Trump 2024 Run Thread

So if he’s found guilty he’s still eligible to be elected, but as a felon he can’t vote for himself? Will his game plan be to delay the trial until after the election then either halt the trial or self pardon himself if he’s elected? I know little to nothing about trial law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donald Trump still headline act for Republicans, despite charges bbc

Former US President Donald Trump appeared defiant at two Republican Party conventions on Saturday, a day after he was charged with mishandling classified documents.
Mr Trump - who is running to be the Republican candidate for president in 2024 - claimed that he was being pursued in federal court because of his re-election hopes.
It was just a day after an indictment was unsealed revealing federal charges against Mr Trump, accusing him of mishandling classified documents including nuclear secrets.

But Mr Trump - who denies wrongdoing - was characteristically combative. He suggested nothing will stop him on his quest for the presidency. Not even, reportedly, jail.
I pointed out the photographs, printed as part of the justice department's case, that showed boxes of files piled up in a ballroom, even a bathroom, in Mr Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.
"Wait a minute," said Cheryal. "This is America. We're not guilty until we're proven guilty."
The two believe the system is riddled with double standards and said they would support Mr Trump, even if he was convicted.
If elected he could, suggested Cheryal, even pardon himself from prison.
Mr Trump did not spend his whole speech ridiculing the charges against him, far from it.
A long, winding address touched on everything from the cost of living to transgender people's participation in sport to trade with China and France.
At one point, Mr Trump mimicked French President Emmanuel Macron's accent.
It was notable that the first former president to ever face federal criminal charges did not spend the day holed up with his lawyers ahead of his first court appearance on Tuesday.
He spent it addressing the party faithful in Georgia and then here in Greensboro - loudly airing messages of defiance rather than privately preparing for court.
Mr Trump's legal battles have, in fact, become completely intertwined with his wider public presidential campaign.
The US could face an unprecedented strain on its political and judicial system should the two truly collide next year.

Donald Trump is 'toast' if indictment correct, William Barr says BBC

William Barr, the former US attorney general who served under Donald Trump, has said the ex-president is "toast" if allegations he mishandled classified documents are proven to be true.
Mr Barr criticised his former boss and said he had no right to keep the files allegedly found at his home.
Mr Trump will appear in court in Miami on Tuesday to face dozens of charges accusing him of illegally retaining classified information.
He has repeatedly denied wrongdoing.
Speaking to Fox News on Sunday, Mr Barr, who was Mr Trump's attorney general from February 2019 until December 2020, defended the 37-count indictment made public by Special Counsel Jack Smith on Friday.
"I was shocked by the degree of sensitivity of these documents and how many there were... and I think the counts under the Espionage Act that he wilfully retained those documents are solid counts," he said.

"If even half of it is true, then he's toast. It's a very detailed indictment and it's very damning," he added.

The 73-year-old was once one of Mr Trump's staunchest allies, but has been increasingly critical of him since leaving office. Shortly after he gave the interview, Mr Trump described him as a "'disgruntled former employee" and "lazy attorney general who was weak [and] totally ineffective".
Many prominent Republicans have been hesitant to criticise the former president, who is the frontrunner to be the party's presidential candidate in 2024, and have instead targeted the justice department and the broader investigation.
A poll released on Sunday by the BBC's US partner CBS found 76% of likely Republican primary voters were more concerned about the indictment being politically motivated than about the documents posing a national security risk.
(this is sooooooo alarming...honestly, how can people think this was not a grievous act?!)

I hope they put him in prison. They won't. I hope they put Joe in prison for the same crap. Again, they won't.

Trumpers have gone full on Scorched Earth calling for War

Trump Supporters’ Violent Rhetoric Explodes​

The federal indictment of former President Donald Trump has unleashed a wave of calls by his supporters for violence and an uprising to defend him, disturbing observers and raising concerns of a dangerous atmosphere before his court appearance in Miami on Tuesday.

