Defense and improving from here

I don’t want to start this thread as a fire nardo thread.

I just don’t understand a few things. Why did gundy go away from a 4-3 Knowles defense that got us to a top 10’ rank defensively. I understand not expecting the next DC to produce at the level Knowles had them. But why go away from what works.

I get that nardo was a big culture guy but there seems to be some significant flaws in the 3 man front that can’t address SEC offensive lines.

I hope we can see improvement as the season progresses but it’s hard to understand why we choose to switch formations with so much proof that the 4-3 run correctly is amazing.

I get that 3 man front is probably effective in the big 12 but outside of our conference we will get hung out to dry against bigger olines.

I see it differently. In the Nard Dawgs’s tenure we are 3-1 against the bigger lines. We beat the goons (yes, they were ass), lost to the whorns, beat the aggies and beat porky. He’s learning and he is light years better than this time last year.

The fact of the matter is that we don’t play routinely against SEC offensive lines.

First, the 3-3-5 is a great defense for dealing against spread style offenses. That’s what we play against most of the time, so it makes sense to have a defense that attacks that. There’s a reason TCU and ISU have had some of the better defenses in our conference over the past 10ish years. It’s a system that, when firmly in place, is very flexible and can address the pain points that spread offenses try to exploit. It’s going to take time, however, to get put into place. It’s a mentally challenging defense to master.

Second, Knowles had a top 10 defense for one year, and it also benefited from being our most experienced and talented defensive unit arguably ever. This wasn’t something where a superior strategy allowed us to perform at a higher level- there was a lot of stars that aligned to make our defense great.

The truth is that it’s much more difficult to recruit big, athletic DTs to support a 4 man front than it is to recruit for a 3-3-5 approach. It’s easier to recruit those “star” positions that can play undersized linebacker/larger safeties, or even develop safeties already on the roster to step into that role like Kendal Daniels. It also allows us to protect our depth up front and keep our big guys from tiring out over the season. Also, it was Kendal Daniels who stepped up in the clutch and made the stop on the Arkansas RB on 4th and 1.

I just don’t understand a few things. Why did gundy go away from a 4-3 Knowles defense that got us to a top 10’ rank defensively. I understand not expecting the next DC to produce at the level Knowles had them. But why go away from what works.

I get that nardo was a big culture guy but there seems to be some significant flaws in the 3 man front that can’t address SEC offensive lines.

I hope we can see improvement as the season progresses but it’s hard to understand why we choose to switch formations with so much proof that the 4-3 run correctly is amazing.

I get that 3 man front is probably effective in the big 12 but outside of our conference we will get hung out to dry against bigger olines.
Knowles did not run a 4-3. He ran a 4-2-5 and combined it with some 3 man front.

Nardo came in basing out of the 3-3-5 and has now been working at combining his 3-3-5 with the 4-2.

The biggest difference I’ve noticed between the two is Knowles had his DB’s play much more aggressive/man coverage. I think Nardo has improved on that this year but still not what Knowles was doing.

Nardo is tweaking his defense and trying to mesh it all together. I’m really only concerned with the amount of chunk plays per game that they’re still giving up. This has to cut down. Our tackling and physicality is much improved from last year.

Petrino is a well seasoned veteran OC and has seen every defense possible. Add in we don’t have any NFL talent on the DL and they have several OL NFL prospects they have a big advantage there. Add in speed of the QB and RB and it exploited a lot. Felt like a big bowl game to me. Just one of those you get a week or two to prepare and good luck. I don’t believe we will see a better backfield tandem than what we saw. Like mentioned I don’t underrated how guys run freely on verts and don’t get picked up

The main difference aside from scheme is that Knowles could adjust in real time, and seemed to constantly calibrate with each drive. That's high level coordinator stuff. Not only did his system allow those adjustments, but he was able to (a) lay down whatever plan he had going in, and adjust to the actual game at-hand, and (b) effectively communicate the adjustments very quickly so it translates drive by drive.

Nardo seems to only effectively adjust by half, and doesn't adjust much during said half. If the game plan through the week was bad, we're stuck with it until halftime.

Our defenders look confused often, and we see massive busts in coverage regularly. Something tells me his scheme is too complicated, and he needs to simplify.

The main difference aside from scheme is that Knowles could adjust in real time, and seemed to constantly calibrate with each drive. That's high level coordinator stuff. Not only did his system allow those adjustments, but he was able to (a) lay down whatever plan he had going in, and adjust to the actual game at-hand, and (b) effectively communicate the adjustments very quickly so it translates drive by drive.

Nardo seems to only effectively adjust by half, and doesn't adjust much during said half. If the game plan through the week was bad, we're stuck with it until halftime.

Our defenders look confused often, and we see massive busts in coverage regularly. Something tells me his scheme is too complicated, and he needs to simplify.
Actually, Knowles made the major adjustments at halftime. Numerous games in 2021, the opposing teams scored their points in the first half and then were shut out in 2nd half. But that’s neither here nor there. We have to improve all around. I still think Nardo is a good coach, just needs to continue to gain experience and adjust.

