Question about rules re: Gundy

broncopoke

First of all congrats and thank you to whomever cowboyed up and created this site, as we've all been missing a social connection within our fanbase since OP bit the dust. I want to proactively address the big issue with OP, which was always Gundy. Anyone who said anything bad about Gundy would get a one-week ban or worse. In fact I'm not even sure that OP really crashed and didn't just ban everyone with how that season ended.

I frankly don't see how you can even have an OSU discussion board without allowing people to speak their mind about Gundy, even if that changes over time, and even if that's negative. It's the elephant in the room. Before I support this site with a donation I want to know whether people can speak their mind, or if we're doomed to try and police the elephant in the room at all times.

It's a double-edged sword because you want to give people an outlet, but at the same time we don't want to embarrass the entire OSU community. I strongly believe you have to let people speak their mind, and people have to be respectful (the Gundy lovers especially struggle with that) and police themselves in terms of eventually moving on from a topic. That's my two cents at least, and what I hope to support. I think certain factions of our fanbase prefer the head in the sand approach and just being grateful that we even field a team or whatever. I'm not here for that.

Edit: I'd like to ask that people not use this thread to debate Gundy, but rather keep it to the rules regarding bringing him up.

First of all congrats and thank you to whomever cowboyed up and created this site, as we've all been missing a social connection within our fanbase since OP bit the dust. I want to proactively address the big issue with OP, which was always Gundy. Anyone who said anything bad about Gundy would get a one-week ban or worse. In fact I'm not even sure that OP really crashed and didn't just ban everyone with how that season ended.

I frankly don't see how you can even have an OSU discussion board without allowing people to speak their mind about Gundy, even if that changes over time, and even if that's negative. It's the elephant in the room. Before I support this site with a donation I want to know whether people can speak their mind, or if we're doomed to try and police the elephant in the room at all times.

It's a double-edged sword because you want to give people an outlet, but at the same time we don't want to embarrass the entire OSU community. I strongly believe you have to let people speak their mind, and people have to be respectful (the Gundy lovers especially struggle with that) and police themselves in terms of eventually moving on from a topic. That's my two cents at least, and what I hope to support. I think certain factions of our fanbase prefer the head in the sand approach and just being grateful that we even field a team or whatever. I'm not here for that.

Edit: I'd like to ask that people not use this thread to debate Gundy, but rather keep it to the rules regarding bringing him up.
Hi! Thanks for stopping by the site. A few thoughts on your questions:
Sports forums are for discourse and without difference in opinion, there wouldn't be a ton to talk about. Criticism of Gundy is fine, but it needs to be respectful. In the past, some posters on OP.com went to far and got very personal about their criticism of Gundy. Its a bad look and doesn't represent the university well. That is what earned them the ban, not that they were critical of Gundy in the first place. So in a nutshell criticism of Gundy is fine, but these boards will be moderated in a similar manner as OP.com was.

I consider a good standard for online behavior to be don’t say something with digital anonymity that you wouldn’t say at a tailgate.
That standard could get one banned. I had several folks at the tailgate that almost melted my pickup tail gate with their Gundy hate.

Hi! Thanks for stopping by the site. A few thoughts on your questions:
Sports forums are for discourse and without difference in opinion, there wouldn't be a ton to talk about. Criticism of Gundy is fine, but it needs to be respectful. In the past, some posters on OP.com went to far and got very personal about their criticism of Gundy. Its a bad look and doesn't represent the university well. That is what earned them the ban, not that they were critical of Gundy in the first place. So in a nutshell criticism of Gundy is fine, but these boards will be moderated in a similar manner as OP.com was.

I actually disagree that OP banned people only for "getting very personal about their criticism of Gundy," and it was in fact generally anything substantially negative. OP banned individuals for questioning Gundy's hiring decisions, retention decisions, QB/playtime decisions, playcalling decisions, etc.

I've never had a personal issue with The Man ever, and I think personally, I'd only have good things to say about Gundy. However as a matter of business, I've suspended my donations to the university until they are no longer paying him over $1MM per win. I used to donate several thousand a year to the university, but there are better places to donate than a university who is overpaying for a redneck cultural icon who can't effectively coach. OSU is going to lose at least $10MM in revenue next year based on Gundy's shenanigans, but thank goodness nobody in getting "coddled" (except for the head coach himself). As a matter of business, it's that simple for me, and I'm not going to waste my time on platforms that would do anything to prevent me from expressing this view.

