Republican infighting

I will give him this. The argument started from the GOP has been killed by Trump et al. He stated not yet and then listed off the representation they maintain at state and federal level. Proof they aren't dead YET. Along with that, he stated that polls show Republicans are more trusted with economy - expected to be a big driver in the election cycle - to further show not dead yet.

That being said, I agree poll results saying people feel one way or another desn't equate to how performance has traditionally worked out. GOP at this point shpuld be expected to cut taxes on wealthy, and they try to offset those losses by cutting support programs for the poor. Democrats will raise taxes on wealthy, cut them on poor, and increase gov spending (partially as aid for poor) to drive economic growth.
The Republican Party as it was known has been destroyed. Any good policies they had have been destroyed.

The Republican Party as it was known has been destroyed. Any good policies they had have been destroyed.
The republican party as it was known 10 years ago is destroyed. The republican party as it existed 2 years ago remains. Im hoping the party as it is now dies very soon, but it remains in control of much too much of the country to be called dead right now. It's just not what it used to be and not what anyone over 30 thinks of when they think of the party.

The republican party as it was known 10 years ago is destroyed. The republican party as it existed 2 years ago remains. Im hoping the party as it is now dies very soon, but it remains in control of much too much of the country to be called dead right now. It's just not what it used to be and not what anyone over 30 thinks of when they think of the party.
The Republican Party is now owned by Trump….both literally and figuratively.

As goes Trump, so goes the party.

It’s that simple, really.

Reddest states....dumb liberal Republicans...... Oklahoma he is talking about you...no redder state in the Union
1000001571.png

That’s not a quantifiable observation of the economy. That’s someone’s pull it out of your butt opinion.
Two independent polls by NBC News and by Gallup, that both show statistically significant advantages for the GOP, are not a quantifiable observation of how voters view who they trust more with the economy???

The point was about the Republican Party being destroyed. If you want to make a point that Trump is causing harm to GOP, you have no argument from me. But they are in pretty good shape.
The top two issues for voters are immigration and the economy. And according to Vox, those two issues are growing in importance with voters. YOU may not agree, but American voters currently side strongly with the GOP on those two issues. If that continues, and that is a big if, then the GOP may have an enjoyable November.

If they are a destroyed party, they are in pretty good shape with leadership seats and voter sentiment towards parties.
* They control 23 states verses 16 for Dem. (For comparison, in Obama’s 1st year they only controlled 9)
* They have the most Governors (For comparison, in Obama’s first year they only had 22)
* GOP is attracting more voters: Dems enjoyed a 5%advantage of partisan identification 5 years ago..now it is 49% Dems to 48% GOP (pew research from last week).

Last edited:

House Republican Is Over Marjorie Taylor Greene’s Antics: ‘Has to Come to an End’​

Rep. Marc Molinaro (R-NY) has had it with Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) and the turmoil she has wrought in the House of Representatives.

Last month, Greene filed a motion to vacate the chair, thus putting Speaker Mike Johnson’s (R-LA) job at risk. The congresswoman slammed Johnson’s decision on Wednesday to hold a vote on aid to Ukraine, which Greene has opposed.

“I don’t know how long people are going to tolerate this because he’s doing nothing but serving the Democrats,” she told CNN. Greene seems poised to press the issue and force a vote of the full House on Johnson’s speakership.

Hours later, Molinaro joined CNN’s The Source, with guest host John King, who noted that Molinaro narrowly won his election last year in a district President Joe Biden carried by five points.

Molinaro said he does not cast votes based on election margins before noting the divided nature of the government.

“We have a bipartisan government, and the only way good policy is gonna be made better, the only way we’re gonna stand shoulder to shoulder with our allies – Israel and Ukraine – the only way we push back against evil like Putin, is to do it in a bipartisan way,” Molinaro stated. “And I want to be judged by my ability and willingness to work across the aisle with anyone who’s honest and earnest about solving the problems that face America and the people I serve.”

The response prompted King to ask about one of Molinaro’s fellow Republicans:

KING: Is Marjorie Taylor Greene honest in earnest?
MOLINARO: Her theater and this constant effort to hold the Congress hostage has to come to an end. I’m gonna have no part in it. And a good number of my colleagues – conservative and moderate – believe that enough is enough. It is time to move on and to move past this kind of nonsense.