In social media posts and public remarks, close allies of Trump — including a member of Congress — have portrayed the indictment as an act of war, called for retribution and highlighted the fact that much of his base carries weapons. The allies have painted Trump as a victim of a weaponized Justice Department controlled by President Joe Biden, his potential opponent in the 2024 election.

The calls to action and threats have been amplified on right-wing media sites and have been met by supportive responses from social media users and cheers from crowds, who have become conditioned over several years by Trump and his allies to see any efforts to hold him accountable as assaults against him.

Experts on political violence warn that attacks against people or institutions become more likely when elected officials or prominent media figures are able to issue threats or calls for violence with impunity. The pro-Trump mob that attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, was drawn to Washington in part by a post on Twitter from Trump weeks earlier, promising that it would be “wild.”

The former president alerted the public to the indictment Thursday evening in posts on his social media platform, attacking the Justice Department and calling the case “THE GREATEST WITCH HUNT OF ALL TIME.”

“Eye for an eye,” wrote Rep. Andy Biggs, R-Ariz., in a post on Twitter on Friday. His warning came shortly before the special counsel in the case, Jack Smith, spoke to the public for the first time since he took over the investigation of Trump’s retention of classified documents.

On Instagram, Trump’s eldest son’s fiancée, Kimberly Guilfoyle, posted a photo of the former president with the words, “Retribution Is Coming,” in all capital letters.

In Georgia, at the Republican state convention, Kari Lake, who refused to concede the Arizona election for governor in 2022 and who is an ardent defender of Trump, emphasized that many of Trump’s supporters owned guns.

“I have a message tonight for Merrick Garland and Jack Smith and Joe Biden — and the guys back there in the fake news media, you should listen up as well, this one is for you,” Lake said. “If you want to get to President Trump, you are going to have go through me, and you are going to have to go through 75 million Americans just like me. And I’m going to tell you, most of us are card-carrying members of the NRA.”

The crowd cheered.

Lake added: “That’s not a threat, that’s a public service announcement.”

Political violence experts say that even if aggressive language by high-profile individuals does not directly end in physical harm, it creates a dangerous atmosphere in which the idea of violence becomes more accepted, especially if such rhetoric is left unchecked.

“So far, the politicians who have used this rhetoric to inspire people to violence have not been held accountable,” said Mary McCord, a former senior Justice Department official who has studied the ties between extremist rhetoric and violence. “Until that happens, there’s little deterrent to using this type of language.”

The language used by some right-wing media figures was more stark.

On Pete Santilli’s talk show, the conservative provocateur declared that if he were the commandant of the Marine Corps, he would order “every single Marine” to grab Biden, “throw him in freakin’ zip ties in the back of a freakin’ pickup truck,” and “get him out of the White House.”

One of his guests, Lance Migliaccio, said that if it were legal and he had access, he would “probably walk in and shoot” Gen. Mark A. Milley, chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and someone Trump has identified as one of his enemies.

So far, the reactions from Trump’s supporters have been more intense and explicit than those expressed after Trump was indicted in a separate case by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg in late March.

Shortly before that indictment, Trump posted an article on Truth Social, his social media platform, that included a photo of himself holding a baseball bat on one side, and Bragg in an adjacent photo. Dueling crowds of pro-Trump and anti-Trump protesters appeared in lower Manhattan when Trump was arraigned there in April.

On Saturday, in his first public remarks since the latest indictment on seven charges related to the retention of classified documents and efforts to obstruct justice, Trump attacked those investigating him as engaged in “demented persecution.”

The FBI has been the target of much criticism from far-right Republican lawmakers and the former president’s supporters. In the wake of the heated partisanship, FBI field offices are reporting all threats related to their personnel or facilities to the Washington headquarters, in an unusual step. A law enforcement familiar with the move said the FBI was trying to get a handle on the number of threats around the country directed at the agency.

Despite whatever security precautions are taken for Trump’s appearance Tuesday, security experts said that the rhetoric and the threats from it were unlikely to subside and would likely become more pronounced as the case moves forward and the 2024 election nears.

