Police question

gopokes83

Didn’t see anywhere else to ask this. My wife’s go to on Friday and Saturday night is On Patrol Live. Say a guy gets pulled over for running a stop sign or no brake lights, etc. and there’s someone in the passenger seat. The police always ask the passenger for their ID and sometimes have them get out and are frisked and sometimes even handcuffed and made to sit on the curb while they search the car, and the passenger gets in real trouble if they don’t give up their ID. What’s the story with that? The passenger wasn’t driving, and no crime’s been committed except a traffic violation that they weren’t responsible for. . What reason or right do the police have to ask someone who’s not committed a crime for their ID, let alone force them out of the car, put their hands on them and search them? FWIW zero anti cop sentiment and if you’re going to post some ACAB BS keep it to yourself. It just doesn’t seem right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The story with that is that the cop always assumes all passengers in a car they have stopped have drugs. Don't consent to a search of the car when you know there is something illegal in your car, such as drugs. Failure to do so, won't give your attorney anything to go by like your 4th Amendment rights to defend you in court.

The story with that is that the cop always assumes all passengers in a car they have stopped have drugs. Don't consent to a search of the car when you know there is something illegal in your car, such as drugs. Failure to do so, won't give your attorney anything to go by like your 4th Amendment rights to defend you in court.

Not really what I was asking, but maybe I just don’t know how to ask it. Why would they ask a supposedly presumed innocent passenger for their ID, then handcuff them and threaten them with a trip to jail if they refuse to show it? (just going on one segment I saw on one tv show, no clue if it happens all the time) I understand refusing to identify yourself to police is against the law, but shouldn’t there be some justifiable reason other than they have the opportunity to ask for it just to check you out?

I also don’t like it when I get pulled over by the DPS (very rarely BTW, but it happens) and they ask me every time where I’m going or where I’m coming from. Really none of their business, and if I were going to or coming from committing a crime it’s doubtful I’d mention that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also don’t like it when I get pulled over by the DPS (very rarely BTW, but it happens) and they ask me every time where I’m going or where I’m coming from. Really none of their business, and if I were going to or coming from committing a crime it’s doubtful I’d mention that.
They are trying to get you to talk so they can note inconsistencies with your story later should problems arise. Also checking for slurred speech. Also, some people can't stop themselves from saying incriminating things.

Last edited:
Policing is a sales job.

They are trying to sell their services to the most deserving of clients.

The officer has to assume birds of feather flock together. If there’s evidence of conspiracy between them, some laws allow for all parties in the vehicle to be held. Obviously depending on nature of crime.

If the passenger won’t oblige the salesman, he gets irritated. The possibility of a twofer just became tactically harder.

Back