Two independent polls by NBC News and by Gallup, that both show statistically significant advantages for the GOP, are not a quantifiable observation of how voters view who they trust more with the economy???

The point was about the Republican Party being destroyed. If you want to make a point that Trump is causing harm to GOP, you have no argument from me. But they are in pretty good shape.
The top two issues for voters are immigration and the economy. And according to Vox, those two issues are growing in importance with voters. YOU may not agree, but American voters currently side strongly with the GOP on those two issues. If that continues, and that is a big if, then the GOP may have an enjoyable November.

If they are a destroyed party, they are in pretty good shape with leadership seats and voter sentiment towards parties.
* They control 23 states verses 16 for Dem. (For comparison, in Obama’s 1st year they only controlled 9)
* They have the most Governors (For comparison, in Obama’s first year they only had 22)
* GOP is attracting more voters: Dems enjoyed a 5%advantage of partisan identification 5 years ago..now it is 49% Dems to 48% GOP (pew research from last week).
Maybe your intent in your original post was to only claim that polls favor Rs in handling the economy but I read it as your belief that Rs are stronger in the actual handling of the economy.

In terms of quantifiables it is highly debatable that the GOP is stronger on the economy.

Polling is going to continue to skew towards Rs bc of demographics.

Youngs don’t typically have landlines which will skew poll demos. And how many people age 18-35 actually answer their cell when an unknown number pops up? I’ve got 14 in my family that fit that demo and not a one answers the cell when an unknown # calls.

'Not particularly intelligent': Gaetz bashes GOP colleague over motion to vacate Johnson

House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-Lousiana) is facing a growing revolt among a faction of far-right Republicans who may soon bring a motion to vacate him to the floor. And the Republican responsible for the ouster of Johnson's predecessor has not yet said which way he is leaning.

During a gaggle with reporters on Thursday, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Florida) expressed his frustration with Johnson over the issue of sending a new round of funding to Ukraine, which has caused a massive rift among members of the House Republican Conference. Gaetz told CNN congressional reporter Manu Raju that he had a confrontation with Rep. Derrick Van Orden (R-Wisconsin), who reportedly demanded the motion be introduced in a way Gaetz described as "unhinged."

"[Van Orden] repeatedly was insisting that we call a motion to vacate to the floor. He was demanding it," Gaetz said. "The only thing I gleaned from it as that Mr. Van Orden is not a particularly intelligent individual."

Gaetz clarified that he thought bringing a motion to vacate Johnson "could put the [Republican] Conference in peril," and that he wasn't personally in favor of removing Johnson "when [he] woke up this morning" but added that "there's a lot of time left in the day." He noted that Johnson "views the Ukraine issue differently than we do," in reference to his fellow hard-right GOP colleagues.

Johnson's plans to vote on separate foreign aid bills to send additional money to Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan depends on a controversial rule change. Gaetz and his faction are concerned the change would make it harder for members to bring a motion to vacate a sitting House speaker, and said he didn't want to he didn't want to "surrender that accountability tool, particularly at a time when we're seeing America's interests subjugated to foreign interests abroad."

Other House Republicans were more candid about the effort to oust Johnson. Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-Texas) told Raju that in his opinion, his colleagues "want Russia to win so badly that they want to oust the speaker over it."

"I mean that's a strange position to take," Crenshaw said. "I think they want to be in the minority too... I'm still trying to process all the bulls—."

Currently, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Georgia) and Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Kentucky) have publicly vowed to vote for Johnson's ouster. And given Republicans' slim majority, a handful of Republicans could strip the gavel from Johnson assuming all Democrats also vote to remove him.

"Mike Johnson owes our entire conference a meeting, and if he wants to change the motion to vacate, he needs to come before the Republican conference that elected him and tell us of his intentions, and tell us what this rule change to the motion to vacate is going to be," Greene said.

Johnson has only been speaker for roughly six months, after former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-California) became the first House Speaker in U.S. history to be removed from his position via a motion to vacate filed by members of his own party. Gaetz and seven other Republicans — along with all Democrats — forced McCarthy after he brokered a deal to keep the U.S. current on its debt service obligations.

