Minutes Projection

InChristAlone

The roster for the upcoming season appears to be set now with the addition of Vukovic. How will the minutes be distributed at each position?

Arturo Dean 5'10" Jr.
Khalil Brantley 5'11" Sr.
Jamyron Keller 6'1" So.
Davonte Davis 6'3" Sr.
Brandon Newman 6'4" Sr.
Bryce Thompson 6'5" Sr.
Connor Dow 6'6" So.
Mikey Kelvin 6'6" Sr.
Patrick Suemnick 6'7" Sr.
Marchelus Avery 6'8" Sr.
Robert Jennings 6'8" Jr.
Abou Ousmane 6'9" Sr.
Andrija Vukovic 6'11" Fr.
Kirk Cole 6'1" Jr. (Walk-On)
Jaxton Bobik 6'7" Fr. (Walk-On)
CJ Smith 6'7" So. (Walk-On)
Tyler Caron 6'8" Sr. (Walk-On)

25-30 for the 1
20-25 for the 2
30-35 for the 3
20-25 for the 4
15 for the 5
😂 😂
Haven’t seen or heard much from the program in regards to minutes. Have to assume DD and Xavier transfer being upperclasssmen would have an advantage to gain minutes. Many sound like tough role players so will be interesting to see who develops!

The roster for the upcoming season appears to be set now with the addition of Vukovic. How will the minutes be distributed at each position?

Arturo Dean 5'10" Jr.
Khalil Brantley 5'11" Sr.
Jamyron Keller 6'1" So.
Davonte Davis 6'3" Sr.
Brandon Newman 6'4" Sr.
Bryce Thompson 6'5" Sr.
Connor Dow 6'6" So.
Mikey Kelvin 6'6" Sr.
Patrick Suemnick 6'7" Sr.
Marchelus Avery 6'8" Sr.
Robert Jennings 6'8" Jr.
Abou Ousmane 6'9" Sr.
Andrija Vukovic 6'11" Fr.
Kirk Cole 6'1" Jr. (Walk-On)
Jaxton Bobik 6'7" Fr. (Walk-On)
CJ Smith 6'7" So. (Walk-On)
Tyler Caron 6'8" Sr. (Walk-On)
We are right at 2 months from 1st tip and for the first time in over 40 years I have no idea who our team is. It’s like I took a map and blindfolded dropped my finger and declared “I’m rooting for the closest D1 team.”

I’ll be there 1st tip but man it’s gonna take some work to figure out who all these guys are and how they fit together. On top of that we (and thankfully so) have to figure out new sets and called plays.

Looking forward to:

No turnovers out of timeouts.
Effective use of timeouts.
Offensive discipline and fewer yanked 3s.
Actual baseline out of bounds sets.
Defending the pick and roll.
Role players effectively filling their roles.
Strategic rotations and substitutions.

We check off this list and I’ll be happy watching basketball again.

25-30 for the 1
20-25 for the 2
30-35 for the 3
20-25 for the 4
15 for the 5
😂 😂
Haven’t seen or heard much from the program in regards to minutes. Have to assume DD and Xavier transfer being upperclasssmen would have an advantage to gain minutes. Many sound like tough role players so will be interesting to see who develops!
One of the things that intrigues me about this roster is that there are 8 seniors! Lots of college basketball experience. Will be very interesting to see what kind of an impact that experience has.

We are right at 2 months from 1st tip and for the first time in over 40 years I have no idea who our team is. It’s like I took a map and blindfolded dropped my finger and declared “I’m rooting for the closest D1 team.”

I’ll be there 1st tip but man it’s gonna take some work to figure out who all these guys are and how they fit together. On top of that we (and thankfully so) have to figure out new sets and called plays.

Looking forward to:

No turnovers out of timeouts.
Effective use of timeouts.
Offensive discipline and fewer yanked 3s.
Actual baseline out of bounds sets.
Defending the pick and roll.
Role players effectively filling their roles.
Strategic rotations and substitutions.

We check off this list and I’ll be happy watching basketball again.
The lack of familiarity increases the intrigue for me. This team could win 10 games or go to the Sweet 16 and I am not sure which result would surprise me more.

I would expect that many of the items on your list will be checked off because of better coaching and a more experienced team. Will it translate to wins? Who knows?

