Thunder to ask OKC residents to fund ~$730 million toward new stadium

Polds4OSU

Marshall
Vote will be in December

Ownership group will put up $50 million of their own money

$70 million from MAPS 4 earmarked for Paycom Center to be repurposed toward new arena

MAPS penny sales tax to be extended to Fund the $730 Million additional funding and Thunder agree to play there for next 25 years

$50000000 ain’t chump change to me, but a joke to you. Okay

Are you a billionaire? If there was a profit to be had in building and running stadiums and arenas the owners would do it themselves. Instead they slough these poor public investments off on the locals with the blackmail threat of moving the team in they don’t comply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$50000000 ain’t chump change to me, but a joke to you. Okay
It’s chump change to an owner group of four billionaires. They don’t have to have a new arena, make do with what you got, that’s what those four would tell public schools to do.

What's wrong with the Paycom Center?
Oldest arena in NBA, locker rooms are way sub par for NBA team, loading docks are old and designed in a way that many of the worlds biggest acts today can't utilize the loading dock at Paycom so they skip putting on shows in favor of BOK in Tulsa because their loading docks are modern and don't have the same issue

Media support , facilities, infrastructure like wifi , electric etc not modern.....media area needs major overhaul...this is an arena that could host multiple playoff and World Champion basketball......reports from 90+ countries show up to cover that via radio, Internet, tv, etc etc..... Paycom was never even close to being able to support that and when the Thunder made the finals all those years ago it was a HUGE issue for media

Tulsa PAC just had a bind measure passed and part of their money is going to renovate and modernize the loading docks at the PAX as it in the he same boat as Paycom....Tulsa PAC said the reason most Broadway traveling shows skip over Tulsa PAC is that the loading dock couldn't accommodate modern trucks

Last edited:
It’s chump change to an owner group of four billionaires. They don’t have to have a new arena, make do with what you got, that’s what those four would tell public schools to do.
Per Traber yesterday on The Animal..he said he thought the $50 million would be a big sticking point for the voters and said the ownership should have at least offered $150 million
But said even at $50 million he will vote for it..said the city will still own it and get profits from bigger concerts etc that can use the updated space

Per Traber yesterday on The Animal..he said he thought the $50 million would be a big sticking point for the voters and said the ownership should have at least offered $150 million
But said even at $50 million he will vote for it..said the city will still own it and get profits from bigger concerts etc that can use the updated space
Wait, Wait, Wait, did you actually quote Traitor?

Are you a billionaire? If there was a profit to be had in building and running stadiums and arenas the owners would do it themselves. Instead they slough these poor public investments off on the locals with the blackmail threat of moving the team in they don’t comply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How is this different than municipalities completing infrastructure projects and giving tax breaks to Walmart and others to come and dominate their towns?

I think professional sports adds to a city's quality of life, but I think these billionaire owners are asking too much from taxpayers. I think there should be a more 50-50 split in these things. But same with subsidizing Amazon distribution centers, if your taxpayers don't approve it, a group somewhere else will, and its especially true in sports where all they have to do is dangle a relocation threat. Seattle would take the team back in a second, as would Vegas, Nashville, Kansas City, any number of markets. One of them would bite and give the owners everything they want. Hell, Arlington might just give up another billion dollars for a second DFW team. So the choice isn't about who should pay what, it's give us a billion in tax money (you know it'll be more than the current number) or we move. Works everytime (well most times and those who vote against it lose their teams).

How is this different than municipalities completing infrastructure projects and giving tax breaks to Walmart and others to come and dominate their towns?
Its really not. The big factor to me is it’s a billion dollars for a sports team that doesn’t bring new revenue, it redistributes revenue basically.

I think professional sports adds to a city's quality of life, but I think these billionaire owners are asking too much from taxpayers. I think there should be a more 50-50 split in these things. But same with subsidizing Amazon distribution centers, if your taxpayers don't approve it, a group somewhere else will, and its especially true in sports where all they have to do is dangle a relocation threat. Seattle would take the team back in a second, as would Vegas, Nashville, Kansas City, any number of markets. One of them would bite and give the owners everything they want. Hell, Arlington might just give up another billion dollars for a second DFW team.
Let them go then

Recently upgraded or new NFL stadiums and how they were funded and how much funding

The three hosts of the Thanksgiving games on Nov. 24, 2022, have all benefited from substantial taxpayer support to build their stadiums. Ford Field, home of the Lions and site of the first game, was constructed using $110 million in public funds. Dallas’ AT&T Stadium, the location of the second game, cost taxpayers $325 million when it opened in 2009. Minnesota’s U.S. Bank Stadium, the final Thanksgiving Day host stadium, was completed in 2016 using $498 million in public funds.

So-Fi Stadium

$5.5 billion
SoFi Stadium cost $5.5 billion and took almost four years to build, first serving as home for the Rams and Los Angeles Chargers in September 2020. Constructed as a JV between Turner Construction and AECOM Hunt, the stadium has 70,240 seats, and can expand to 100,240 for major events like the Super Bowl.Feb 9, 2023

100% PRIVATELY FUNDED

Back