CFN.com Preview: South Alabama vs. Oklahoma State

Which one of you wrote that description of our offense?

I think this week is when we finally score some real points! That’s based on nothing but 100% homerism but we’re due!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which one of you wrote that description of our offense?

I think this week is when we finally score some real points! That’s based on nothing but 100% homerism but we’re due!

What gives you the idea that offense is due to explode? I lm still doubtful we can score over 30

What gives you the idea that offense is due to explode? I lm still doubtful we can score over 30

100% homerism my man! High hopes every week! Plus it’s USA, even platooning QB’s we should hopefully roll. It would be a much needed boost.

They have not even cracked the playbook open yet. However I don't think we will need to do that again this week. I mean this team has installed a lot more RPO, gap run scheme and under center plays.... YET we have barely done any of those so far. Plus when we have is when we have looked really good. They are also limiting Ollie to save him for conference play when he will be needed. I do have concerns about the OL but do not take the offense we have done these last two games as are full true offense.

Honestly...if I see "we haven't even opened the playbook yet" again, I'm going to send a strongly worded email. :rolleyes:
Then ignore it but its the truth. Have you seen any post game breakdowns of alignments, play calling, audibles etc? You don't have to see much of this from the last two games to clearly see they are treating these games as preseason games. Heck one of our players even slipped up this week and called these games preseason and that a lot what not being used yet. Its not like we are playing a ranked power 5 team where we need to do more to win.

Then ignore it but its the truth. Have you seen any post game breakdowns of alignments, play calling, audibles etc? You don't have to see much of this from the last two games to clearly see they are treating these games as preseason games. Heck one of our players even slipped up this week and called these games preseason and that a lot what not being used yet. Its not like we are playing a ranked power 5 team where we need to do more to win.

So let me ask you, what will we be doing differently when we start conference play? Every year, since Yurcish left, people say that we "haven't opened up the play book"--just wait until we play the "important" games, and every year, we see the same garbage offense all season. I don't see any other teams doing this; they just run their offense. Look at Kansas; I don't see them playing vanilla to start the season--their offense is a blast to watch--all kinds of creativity. We're not hiding anything; what we've seen thus far is all we got, or at least all we're going to run with any regularity.

So let me ask you, what will we be doing differently when we start conference play? Every year, since Yurcish left, people say that we "haven't opened up the play book"--just wait until we play the "important" games, and every year, we see the same garbage offense all season. I don't see any other teams doing this; they just run their offense. Look at Kansas; I don't see them playing vanilla to start the season--their offense is a blast to watch--all kinds of creativity. We're not hiding anything; what we've seen thus far is all we got, or at least all we're going to run with any regularity.
More sideways passes for no gain!! #amirite?

Its not necessarily just a change in plays, though there will be some of that. It will be things like more pre snap motion, more RPO options for the QB, more audibles, a LOT more gap running and blocking scheme, and more under center snaps. Things that can put more pressure on a defense, help the QB to determine the defensive setup, or allow us to disguise a play more. You are also likely to see more lead blocker run plays (mostly going with the under center setup), and more TE stuff. All of these things have been reported as being practiced by the team in the spring, over the summer and in fall camp.

On defense it will be more formations and more options for blitzing. We have done almost no true blitz's so far and haven't really needed to. We added some more formations for ASU but we were still pretty base.

Last year the offense came out on fire, doing exactly the same thing you're calling for. Averaged 42 ppg through first 6 games (not including ARPB). Especially against CMU they came out with some brand new formations and route concepts, hell JPR was lined up at Cowboy Back on his first TD. You only have so many plays, assuming you can still execute them effectively, the less they are on tape for your opponent the better.

Are you just yelling at the clouds?

Its not necessarily just a change in plays, though there will be some of that. It will be things like more pre snap motion, more RPO options for the QB, more audibles, a LOT more gap running and blocking scheme, and more under center snaps. Things that can put more pressure on a defense, help the QB to determine the defensive setup, or allow us to disguise a play more. You are also likely to see more lead blocker run plays (mostly going with the under center setup), and more TE stuff. All of these things have been reported as being practiced by the team in the spring, over the summer and in fall camp.

On defense it will be more formations and more options for blitzing. We have done almost no true blitz's so far and haven't really needed to. We added some more formations for ASU but we were still pretty base.

Hope you're right, but I'm not optimistic that we'll see that much of a change in the offense.

True, they're waiting for just the right time to break that out. That's probably why JPR transferred to TCU--he was getting tired of getting lit up on that play.
Its not. He wanted a sure starting WR spot. Its the same reason Boogie Jr transferred to Houston. The latter is not even starting there through 2 games.

Dude, they are barely winning against mediocre competition as is.

By and large, how an offense blocks (on the line) a play has little to do with surprising a defense. Being under center does not change much from a defensive standpoint. Keep drinking the orange Kool-Aid. This offense will be just as bad in week 10 as it is now.

By and large, how an offense blocks (on the line) a play has little to do with surprising a defense. Being under center does not change much from a defensive standpoint. Keep drinking the orange Kool-Aid. This offense will be just as bad in week 10 as it is now.
Guess we will have to wait and see. Barring injuries I think you are going to be very wrong.

What I see is that from Center to LT we are not athletic. Don’t get out on screens. Can’t get to 2nd level. Can’t set up in passpro quick enough. Can’t come off block to pick up blitz.

This severely hamstrings our ability to throw the deep ball. Run screens to that side and pick up blitz’s.

We also can’t pull w anyone from the left side bc they just don’t get there consistently or when they do the DE/LB just follows them to the ball. Happened 2x against ASU.

Unless the younger guys on the OL give us this and coaches are willing to go with the young guys, our offense will not change much bc it can’t.

We are also limited bc we throw the ball inside the hashes maybe once or twice a game.

Sure we might throw in some new formations, motion (like the BP TD pass) and route tress but I’ll be shocked if we change much bc we just are limited.

But as always. Go Pokes!

I think your crystal ball may be a little fuzzy. We will be better

Back