Good TEs, especially if a team can put two on the field and still be a passing threat defeat the 3-3-5.

It creates a blocking advantage for the offense.

Actually, Knowles made the major adjustments at halftime. Numerous games in 2021, the opposing teams scored their points in the first half and then were shut out in 2nd half. But that’s neither here nor there. We have to improve all around. I still think Nardo is a good coach, just needs to continue to gain experience and adjust.
Yes, he adjusted big things at halftime. But he also made in-game adjustments that are far beyond what we've seen from most of our more recent coordinators. I recall a few instances of adjustments after a drive or two, and more adjustments in the same game to eliminate certain offensive schemes or players. We haven't seen that from Nardo yet. He still seems in over his head. Hopefully that changes.

Its pretty frustrating to see the same schemes exploited 8-10 times in the same game. That has to get fixed. We have to be able to adapt to the game, and adjust to the opposing OC.

It's amazing how some people have such revisionist memories of the Knowles era here. I mean, it is not just with him, but it seems like since Knowles left, that's been the biggest topic for revision. They also seem to remember only one Knowles year, conveniently.
While I understand that it wasn’t always smooth sailing but I think with the transfer portal and NIL the best most teams can hope for is 1 year of extremely good defense.

My problem and issue with nardo is that his defense has some really good players and some veterans and yet we gave up 648 yards of offense Saturday. I just don’t see that as improvement.

@Osucowboys344
What 2nd half results against Petrino’s offense would you be happy with?

What are your metrics for first downs, points and yardage?

Let’s set a baseline for your expectations, so we can get to the point that would make you happy.

Getting rid of the ambiguity and vagueness helps define the problem so Nardo can perform to your expectations

@Osucowboys344
What 2nd half results against Petrino’s offense would you be happy with?

What are your metrics for first downs, points and yardage?

Let’s set a baseline for your expectations, so we can get to the point that would make you happy.

Getting rid of the ambiguity and vagueness helps define the problem so Nardo can perform to your expectations
I am not unhappy with the result because we won but I am concerned that having a defense that gives up that many yards will eventually lose us football games.

I am just struggling looking at the stats and coming up with positives. We have very good linebackers and safeties so I don’t feel we don’t have talent. And maybe by season end, I will feel better about the game because Arkansas will be a bowl team.

I guess if we are going to set a yardage goal then I would say 400 yards total offense. I guess what would make you feel like Nardo is improving the defense. Did we have any games in the prior season where we gave up 600+ yards of total offense?

I mean it really doesn’t matter what I think because at the end of the day this is on Gundy and co. They will make the decision and I will continue to goto the games either way.

I am not unhappy with the result because we won but I am concerned that having a defense that gives up that many yards will eventually lose us football games.

I am just struggling looking at the stats and coming up with positives. We have very good linebackers and safeties so I don’t feel we don’t have talent. And maybe by season end, I will feel better about the game because Arkansas will be a bowl team.

I guess if we are going to set a yardage goal then I would say 400 yards total offense. I guess what would make you feel like Nardo is improving the defense. Did we have any games in the prior season where we gave up 600+ yards of total offense?

I mean it really doesn’t matter what I think because at the end of the day this is on Gundy and co. They will make the decision and I will continue to goto the games either way.
The first half wasn’t great. It was anyones first time seeing Ark’s personnel with that OC and that QB and Running Back.

Ark’s first game was a cake walk.

In addition our defense was running back on the field as quickly as they ran off because the offense had a run of 38 yards over five possessions- which gives zero time to rest or adjust game plan.

The second half was tighter. Arkansas is a legitimate team and would compete for a Big 12 championship if they were in our conference.

I’m happy the adjustments were made.

This is real life, not a video game.

I agree. We've got too much talent and speed to be getting gashed like we have been. With that said, I will gladly take the dub. And great stop on 4th and 1.

The first half wasn’t great. It was anyones first time seeing Ark’s personnel with that OC and that QB and Running Back.

Ark’s first game was a cake walk.

In addition our defense was running back on the field as quickly as they ran off because the offense had a run of 38 yards over five possessions- which gives zero time to rest or adjust game plan.

The second half was tighter. Arkansas is a legitimate team and would compete for a Big 12 championship if they were in our conference.

I’m happy the adjustments were made.

This is real life, not a video game.
This is fair. I think not having a lot of time to analyze Arkansas’ new additions and them
Also having an elite OC definitely was a hard task to expect to solve after week 1.

I will probably take a wait and see approach. Maybe this thread was a little premature and we see massive improvement over the next few weeks.

Petrino is a top notch offensive coach. Full stop.

Nardo is behind and matching him up with Petrino isn’t even fair.

No imagine if we had an OC like Petrino…….

Back