It sounds like this board will be more propagandists, browncoats, and Gundy lovers, but I hope I'm wrong. Have fun and Go Pokes y'all.

Last edited:
I actually disagree that OP banned people only for "getting very personal about their criticism of Gundy," and it was in fact generally anything substantially negative. OP banned individuals for questioning Gundy's hiring decisions, retention decisions, QB/playtime decisions, playcalling decisions, etc.

I've never had a personal issue with The Man ever, and I think personally, I'd only have good things to say about Gundy. However as a matter of business, I've suspended my donations to the university until they are no longer paying him over $1MM per win. I used to donate several thousand a year to the university, but there are better places to donate than a university who is overpaying for a redneck cultural icon who can't effectively coach. OSU is going to lose at least $10MM in revenue next year based on Gundy's shenanigans, but thank goodness nobody in getting "coddled" (except for the head coach himself). As a matter of business, it's that simple for me, and I'm not going to waste my time on platforms that would do anything to prevent me from expressing this view.

It sounds like this board will be more propagandists, browncoats, and Gundy lovers, so I'll take a pass. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm sensitive to what OP did. Have fun and Go Pokes y'all.
Where are you getting the 10MM loss from? And what criteria are you using to determine who is to blame?

You can always donate to the Academic side of the University.

why don't you sack up and go ahead and rip him and find out?

I'm sure as of this moment he has put Coach Gundy on

animal house dean GIF

Reactions: cro
Gundy isn’t a bad coach. His issue is more a question of Ego and Hubris.

I digress that last season was a combination of injuries and loss of player commitment to the new NIL of college football.

However, I think some seasons gundy is stubborn and refuses to make changes or does so when it’s too late.

He finds great coaches and knows how to develop recruits. My biggest issue with him
Is in game time management, lack of creativity in his offense, and his stubbornness in recruiting in that he doesn’t seek players outside of Texas and Oklahoma. He is also too loyal to coaches at time like our oline coach who I am not convinced is worth a hoot.

What does this even mean? Why would I unnecessarily attack him (I assume, Gundy) just to fulfill your perception of "Gundy bashers."

I like to think my criticism of Gundy is specific and purposeful. It seems like most of the Gundy lovers decide "their side" first and the facts second, which is the opposite of rational observation (just an observation, though).

Where are you getting the 10MM loss from? And what criteria are you using to determine who is to blame?

You can always donate to the Academic side of the University.

The athletic side should be strong enough to support the academic side, and the fact that it's not, points to mismanagement.

I really just wanted to use this thread to ask what the leash is on the subject, and it sounds like it will be the same as OP, which used to ban anyone who negatively brought Gundy up. That's a fact, and no their bans were not just reserved for personal attacks. It was pretty ticky tacky until the end, when they lost control over the subject. They were still banning anyone who said anything negative about Gundy in early 2021 (after nearly losing to MOST, Tulsa, and Boise).

Last edited:
What does this even mean? Why would I unnecessarily attack him (I assume, Gundy) just to fulfill your perception of "Gundy bashers."

I like to think my criticism of Gundy is specific and purposeful. It seems like most of the Gundy lovers decide "their side" first and the facts second, which is the opposite of rational observation (just an observation, though).

The athletic side should be strong enough to support the academic side, and the fact that it's not, points to mismanagement.

I really just wanted to use this thread to ask what the leash is on the subject, and it sounds like it will be the same as OP, which used to ban anyone who negatively brought Gundy up. That's a fact, and no their bans were not just reserved for personal attacks. It was pretty ticky tacky until the end, when they lost control over the subject. They were still banning anyone who said anything negative about Gundy in early 2021 (after nearly losing to MOST, Tulsa, and Boise).
This is getting irrational

Athletics and Academics are separate budgets.

It sounds like this board will be more propagandists, browncoats, and Gundy lovers, but I hope I'm wrong. Have fun and Go Pokes y'all.
Goodbye GIF

Back