Pork butt

cowboyinexile

Deputy
Patreon Supporter
What is the proper way to cook it?

I like that type of roast rare so I season and oven roast to an internal temp of 125-130. I like the flavor of the rare meat but the cut isn't tender.

Doing it the crock pot with veggies works because you get tender meat with potatoes corn and carrots that are soaking in pork fat but its dry meat.

I've heard smoking works well for pork butt but even with a pellet grill that's a long cook that makes a less better dinner than the last 2 because for that dedication you should have bought ribs.

So what is the proper way to make this rough yet huge and sometimes cheap cut of meat?

What is the proper way to cook it?

I like that type of roast rare so I season and oven roast to an internal temp of 125-130. I like the flavor of the rare meat but the cut isn't tender.

Doing it the crock pot with veggies works because you get tender meat with potatoes corn and carrots that are soaking in pork fat but its dry meat.

I've heard smoking works well for pork butt but even with a pellet grill that's a long cook that makes a less better dinner than the last 2 because for that dedication you should have bought ribs.

So what is the proper way to make this rough yet huge and sometimes cheap cut of meat?
smoker at 225. 200 degrees internal temp. Nothing less or its gross. It won't pull.

First coat the meat in mustard. Then cover that in your favorite seasoning. Head country, big moe cason etc. Smoke. Be ready for it to take up to 20 hours.

smoker at 225. 200 degrees internal temp. Nothing less or its gross. It won't pull.

First coat the meat in mustard. Then cover that in your favorite seasoning. Head country, big moe cason etc. Smoke. Be ready for it to take up to 20 hours.
This right here. Yes, it will take up to an hour and a half per pound but well worth it. Most butts are around 8 lbs so plan on 12-13 hours of smoking. Refilling the hopper about 2-3 times is no big deal.

I'll add to @Duke Silver's comments above. I pull mine at 200 internal and then double wrap in foil, then double wrap in old towels and drop into a small cooler. Even after 4 hours of resting it can still be steaming hot when you pull it. This is how I prepare mine and just make sure it's done 2-4 hours before the event.

This right here. Yes, it will take up to an hour and a half per pound but well worth it. Most butts are around 8 lbs so plan on 12-13 hours of smoking. Refilling the hopper about 2-3 times is no big deal.

I'll add to @Duke Silver's comments above. I pull mine at 200 internal and then double wrap in foil, then double wrap in old towels and drop into a small cooler. Even after 4 hours of resting it can still be steaming hot when you pull it. This is how I prepare mine and just make sure it's done 2-4 hours before the event.
To add 1 more, it makes a lot. You can freeze it. Then to reheat it use a casserole dish or aluminum pan and fill the bottom with apple juice and put it on the smoker turning it every 15-20 minutes.

You
To add 1 more, it makes a lot. You can freeze it. Then to reheat it use a casserole dish or aluminum pan and fill the bottom with apple juice and put it on the smoker turning it every 15-20 minutes.
Can also throw it in a sauté pan and if you like BBQ sauce add some right before to caramelize the sauce a little. It goes great on a Baked Potato.

I've switched to smoking up to around 160-165 then pulling it off the smoker, wrapping and finishing in the oven. I can't tell a difference between that and doing the whole thing in the smoker other than shaving off several hours.

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker and I've had 8 lb butts go up to 18 hours until done. Got sick of that so I started finishing in the oven. When I pull off smoker, I wrap in butcher paper and put in the oven set on 250. Takes usually a total of 11 hours all together doing this method. So I save 6 to 7 hours. Taste is the same, tenderness is the same.

I've switched to smoking up to around 160-165 then pulling it off the smoker, wrapping and finishing in the oven. I can't tell a difference between that and doing the whole thing in the smoker other than shaving off several hours.

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker and I've had 8 lb butts go up to 18 hours until done. Got sick of that so I started finishing in the oven. When I pull off smoker, I wrap in butcher paper and put in the oven set on 250. Takes usually a total of 11 hours all together doing this method. So I save 6 to 7 hours. Taste is the same, tenderness is the same.
Once it’s wrapped the smoker just becomes an oven so switching to the oven should be no issue. I’ve had amasterbuilt electric smoker and two different pellet smokers. The longest I have ever had a brisket or butt go is like 10 hours. I’m to ADD to go to a stick burner.

Once it’s wrapped the smoker just becomes an oven so switching to the oven should be no issue. I’ve had amasterbuilt electric smoker and two different pellet smokers. The longest I have ever had a brisket or butt go is like 10 hours. I’m to ADD to go to a stick burner.
Once it hits the stall in my Smokey Mountain, it just lingers there for hours. I think once I got one finished in 15 hours and that was the quickest I've done fully on the smoker. I've had people tell me it's cheating to finish in the oven. LOL. First of all, I'm cooking for my family not a competition and secondly, like you said, once you hit the wrapping stage, you are only using a smoker for a heat source.

Have your market cut it into 1.5” shoulder steaks. Hot and fast on charcoal or your preferred grill to 145 internal. Season to your liking.

Have your market cut it into 1.5” shoulder steaks. Hot and fast on charcoal or your preferred grill to 145 internal. Season to your liking.
I'll have to try that. I do most of my grilling on a Weber Kettle. Would be perfect for that. This is my back porch set up. I'm kind of a Weber guy. I haven't touched that gas grill in 2 years though.

328594111_557261863121706_1787983120624374220_n.jpg

I do Whataburger mustard, some kind of seasoning (I haven't found a go-to seasoning yet so I just try different ones) and then inject part of a can of Dr Pepper. An hour or two at 180 (lowest my pellet smoker goes) then bump it to 225 for the night. My Recteq has a 40lb hopper so I don't have to worry about running out overnight. I let it ride through the stall until probably tender (usually around 196 for me) and then wrap in butcher paper, wrap in a beach towel and then stick it in a cooler. My cooks usually go about 16-17hrs.

This is my favorite way to cook it (recipe below). I just do one final thing that really takes it over the top. I take the canned peaches that are left after using the juice for injection and heat them up in a BBQ sauce. Then once they are softened up I put that in a blender. It turns it into the consistency of baby food. Slather that on the pulled pork and its heaven.

This is my favorite way to cook it (recipe below). I just do one final thing that really takes it over the top. I take the canned peaches that are left after using the juice for injection and heat them up in a BBQ sauce. Then once they are softened up I put that in a blender. It turns it into the consistency of baby food. Slather that on the pulled pork and its heaven.

Try apricots.

Back