The House is likely to vote for the foreign aid legislation on Saturday. Greene has said she would introduce the motion to vacate if Johnson passed Ukraine aid without also passing funding for additional border security measures.

Third GOP lawmaker says he will support effort to oust Mike Johnson from speakership

WASHINGTON – A third House Republican is supporting an effort to oust House Speaker Mike Johnson from his post in a sign of growing momentum against the speaker for advancing a foreign aid spending plan.

Rep. Paul Gosar, R-Ariz., a hard-right lawmaker, announced on Friday that he would be co-sponsoring conservative rabble-rouser Rep. Marjorie Greene.

Gosar’s announcement came shortly after the House voted on a bipartisan basis to advance the process for a set of foreign aid bills providing funds for Ukraine, Israel and the Indo-Pacific region. A number of ultraconservative lawmakers have railed against Johnson for not tying strict GOP-backed border and immigration policy changes to foreign aid.

“I have added my name in support of the motion to vacate the Speaker. Our border cannot be an afterthought,” Gosar said in a statement. “We need a Speaker who puts America first rather than bending to the reckless demands of the warmongers, neo-cons and the military industrial complex making billions from a costly and endless war half a world away.”

Gosar joins Greene along with Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., in the push to topple the speaker. Massie has urged Johnson to resign in the face of the removal threat, claiming that there are several other Republicans willing to oust the speaker if a vote is called on the floor.

Rep. Eli Crane, R-Ariz., told reporters on Friday he was open to supporting a motion to vacate as well, saying he senses "there's a souring to Republican leadership" and "that the speaker should take that seriously."

Greene at a moment's notice can call up a vote to remove Johnson by noticing her motion to vacate as "privileged," a procedure that forces the House to consider her resolution within two legislative days. She has promised she'll make that move but so far has declined to offer a timeline.

The House is scheduled to begin a week-long recess after lawmakers leave Washington on Saturday

Democrats have signaled they are willing to rescue Johnson from a conservative rebellion for advancing foreign aid but several Republicans have doubts about the sustainability of Johnson surviving with Democratic support.

Talk about bad theater, didn’t Langford have a bipartisan bill better than this ? This is just bad actors high jacking the border as per Trump’s orders, and playing games with our national security for fear Brandon might get credit. My question is, when will Trump’s trials cost him tangible betrayals in the party? Let’s go Rebumplicans.

Last edited:
Marjorie Taylor Greene: Voters are done with the Republican Party. Voters are so angry this time that I’m really worried they aren’t going to give Republicans the majority in 2025

Republican Infighting Is Getting Uglier

Infighting in the Republican Party has increased in recent months due to divisions over foreign aid and Mike Johnson's speakership.

On Saturday, after months of wrangling, lawmakers passed the $95 billion package that will provide military aid to Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan.

In total, 210 Democrats and 101 Republicans voted in favor of the Ukraine aid bill, while 112 Republicans voted against it. Some hard-right Republicans argued that Congress should instead focus on increased security at the U.S.-Mexico border.

The vote came as a large number of Republicans, including outspoken Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, have been vocal in their opposition to sending further aid to Ukraine. Last month, Greene introduced a motion to vacate GOP Speaker Mike Johnson, criticizing a $1.2 trillion spending bill to fund government agencies.

Passing the bill on Saturday did nothing to quell dissent.

On Sunday, Texas Republican Rep. Tony Gonzales described some of his colleagues who voted against the series of foreign aid bills as "scumbags."

"I serve with some real scumbags," he said on CNN's State of the Union.

Another clash emerged over the motion to oust Johnson as Speaker. Wisconsin Rep. Derrick Van Orden told Axios he called Gaetz "tubby" on the House floor on Thursday after Gaetz called him "squish"—a term used to refer to moderates who sometimes vote with Democrats.

Van Orden told CNN reporter Manu Raju: "Matt Gaetz is a bully. Chip Roy is a bully. Bob Good's a bully. And the only way to stop a bully is to push back hard."

Gaetz also told Raju that Van Orden was not "a particularly intelligent individual."

Todd Landman, a professor of political science at the School of Politics and International Relations at the University of Nottingham in the U.K., told Newsweek that "division" in the party is "getting worse not better" because of the aid bill.

