Shotgun recommendation

Verbal

Deputy
Patreon Supporter
I’m looking for a new shotgun I already have a couple of 12 gauges and now want a 20 gauge semi auto to be used mostly for dove hunting. Probably in the $1500ish price range.

Anyone have a recommendation?

What do you have and what do you like dislike about them..... O/U....semi....

For dove hunting if you don't already have an O/U I would take a hard look at one. Also great for recreational shooting without blowing your shoulder out.

What do you have and what do you like dislike about them..... O/U....semi....

For dove hunting if you don't already have an O/U I would take a hard look at one. Also great for recreational shooting without blowing your shoulder out.

Winchester 1400. Its old and isn't that dependable.
Beretta A400. I like it but I want a shorter barrel (it has a 30" barrel).

I am looking at a 20 gauge mostly because it will get the job done and I don't currently have one.

I am open to an o/u but I was mostly looking at a semi because I would like to have that 3 round and I do not want a pump.

It's me... but if I were you I would look hard at the O/U option. 3" shell ain't doing much for you on doves or clays other than making the ammo bill higher.....shooting two instead of three lowers that as well. It will add a little variety to your collection and is easier to carry to the field. Lots of good options I have a Citori and White Onyx and love them both.

I do a ton of pheasant, grouse, and woodcock hunting (I live in NH), and I own a dozen+ shotguns. I often spend full days walking 7-10 miles during hunting season, so for me, weight is a big consideration. I got tired of lugging my old 8-lb Remington 1100 through the wood and fields. For a semiauto, I'd strongly consider the Franchi Affinity 3 Elite Upland, which weighs under 6 pounds in 20ga with the 26" barrel. It's a sweet shooting gun.

Winchester 1400. Its old and isn't that dependable.
Beretta A400. I like it but I want a shorter barrel (it has a 30" barrel).

I am looking at a 20 gauge mostly because it will get the job done and I don't currently have one.

I am open to an o/u but I was mostly looking at a semi because I would like to have that 3 round and I do not want a pump.
I use a Remington 20 gauge. It was my dad’s he got in the ‘70’s and it’s never let me down

It's me... but if I were you I would look hard at the O/U option. 3" shell ain't doing much for you on doves or clays other than making the ammo bill higher.....shooting two instead of three lowers that as well. It will add a little variety to your collection and is easier to carry to the field. Lots of good options I have a Citori and White Onyx and love them both.
Thanks for the advice I’ll look into a o/u

I’m looking for a new shotgun I already have a couple of 12 gauges and now want a 20 gauge semi auto to be used mostly for dove hunting. Probably in the $1500ish price range.

Anyone have a recommendation?
I've been a staunch o/u guy my whole life. Love my Browning Citori, 3 years ago I got a good deal on one of these and absolutely love it. Really smooth action and about 5 lbs allows me to lug it for miles in the pheasant fields with no discomfort. Highly recommend.

Screenshot_20240718_092029_Samsung Internet.jpg

I've been a staunch o/u guy my whole life. Love my Browning Citori, 3 years ago I got a good deal on one of these and absolutely love it. Really smooth action and about 5 lbs allows me to lug it for miles in the pheasant fields with no discomfort. Highly recommend.

View attachment 5817
Thanks. Between you and @Donnyboy I might have talked myself into an o/u.

Any thoughts on the different models? The Hunter Grade I is the cheapest. Is upgrading necessary?

Thanks. Between you and @Donnyboy I might have talked myself into an o/u.

Any thoughts on the different models? The Hunter Grade I is the cheapest. Is upgrading necessary?
I see no need for upgrading, unless it's for fitting the length of your pull. Upgrading grades is mostly decoration, ie etching in the receiver.
You can never go wrong with the Citori, IMO.

Back