I think it’s safe to assume based on experience, production, and size that Bryce Thompson, Brantley, Deebo, Ousmane and Vukovic all play a lot of minutes. After that, every minute is up for grabs. And that’s not a bad thing. If I had to guess I’d say Keller, Avery, Newman, Suemnik, and Dean will also play more than others. After that Jennings and Kelvin are wild cards. I don’t see Dow playing any meaningful minutes.

I am going to give it a shot. Here is my best guess:

Davis- 28 MPG
Newman- 26 MPG
Brantley- 20 MPG
Thompson- 18 MPG
Dean- 18 MPG
Kelvin- 11 MPG
Keller- 6 MPG
Dow- 1 MPG

Ousmane- 25 MPG
Avery- 20 MPG
Jennings- 19 MPG
Vukovic- 7 MPG
Suemnick- 1 MPG

Shoot holes in it.

Last edited:

Davis- 28 MPG
Newman- 26 MPG
Brantley- 20 MPG
Thompson- 18 MPG
Dean- 18 MPG
Kelvin- 11 MPG
Keller- 6 MPG
Dow- 1 MPG

Ousmane- 25 MPG
Avery- 20 MPG
Jennings- 19 MPG
Vukovic- 7 MPG
Suemnick- 1 MPG

Shoot holes in it.

Newman has never produced offensively at or close to the level of an average Bryce Thompson OSU season. I know Newman is a Lutz guy, but BT is our best scoring option and he’s done so against a Big 12 schedule not smaller schools. Newman also has never averaged that many minutes both at Purdue or WKU. You could argue defense, but BT isn’t a bad defender either. BT definitely plays the most minutes at the 2/3 in my opinion, flip his and Newmans minutes. Other than that, Vukovic has the size and put up better numbers playing against grown men in the post compared to Jennings, Avery and Suemnik did against college dudes, Vukovic gets the nod down low.

Davis- 28 MPG
Newman- 26 MPG
Brantley- 20 MPG
Thompson- 18 MPG
Dean- 18 MPG
Kelvin- 11 MPG
Keller- 6 MPG
Dow- 1 MPG

Ousmane- 25 MPG
Avery- 20 MPG
Jennings- 19 MPG
Vukovic- 7 MPG
Suemnick- 1 MPG

Shoot holes in it.
I'm sad that I have such a paltry amount of knowledge about the team that I can't argue with anything other than BT should have the most minutes out of anyone.

Davis- 28 MPG
Newman- 26 MPG
Brantley- 20 MPG
Thompson- 18 MPG
Dean- 18 MPG
Kelvin- 11 MPG
Keller- 6 MPG
Dow- 1 MPG

Ousmane- 25 MPG
Avery- 20 MPG
Jennings- 19 MPG
Vukovic- 7 MPG
Suemnick- 1 MPG

Shoot holes in it.
I think Keller and Vukovic are really good players. I don’t see how they get under 10
Min a game.

This would be my starting 5

Keller/dean PG
Davis SG
Thompson SG
Vukovic C
Ousmane PF

I seriously doubt Ousmane and Vukovic start and/or play major minutes together. We’ll need to stagger their minutes to keep a true big on the court at all times. Ousmane also doesn’t offer enough defensively switchability for them to play together, so unless Vukovic is just a freak I doubt it would work.

Someone mentioned earlier that we will play FAST. That tends to favor a smaller lineup. Based on his track record they run like hell on both sides. Excited to watch disciplined and blue collar play again! The person who mentioned fast sounds like they’ve seen a practice or two or know someone which is awesome! Might surprise some teams as they gel

Someone mentioned earlier that we will play FAST. That tends to favor a smaller lineup. Based on his track record they run like hell on both sides. Excited to watch disciplined and blue collar play again! The person who mentioned fast sounds like they’ve seen a practice or two or know someone which is awesome! Might surprise some teams as they gel
I remember reading when OSU hired Lutz that WKU led the nation in some kind of tempo metric last year. I think it might have been seconds per possession. I think it will be fun to watch. My favorite thing about this roster is experience and depth. There are 8 seniors on scholarship and the team is deep enough that it wouldn't be surprising to see any of about 10 different guys start in my opinion. And I think that is the kind of depth you need to play at that pace in the Big 12.

Back