Wild stab at depth chart- 2023

Unless Stribling or Bruce have a great Spring Practice, they won't be starters.
Notable Transfers in their first year at OSU:
Tay Martin 15-149 yds
Jordan McCray 19-237 yds
Tyron Johnson 18-293 yds

It will be Presley for about 35-40% target share at the WR.
Then Blaine Green (21-314 as a Freshman), Jaden Bray, and/or Shettron.

Owens might be the only player with experience that the newcomers beat out on the depth chart.

I just don't see the returning players getting jumped in the depth chart unless the transfers light it up. It has to be a significant difference.

OSU isn't known to just plug in players at skill positions. It wasn't until the 3rd game that Jaylen Warren became the work horse at RB and it was so obvious when it finally happened.
In the OSU locker room, usually loyalty trumps talent in the line-up.
Those guys weren’t featured at the same level as the guys coming in this year in their previous offense. Different types of transfer situations in my opinion under the old system and new system. Gundy has made it a priority to target proven guys instead of flyers on guys who had stars from a website next to their name that couldn’t cut it at their previous school.

Those guys weren’t featured at the same level as the guys coming in this year in their previous offense. Different types of transfer situations in my opinion under the old system and new system. Gundy has made it a priority to target proven guys instead of flyers on guys who had stars from a website next to their name that couldn’t cut it at their previous school.
Bruce wasn't featured at Iowa. Only 19- 187yds in his 2nd year. He was 4th on the team. Fortunately, he has Spring practice, but I would be surprised if he is a Game 1 starter.

Leon Johnson is a wild card coming from DIII. He has to be is athletic since he played multi-sports. 6-5 WR in DIII, I don't know how much of his 1156yds were because he was just a giant out there compared to other DIII players. Worth a shot.

Stribling was part of a 3 headed attack at WSU. His game stats were consistent throughout the year. He is the only one I see with a chance to start.

Washington State Leading WR's
De'Zhaun Stribling 12 games 51-602yds
Robert Ferrel 11 games 56-582yds
Donovan Ollie 12 games 43-491yds

Part of it has to do with the returners that could start opposite Presley. Bray, Owens, Blaine Green, and Talyn Shettron. All have shown some ability in actual OSU games. Maybe not Shettron in games, because OSU wanted him to redshirt.

Bruce wasn't featured at Iowa. Only 19- 187yds in his 2nd year. He was 4th on the team. Fortunately, he has Spring practice, but I would be surprised if he is a Game 1 starter.

Leon Johnson is a wild card coming from DIII. He has to be is athletic since he played multi-sports. 6-5 WR in DIII, I don't know how much of his 1156yds were because he was just a giant out there compared to other DIII players. Worth a shot.

Stribling was part of a 3 headed attack at WSU. His game stats were consistent throughout the year. He is the only one I see with a chance to start.

Part of it has to do with the returners that could start opposite Presley. Bray, Owens, Blaine Green, and Talyn Shettron. All have shown some ability in actual OSU games. Maybe not Shettron in games, because OSU wanted him to redshirt.
To me, they don't need Bruce to start. I think they need him to contribute in some return game on SP Teams and roll in for Presley to give him a breather. Just some added depth really, get him ready to take over for Presley once he moves on. I'm in no way trying to act like losing Green and the others was no big deal but I wouldn't be surprised if this group is better overall than what we had in 2022.

That’s a ton at Iowa when looking only at WR 🤣.

Bruce has gadget qualities, he’ll get high quality touches out of the slot, backfield and line up or motion all over the formation.

Stribling led WSU in yards and TDs and profiled as one of the top available transfers in the country. I’ve heard personally from contacts inside the program he’s came in and balled out day 1. I agree on Leon, but Gundy & Co. aren’t taking a risk on a DIII guy unless his athletic profile fits at this level and the production and experience is there.

That’s a ton at Iowa when looking only at WR 🤣.

Bruce has gadget qualities, he’ll get high quality touches out of the slot, backfield and line up or motion all over the formation.

Stribling led WSU in yards and TDs and profiled as one of the top available transfers in the country. I’ve heard personally from contacts inside the program he’s came in and balled out day 1. I agree on Leon, but Gundy & Co. aren’t taking a risk on a DIII guy unless his athletic profile fits at this level and the production and experience is there.
Leon was apparently recommended to Gundy and staff from an NFL scout. Leon was told by the scout that he had NFL potential but they thought it best if he proved it at the FBS level and get him in touch with us.

Honestly, not sure I wouldn’t set aside the majority of our recruiting classes to portal guys. Older, stronger, been in class/weight rooms, etc. grab the few high school guys that make sense and move on. At the very least, the guys up front both sides.

Honestly, not sure I wouldn’t set aside the majority of our recruiting classes to portal guys. Older, stronger, been in class/weight rooms, etc. grab the few high school guys that make sense and move on. At the very least, the guys up front both sides.
Plus, transfer guys have already transferred and cannot transfer again except for grad transfers. They have a higher chance of riding it out with us.

Last edited:
This is why I feel more comfortable with players like Kendal Daniels, since he has already transferred once.

Think of all the OL players that spent 2-3 years growing and lifting weights at OSU, just to transfer out. Developing CB's to just transfer out for their final year and make OSU's secondary look pedestrian to start the 2022 season.

This year had 19 high school kids and 14 portal/juco. I would target 10-13 high school kids and then the balance for portal/jucos.

The NCAA had been granting all waivers over the last couple years, so it didn't matter how often someone transferred. JT Daniels is an example.

Fortunately, they came out recently saying that they will not be rubber stamping waivers anymore. This should slow down some transfers. It still allows them one undergrad and one grad school transfer without a sit out year.

This is why I feel more comfortable with players like Kendal Daniels, since he has already transferred once.

Think of all the OL players that spent 2-3 years growing and lifting weights at OSU, just to transfer out. Developing CB's to just transfer out for their final year and make OSU's secondary look pedestrian to start the 2022 season.

This year had 19 high school kids and 14 portal/juco. I would target 10-13 high school kids and then the balance for portal/jucos.
Kendal Daniels got a release from his NLI, I don’t think he took classes at A&M

Kendal Daniels got a release from his NLI, I don’t think he took classes at A&M
Correct he is not a transfer. Also the negative to transfers that has to be weighed is that they lock up a scholarship spot for however many years they have till a normal graduation, no matter what happens to them. In other words if a transfer quits school, quits the team, or even has a career ending injury, we still hold a scholarship spot for them for potentially years to come. This is a new rule that is trying to curb younger guys from transferring.

Correct he is not a transfer. Also the negative to transfers that has to be weighed is that they lock up a scholarship spot for however many years they have till a normal graduation, no matter what happens to them. In other words if a transfer quits school, quits the team, or even has a career ending injury, we still hold a scholarship spot for them for potentially years to come. This is a new rule that is trying to curb younger guys from transferring.
Doesn't that only hurt the school and no effect on the student-athlete?

Doesn't that only hurt the school and no effect on the student-athlete?
That is correct but I guess the thought is it will make schools less likely to go after younger transfers. Apparently it is working at least for us because that was supposedly one of the reasons we concentrated on transfers that only had 1 or 2 years left to play.

Back