“Rhetoric like this has consequences,” said Timothy J. Heaphy, the lead investigator for the select House committee that investigated the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol and Trump’s efforts to remain in the White House after his presidency. “People who we interviewed for the Jan. 6 investigation said they came to the Capitol because politicians and the president told them to be there. Politicians think that when they say things it’s just rhetoric, but people listen to it and take it seriously. In this climate politicians need to realize this and be more responsible.”

On Instagram on Saturday morning, Trump posted a mashup video of himself swinging a golf club on the course and an animation of a golf ball hitting Biden in the head, superimposed with footage of Biden falling at a public event in recent days after he tripped over something onstage.

It was hardly the first time that figures on the right have issued calls for war or violence to support the former president, or the first time that Trump has appeared to summon his supporters to amass on his behalf.

In the days leading up to the attack on the Capitol, the notion that a civil war was drawing near was prevalent in right-wing circles. Extremist leaders like Stewart Rhodes, the founder of the Oath Keepers militia, and Enrique Tarrio, chair of the Proud Boys, often rallied their groups with incendiary references to the cleansing violence of the American Revolution. Both men have been convicted of sedition in connection with the Capitol attack.

More broadly, on far-right websites, people shared tactics and techniques for attacking the building and discussed building gallows and trapping lawmakers in tunnels there.

The recent bout of warlike language coming in response to Trump’s indictment echoed what took place among Republican officials and media figures last summer after the FBI searched Mar-a-Lago, Trump’s private club and residence in Florida, as part of the documents investigation and hauled away about 100 classified records.

“This. Means. War,” The Gateway Pundit, a pro-Trump outlet, wrote at the time, setting the tone for others. Hours later, Joe Kent, a Trump-endorsed House candidate in Washington state, went on a podcast run by Stephen Bannon, Trump’s onetime political adviser, and declared, “This just shows everyone what many of us have been saying for a very long time. We’re at war.

Trump Lashes Out at ‘Nasty’ Pence in Bonkers Post-Indictment Speech​

“Everytime I fly over a blue state, I get a subpoena,” Trump joked. “We want him before the grand jury!”

He did not skip a beat in calling the indictment “fake” and “a political hit job,” describing the Espionage Act—one of the feds’ seven accused violations—as something that “sounds terrible” because “I’ve got a box.” As for Jack Smith, the special counsel behind the indictment, Trump labeled him “deranged” and “a thug who is in charge.”

“I was impressed. It looked so orderly and nice,” Trump said, referring to the stacks of boxes found all over his estate. “Somehow somebody turned over one of the boxes. Did you see that? I wonder who did that, did the FBI do that? Because they also did something where they put documents all over the floors and they took pictures. And they tried to pretend like I did it.”

Trump described the district attorney presiding over the case, Fanni Willis, as “a lunatic Marxist” who is “coming after me over a perfect phone call.”

“I had every right to complain that the election in Georgia was in my opinion rigged, that the election in Georgia was a disaster,” Trump declared as the crowd let out claps and cheers.

The election ramble ended when he summoned Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene to the stage, calling her “a warrior” and “beautiful” before she gave brief fawning remarks about the 2024 Republican top-runner.

He also took a few swipes at his GOP opponents Ron DeSantis and Mike Pence. “These are sick, sick, sinister people,” Trump said of his foes. “No wonder the swamp is getting truly desperate.”

“Pence has gone down [in the polls], … sadly, because he’s a nice person, he’s trying to get nasty though so we may have to fight a different way,” Trump said of his former vice president. “All of a sudden he got a little bit nasty, Mike.”

After hopping through every cultural flashpoint possible, from “illegal aliens” to “transgender insanity” to “concealed carry,” Trump ended his speech on a bizarre and far from inspirational remark.

“Everybody’s being murdered and beat up and mugged. We’re not going to let it happen. Thank you very much everybody, it’s a great honor to be here,” he concluded.

Back