Hog Hunters

gopokes83

You guys that go out and shoot 15-20 hogs at a time, there’s only so much pork a family can use. What do you do with all those carcasses? Do they just lay there and the other hogs and buzzards eat them ? Do you donate the meat somewhere, or is there someone who buys them? Do you have to field dress them and how long does that take? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys that go out and shoot 15-20 hogs at a time, there’s only so much pork a family can use. What do you do with all those carcasses? Do they just lay there and the other hogs and buzzards eat them ? Do you donate the meat somewhere, or is there someone who buys them? Do you have to field dress them and how long does that take? Just curious.

I won't touch them, they're the most foul smelling beast ever. I'd rather clean and eat a skunk...

First no one I know kills 15-20 at a time. Two of us pick which hogs we’re shooting. Once the first shot is fired they scatter quickly. Any additional hogs are taken by rapid great shots. On our lease it’s quite a ways to the river, so generally we just let them lay. The coyotes and other critters consume and scatter the remains in short order. We’ve trapped a few, one of the guys took two piglets, raised them, butchered them, and ate them. But feral hogs are nasty and destructive . On the adjacent property the department of wildlife was shooting from helicopters. I’ve seen video of 15-20 being killed at once using binary explosives with shrapnel, but not rifles.

It's knowing which one to shoot first. Watched a guy do it one night. Killed the dominate sow and the others stayed around while he shot them.

First no one I know kills 15-20 at a time. Two of us pick which hogs we’re shooting. Once the first shot is fired they scatter quickly. Any additional hogs are taken by rapid great shots. On our lease it’s quite a ways to the river, so generally we just let them lay. The coyotes and other critters consume and scatter the remains in short order. We’ve trapped a few, one of the guys took two piglets, raised them, butchered them, and ate them. But feral hogs are nasty and destructive . On the adjacent property the department of wildlife was shooting from helicopters. I’ve seen video of 15-20 being killed at once using binary explosives with shrapnel, but not rifles.

My nephew tells me he gets 8-10 many times, plus whatever the guys he’s with get. He was a sniper in the Army and they shoot very long range so maybe that factors into his high counts. He’s always got parts of one on the smoker, but it doesn’t help. I never thought to ask him what they do with the rest.

you have a very fine memory sir! What's kind of gangster/cartel-like is if you kill the sow with the most choates, when she finally lays down and starts to expire, the choates think she's ready to feed them again and they all come back to her one by one and well, you can guess the rest. Easy way to lay down 10-15 in one group, sniper or not. I killed 10 total with a bolt action .223 one night, 2x5 round magazines :).

30% of Mississippi feral hogs carry Brucellosis so we don't eat them down here.

I've been several times to a property near me (I don't live in OK) where sometimes we kill 30+ hogs in a day. Shooters (it's not hunting) have the option of keeping any pigs they shoot, but members of a church butcher everything and distribute the meat as a food bank.

The hogs really are a problem; so, shooting them and dumping them somewhere to rot isn't a waste.

Last edited:
I've been several times to a property near me (I don't live in OK) where sometimes we kill 30+ hogs in a day. Shooters (it's not hunting) have to option of keeping any pigs they shoot, but members of a church butcher everything and distribute the meat as a food bank.

The hogs really are a problem; so, shooting them and dumping them somewhere to rot isn't a waste.
How do they make them edible? There is nothing nastier than a wild pig. I might eat a skunk before a wild pig.

How do they make them edible? There is nothing nastier than a wild pig. I might eat a skunk before a wild pig.
I've always given them my hogs, and I have never had any of the meat. I'm not sure how they actually prepare it. The church appears to be mostly Philipino immigrants.

Most of the locals that I know that harvest feral hogs just make sausage out of it.

Back