We need a food thread

Why? That poor steak...

Do that with a chuck roast. There's no reason to use a steak. If you must, use a sirloin.

My biggest gripe is their is no traceable standard of identity to put it on the label. I could go grind a damn goat and call it wagyu if I wanted.
That's the problem with lots of beef, no label requirements. If you finish out cattle correctly they taste good. We harvested a Sim-Angus steer and a Charalois-Angus steer this past fall. They were both finished the same, but the Sim-Angus was spectacular and the Char-Angus just good.

That's the problem with lots of beef, no label requirements. If you finish out cattle correctly they taste good. We harvested a Sim-Angus steer and a Charalois-Angus steer this past fall. They were both finished the same, but the Sim-Angus was spectacular and the Char-Angus just good.
So just curious, what do you mean by finished out? I ask because I have the ability to raise cattle but no real desire for the whole process. But just getting them ready for butchering might be just fine if I get a freezer full of meat (ok several freezers lol).

So just curious, what do you mean by finished out? I ask because I have the ability to raise cattle but no real desire for the whole process. But just getting them ready for butchering might be just fine if I get a freezer full of meat (ok several freezers lol).
You can't really tell if they are ready for harvest by their size. We try to put 5/10ths of 6/10ths fat over the back rib. We watch their flank to see when it fills in and we run our handd over the rib cage to see what the condition or fat is. If you find a rib at the back or down low then it's time for more feed.

Our steers are normally 1400 lbs to 1450 lbs when they go to career day. We put our steers on a self feeder. We always do two steers at a time so we put them on full feed at 700 to 800 lbs. We put three tons of feed in the feeder, keep them hay (prairie hay) and a few months later they are ready to change careers. We have a mix we get from our feed guys in super sacks. If you put a freeze miser on you automatic float you won't even have to break much ice. We normally have our steers on heavy feed for three to four months depending on their frame and the quality of forage they are on prior to finishing school.

Those two steers filled two and a half freezers. We normally pull the calves that either have an imperfection like a missing tail switch or doesn't move well due to injury.

Last edited:
Tri tip is delightful. If you can find some mis rubins black magic, hit it with that before smoking as well.

You can't really tell if they are ready for harvest by their size. We try to put 5/10ths of 6/10ths fat over the back rib. We watch their flank to see when it fills in and we run our handd over the rib cage to see what the condition or fat is. If you find a rib at the back or down low then it's time for more feed.

Our steers are normally 1400 lbs to 1450 lbs when they go to career day. We put our steers on a self feeder. We always do two steers at a time so we put them on full feed at 700 to 800 lbs. We put three tons of feed in the feeder, keep them hay (prairie hay) and a few months later they are ready to change careers. We have a mix we get from our feed guys in super sacks. If you put a freeze miser on you automatic float you won't even have to break much ice. We normally have our steers on heavy feed for three to four months depending on their frame and the quality of forage they are on prior to finishing school.

Those two steers filled two and a half freezers. We normally pull the calves that either have an imperfection like a missing tail switch or doesn't move well due to injury.
I don’t know how close you are to Enid, but sounds like I’d like to have your cattle when the plant is up and running this summer.

I don’t know how close you are to Enid, but sounds like I’d like to have your cattle when the plant is up and running this summer.
Thank you, I appreciate that. I'm a little far away, but I have family up by Enid that I'm going to put some calves on feed for. Maybe we can work something out. I hate the idea of my grandkids, neices and nephews not having quality beef to eat.

Should I season my new Blackstone griddle? Or do they come ready? Also what’s the best way to do that? I’ll take the answer off the air.

Should I season my new Blackstone griddle? Or do they come ready? Also what’s the best way to do that? I’ll take the answer off the air.
Yes you need to season it. A low smoke oil is recommended though the much more fun way is to just cook a whole bunch of bacon on it the first time. Once bacon is done evenly spread the grease and burn it all off. Make sure you have good ventilation though as it will take some time to get that grease seasoned into the surface.

I seasoned mine with canola oil. To do this.......turn your burners on high for about 15 minutes, squirt canola oil on cooking surface and take a folded paper towel and wipe the whole cooking surface with the canola oil to make a thin coat of canola all over the surface.

Be careful doing this so you don't burn yourself. If you get a big enough wad of paper towel and fold it into a square, you can hold a corner of it and not touch the cooking surface. Or you can take some tongs and hold the paper towel with that.

Once it's all wiped evenly onto the surface, keep the burners turned up until it the oil smokes for several minutes until it quits smoking. Then turn the burners off and let griddle cool for about 20 minutes or so. Then fire the burners back up, let the surface got hot again, squirt canola oil on the surface again and repeat the process.

You should do this process 4 or 5 times. Everytime you cook on it after it's seasoned, you'll need to scrape the cooking surface clean and add a thin coat of oil (like I said, I do canola) to it with a paper towel.

There are a ton of videos on youtube on how to do it. I will say that it's not recommended to use bacon fat or any animal fat for the first seasoning. Season with oil first, then cook the bacon on it. That's what I did for my first cook.

Made ribs tonight. 1st rack regular, so mustard binder, all purpose seasoning then bbq rub. Wrapped with butter, brown sugar and bbq sauce. 2nd rack Korean bbq with some Japanese thrown in. Gochujang as the binder, then a rub, that I’ll send you the link to. Then wrapped with butter, brown sugar and the spicy Japanese bbq sauce.

So which one was better?
The Korean BBQ ones. The regular flavor is always good and I’ve got it down to an art almost at this point but those flavors of the Korean bbq were amazing. Little spice and a little sweet. I also have an affinity for the Gochugaru pepper. It has a great flavor without bringing to much heat.

Back