OG&E seeks rate hike to replace old equipment

Pick a side. Do you want more NG fired generation that pays tax dollars into the public schools or do you want that plant retired and replaced w wind and solar?

I get it. You don’t want to pay for replacement costs when a company should pay for it. But it’s coming out of your pocket one way or another.
I vote for reliable and efficient natural gas replacement

I diss agree that wind turbines look bad. That is an opinion not fact. And what do you mean by agriculturally intrusive?
Not all of them are this bad, but when they go into crop land they put a road through the field. I know some people that have their fields cut into 1/8ths due to where they placed the road once the lease was signed. It’s can be very intrusive if you are dealing with the wrong company.

Wind turbines are intrusive in drainage patterns as well. You can’t put a big block of concrete in the ground and not change surface and subsoil water flow in either grass or crop ground. I’ve been surprised that there hasn’t been a study on this and a probable increase in soil temperature.

We run into the road problem with PSO and transmission lines, big on promises in negotiations terrible on follow through. It’s a heck of a lot easier dealing with oil companies and pipelines than electric companies. That’s my experience at least.

Not all of them are this bad, but when they go into crop land they put a road through the field. I know some people that have their fields cut into 1/8ths due to where they placed the road once the lease was signed. It’s can be very intrusive if you are dealing with the wrong company.

Wind turbines are intrusive in drainage patterns as well. You can’t put a big block of concrete in the ground and not change surface and subsoil water flow in either grass or crop ground. I’ve been surprised that there hasn’t been a study on this and a probable increase in soil temperature.

We run into the road problem with PSO and transmission lines, big on promises in negotiations terrible on follow through. It’s a heck of a lot easier dealing with oil companies and pipelines than electric companies. That’s my experience at least.
Both have their warts. It’s all in the eye of the beholder. But nothing says beaut like a compressor station, tank battery or pump jack pad.

Ultimately it’s up to the land owner to negotiate easements w the wind power companies and then hold them accountable.

I hadn’t thought about the drainage but that’s a good point. I would guess that any turbine fields or solar fields on state or federal lands are subject to EIA’s much the same way oil and gas projects are. But I admit it’s not a one size fits all or apples to apples application.

Oil and gas companies are easier to deal w now because of multipad horizontal drilling programs. This has limited down spacing and the number of pads and ingress/egress needs. We as an industry have come a long way w how we treat both surface and mineral owners. Wind the clock back 30 years and it wasn’t a good relationship.

So all of this is issues with oil rigs also. Maybe not as bad but still the same. As far as I can tell both types of energy cause problems.

Both have their warts. It’s all in the eye of the beholder. But nothing says beaut like a compressor station, tank battery or pump jack pad.

Ultimately it’s up to the land owner to negotiate easements w the wind power companies and then hold them accountable.

I hadn’t thought about the drainage but that’s a good point. I would guess that any turbine fields or solar fields on state or federal lands are subject to EIA’s much the same way oil and gas projects are. But I admit it’s not a one size fits all or apples to apples application.

Oil and gas companies are easier to deal w now because of multipad horizontal drilling programs. This has limited down spacing and the number of pads and ingress/egress needs. We as an industry have come a long way w how we treat both surface and mineral owners. Wind the clock back 30 years and it wasn’t a good relationship.
I agree about the leases. I’ve had to be a huge ass with the electric companies where I don’t have to be as difficult with oil.

We had PSO shred five acres of wheat around the edge of an easement after cutting my lock to do it then they lied about it. I warned them about the stupid tax for lying. That little stunt cost them.

Back