sacramento's owners contributed around 41%
  • In Detroit, 62% was paid for with private money
  • Private money paid for about 52% of Milwaukee's new arena, which OKC city leaders toured last year
The offer from Thunder ownership comes out to just 5.5%. KOCO 5 said some people said they're taking advantage of the fear that OKC residents might have of losing the team in their level of investment.

It kind of is being forced on them, though. People with a lot of money are telling people with not a lot of money "you better give us more money or we'll take this away from you.". Sure, it's a choice, but not a great one.

Owners could not care less about where the team resides, because they get richer either way.
We built Paycom before even having a team. This also doesn’t raise taxes just extends the current rate. And to everyone saying these billionaires can build thier own stuff then they would get all the money from tours and events. All of that now goes to OKC I believe. So we will get some of it back.

We built Paycom before even having a team. This also doesn’t raise taxes just extends the current rate. And to everyone saying these billionaires can build thier own stuff then they would get all the money from tours and events. All of that now goes to OKC I believe. So we will get some of it back.

Yep. It’s the city’s arena. There’s people out there voting yes so OKC can host a shit ton of other things that the Paycom can’t right now.

The new Thunder arena will, if a majority of those voting on December 12 agree, raise taxes after the MAPs 4 levy expires in 2028.

Who will really pay for a new arena? This proposal breaks traditions established by the first four MAPs programs, in that it primarily benefits the Thunder owners and not the citizens-at-large.

The “Vote Yes” publicity surrounding how the new arena will be funded – the assertion it “does not require a tax increase” -- is inaccurate.

If citizens approve the proposal, it will raise the sales tax by 1 cent over the lower rate the MAPs 4 levy’s end is set to bring.

But the language being used in promotion indicates it will not raise sales taxes because we are just going to continue the old rate.

I don't have much concern about the 1 cent tax, I'm Really concerned that owners are putting up $50 mil for a $900++ mil arena...I would love to pay $13,750 for a $250,000 home...(I think my math is right)...

I don't have much concern about the 1 cent tax, I'm Really concerned that owners are putting up $50 mil for a $900++ mil arena...I would love to pay $13,750 for a $250,000 home...(I think my math is right)...
If you rent a house do you help pay for the construction of the house?

The new Thunder arena will, if a majority of those voting on December 12 agree, raise taxes after the MAPs 4 levy expires in 2028.

Who will really pay for a new arena? This proposal breaks traditions established by the first four MAPs programs, in that it primarily benefits the Thunder owners and not the citizens-at-large.

The “Vote Yes” publicity surrounding how the new arena will be funded – the assertion it “does not require a tax increase” -- is inaccurate.

If citizens approve the proposal, it will raise the sales tax by 1 cent over the lower rate the MAPs 4 levy’s end is set to bring.

But the language being used in promotion indicates it will not raise sales taxes because we are just going to continue the old rate.
It is just continuing. That decrease hasn’t happened. This doesn’t raise it just doesn’t allow the decrease. You are the one using language to make you sound like you are on the right side. Guess what vote how you think is best for OKC. But don’t be a hypocrite and do the same thing you are accusing others of.

It is just continuing. That decrease hasn’t happened. This doesn’t raise it just doesn’t allow the decrease. You are the one using language to make you sound like you are on the right side. Guess what vote how you think is best for OKC. But don’t be a hypocrite and do the same thing you are accusing others of.
I actually plagiarized the post you quoted...didn't mean to...I'm usually good at putting the source...I'm mad at myself for not doing so (citynewsokc)...buuutttt, if I had written it, of course everyone uses language/words to make them appear they are on the right side...cuz we usually think we are on the right side in a discussion...I voted no, and I am happy with my vote, although it will/did pass...don't know how that was hypocritical though, guess I'm a little slow...

if I'm renting a house, I ain't making any money off of it...so what's your point?
What if you are renting an office building to conduct your business?

@Okstatekerr question Is directly analogous then.

As for the underlying question, reasonable minds can disagree. That,s why I like that it was put to a vote of the people of the city.

Back