OSU vs Houston Christian

So question: this is my first chanve to really watch this year...does the offense always stand at the corners and only have the occassional flash or pick at tue ToK?
Seems that allows the other team to stay fresh into the 2nd half.

So question: this is my first chanve to really watch this year...does the offense always stand at the corners and only have the occassional flash or pick at tue ToK?
Essentially, what it all boils down to, is that Boynton should rightfully be fired after the conclusion of the 23-24 season. Unfortunately, massive buyout will prevent that from occuring. We have at least one more year with Boynton. The entire situation is a big-time bummer.

Far too frequently, yes. I hadn't much thought about it keeping the other team fresh for longer, but makes sense you're onto something. What it absolutely does is make us easy to defend because it's just 1-on-1 at the top of the key with an occasional screen. Don't get beat off the dribble and they'll jack up a panic contested 3. Simple.

What I have yet to figure out is what is this offense aiming for or what sets things in motion? Is the idea to actually have then stand there in the corner waiting for a dribble drive and traffic in the lane to leave them open for a kick-out 3? If so its a horrible idea cause we can't shoot. There are some times everyone is moving with a purpose and so is the ball, but it's so infrequent that what play or event makes that happen eludes me.

It’s clear that Jamyron Keller and Javon Small together make this team a ton better. I think we look a tournament team with those 2 guys out there.

And they both seem to make FTs. Could they teach Thompson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s clear that Jamyron Keller and Javon Small together make this team a ton better. I think we look a tournament team with those 2 guys out there.
I think when you add Thompson back into the mix it could be a really potent three guard line up that could score a lot of points and defend at a high level. After seeing Small and Keller both play I have... hope? I think if they continue to play like they have the last couple games we will be a bubble team at worst.

I think when you add Thompson back into the mix it could be a really potent three guard line up that could score a lot of points and defend at a high level. After seeing Small and Keller both play I have... hope? I think if they continue to play like they have the last couple games we will be a bubble team at worst.
I wish Thompson would learn to look around more and pass the ball. I don't like it when he is handling it.

I wish Thompson would learn to look around more and pass the ball. I don't like it when he is handling it.
This is one of my many criticisms of HCMB. Thompson is not explosive. He doesn’t blow by his man 1v1. He doesn’t rise up and shoot over his man. His handles are not what you’d like to see (high dribble and too out in front). He has an excellent mid range and above average floater. Yet we rarely run sets where he’s off ball and receives multiple screens to get to his spot.

When he starts down and we screen him to the elbow and get him the ball w his feet moving good things happen. He scores or gets to his floater range. Once those shots become available he gets more comfortable from 3 and will go on a hot streak.

Yet we continue to force his action w the ball in his hands.

With Small and Keller we should utilize Thompson more off ball and give him options off screens. Maybe we see that going forward.

This is one of my many criticisms of HCMB. Thompson is not explosive. He doesn’t blow by his man 1v1. He doesn’t rise up and shoot over his man. His handles are not what you’d like to see (high dribble and too out in front). He has an excellent mid range and above average floater. Yet we rarely run sets where he’s off ball and receives multiple screens to get to his spot.

When he starts down and we screen him to the elbow and get him the ball w his feet moving good things happen. He scores or gets to his floater range. Once those shots become available he gets more comfortable from 3 and will go on a hot streak.

Yet we continue to force his action w the ball in his hands.

With Small and Keller we should utilize Thompson more off ball and give him options off screens. Maybe we see that going forward.
Also, better than average chance he straight falls down or dibbles the ball off his knee/foot/nothing, resulting in a turnover. I thought about keeping track of how many times both of those occurred this season, but aint nobody got time for that.

I'm excited to see how Keller develops. He is already impressing IMO in limited showings. Sneaky athletic and aggressive in the paint. Hope he has an outside stroke we can work with to keep defenses honest.

Also, better than average chance he straight falls down or dibbles the ball off his knee/foot/nothing, resulting in a turnover. I thought about keeping track of how many times both of those occurred this season, but aint nobody got time for that.

I'm excited to see how Keller develops. He is already impressing IMO in limited showings. Sneaky athletic and aggressive in the paint. Hope he has an outside stroke we can work with to keep defenses honest.
The thing that impresses me most about Keller so far is he is patient and picks his spots. He’s not shot hunting on a floor w 4 hunters.

I’ve heard HCMB say he doesn’t believe in role players and it looks like everyone has a green light all the time so if you’re an 18-19 yo kid you’re going to shoot. This causes bad shots. Ill timed shots. And the ball sticks bc of the “I’ve got to get mine” mentality.

If you took small, Keller, Thompson, Williams, Wright, Williams, daily, Dow and marsh and effectively managed that roster you’d have a solid team.

I’ve heard HCMB say he doesn’t believe in role players
I haven’t heard this before but it explains a lot. What an ignorant take. Role players are vital in all levels of basketball, perhaps most at the college level. Basically we always have 5 guys out there that have no idea what their job is. Makes sense that we have so many guys making boneheaded decisions.

Back