Trans lawmaker Zooey Zephyr returns to work — in the hallway — after Montana GOP discipline

Polds4OSU

Sheriff
Patreon Supporter

Now they are trying to have them removed from the Public Spaces in the Capitol as well.

Montana state Rep. Zooey Zephyr returned to work Thursday, one day after Republicans banned the transgender legislator from entering the legislative chamber for the remainder of the session as punishment for a protest.

Zephyr posted a photo to Twitter of her sitting outside the chamber with a laptop and notepads, working remotely. The Montana Legislature voted Wednesday along party lines to discipline Zephyr for raising her microphone to a crowd of protesters supporting her efforts against anti-trans legislation.

According to Montana Public Radio reporter Shaylee Ragar, House Speaker Matt Regier told Zephyr she should be sitting in the Democratic offices around the corner. However, the measure passed by the GOP only barred her from the chamber and gallery and did not explicitly ban her from the hallways in Helena, the state capital. The legislative session runs until May 10. The freshman Democrat, who represents the college town of Missoula, said she wanted to be as close to her desk as possible.

“Though they initially tried to have me removed from the public seating area, I am here working on behalf of my constituents as best I can given the undemocratic circumstances,” wrote Zephyr. “I'm talking to legislators, listening to debate, voting on bills, and fighting for democracy.”

Now they are trying to have them removed from the Public Spaces in the Capitol as well.

Montana state Rep. Zooey Zephyr returned to work Thursday, one day after Republicans banned the transgender legislator from entering the legislative chamber for the remainder of the session as punishment for a protest.

Zephyr posted a photo to Twitter of her sitting outside the chamber with a laptop and notepads, working remotely. The Montana Legislature voted Wednesday along party lines to discipline Zephyr for raising her microphone to a crowd of protesters supporting her efforts against anti-trans legislation.

According to Montana Public Radio reporter Shaylee Ragar, House Speaker Matt Regier told Zephyr she should be sitting in the Democratic offices around the corner. However, the measure passed by the GOP only barred her from the chamber and gallery and did not explicitly ban her from the hallways in Helena, the state capital. The legislative session runs until May 10. The freshman Democrat, who represents the college town of Missoula, said she wanted to be as close to her desk as possible.

“Though they initially tried to have me removed from the public seating area, I am here working on behalf of my constituents as best I can given the undemocratic circumstances,” wrote Zephyr. “I'm talking to legislators, listening to debate, voting on bills, and fighting for democracy.”
Man the GOP keeps shooting themselves in the foot. Here and in Tenessee if they had just let the person speak then just do what they wanted to do anyways no one would know who these people are outside of their constituency. Now, because the people in charge had a power trip they are national names. Crazy.

Man the GOP keeps shooting themselves in the foot. Here and in Tenessee if they had just let the person speak then just do what they wanted to do anyways no one would know who these people are outside of their constituency. Now, because the people in charge had a power trip they are national names. Crazy.
They did let this lawmaker speak. They got angry when the Law Maker told them they had blood on their hands due to anti trans policy. That is when the GOP became angry and stopped them from speaking, then a protest broke out and the lawmaker stood on the floor with the mike over their head and encouraged the Citizens in the Gallery to continue to protest as they chanted "Let Her Speak". They then ended up having police come in in riot gear to clean out the Gallery and 7 people were arrested. Same thing happened the next day etc.

The Trans rep who told them they had blood on their hands due to their policy was not allowed to tell WHY they said that. They said that because they were contacted by a family member of a trans teen who had tried to commit suicide while the Legislature was in session talking about these Policies and they tried to kill themselves specifically because of the Policies the GOP were trying to pass in the state.

They censured the Rep and removed their access to speak (which they complied with) and when protest continued day after day, they decided to boot the Trans Lawmaker from the floor all together and informed them they could only do remote work and were not allowed back in the Chamber....so they showed up in the hallway yesterday and started working remotly in public spaces at the Capitol.

Now the GOP are trying to have the Law Maker removed from all the Public Spaces at the Capitol as well.

Fight strongly worded free speech with strongly worded speech of your own. That is what the Republicans should have done in response to her. Responding by getting rid of her just makes Republicans look worse than what she said against them.

Back