He said: "The roots of discord in the GOP for me lie in the period during which John Boehner was Speaker, who resigned in 2015. Kevin McCarthy at that time was a possible candidate but the Freedom Caucus opposed his candidature, where Paul Ryan became Speaker. After Nancy Pelosi's term, Kevin McCarthy ran a fraught effort to ascend to the speakership, only to be vacated by a push from the Freedom Caucus led by Matt Gaetz. Mike Johnson finally emerged after another long and arduous process of selection, but is now the focus of another ouster, primarily led by Marjorie Taylor Greene from Georgia.

"The passage of the aid to Ukraine, Tawain, and Israel has not helped Johnson, nor has his recent visit to Mr. Trump in Mar a Lago, where his success in getting the aid bill passed is perceived by the Freedom Caucus as unacceptable, while the absence of tougher measures for the US border has increased the tension and vitriol. McCarthy launched a veiled attack against Gaetz at a recent talk at Georgetown University, which a further sign further discord in the party. The fallout from the aid vote has sowed more division in the party, which appears to be getting worse not better."

Meanwhile, Thomas Whalen, an associate professor who teaches U.S. politics at Boston University, told Newsweek Johnson was "presiding over the rubble" of the GOP.

"What Republican Party? As one of its founders once famously said, a house divided against itself cannot stand. Mike Johnson is just presiding over the rubble. And Democrats are smiling ear to ear looking toward November."

Steve Bannon Slams 'Poisonous Serpent' (Lindsey Graham) Close to Donald Trump

Top Donald Trump ally Steve Bannon has lashed out at South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham for condemning his Republican colleagues for opposing foreign aid bills.

Bannon, a former White House chief strategist, accused Graham of being a "poisonous serpent" after he criticized Ohio Senator J.D. Vance for speaking out against plans to provide billions to Ukraine amid its fight against Russia.

Graham's comments to Fox News about Vance arrived one day after the House passed a $61 billion aid package on Saturday, as well as other bills in support of Israel and Taiwan.
House Speaker Mike Johnson has faced outcry from hardline and MAGA Republicans for trying to pass the President Joe Biden-supported foreign aid bills through the lower chamber, with Georgia Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene and Kentucky Representative Thomas Massie warning they would introduce a motion to vacate against Johnson.

While sharing Graham's comments on Vance on conservative social media platform Gettr, Bannon said: "Lindsey Graham is a Poisonous Serpent That is Allowed to Get Near President Trump Spreading His Poison by Operatives Who are NOT America First."

Graham has endorsed Trump in the 2024 election, but the pair have had a sometimes-volatile relationship over the years. Recently, they have clashed over abortion, with the former president recently hitting out at the senator's "unrelenting" calls for stricter abortion limitations, which Trump suggests are hurting the GOP's chances in elections.
Speaking to Fox News on Sunday, Graham discussed a recent opinion piece Vance wrote for The New York Times in which the Ohio senator claimed the money Congress was proposing to send to Ukraine is "a fraction of what it would take to turn the tide" in Ukraine's favor amid its 2-year-old war with Russia.

"Ukraine's challenge is not the G.O.P.; it's math. Ukraine needs more soldiers than it can field, even with draconian conscription policies," Vance wrote. "And it needs more matériel than the United States can provide."

Graham said on Fox News that "if you want American military members to stay out of the fight with Russia, help Ukraine. If they go into a NATO nation, Russia, we're in a fight.
"So, with all due respect to Senator Vance, he's wrong. We were told, within four days, Kyiv would fall," Graham added. "He's wrong about the whole concept that we can deal with multiple problems. This idea that we can't help Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan at the same time, I reject that. I reject it totally."

Newsweek contacted Graham's and Vance's offices via email for comment.
Graham also suggested that Vance join him on an upcoming trip to the region.

"It's one thing to talk about Ukraine over here," Graham said. "It's another thing to go. I challenged JD Vance to go to Ukraine and get a briefing from the Ukrainian military and talk to the Ukrainian people. Then tell me what you think."
Graham also claimed that the foreign aid packages to Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan "would not have passed" without Trump.
"I want to thank the House Speaker [Mike Johnson] and [Minority Leader] Hakeem Jeffries working together in a bipartisan fashion to give weapons to Ukraine to fight a fight that matters to us," Graham said.
"And President Trump has created a loan component to this package that gives us leverage down the road."

Back