Great article about Coach G and new direction!

I'll summarize if you don't have Oklahoman:

He didn't watch the disastrous play against Texas until at a coaches clinic six months later.

The real problem was how the team crumbled after that. He admitted that team was talented, but had no foundation, including among coaches. Sounded like he didn't get along with Cottrill well.

Hired an offseason group to come and do team building activities. He discovered he didn't have a set of core values for the team (kind of stunning, really)

Now they are "The Cowgirl Way: Relentless. Excellence. Passion."

Says it starts with him. I'm thrilled to read this. I know he's a great softball guy, and the players all love him, but I always sensed something wasn't quite there. I think you're seeing the benefit so far this season.

I'll summarize if you don't have Oklahoman:

He didn't watch the disastrous play against Texas until at a coaches clinic six months later.

The real problem was how the team crumbled after that. He admitted that team was talented, but had no foundation, including among coaches. Sounded like he didn't get along with Cottrill well.

Hired an offseason group to come and do team building activities. He discovered he didn't have a set of core values for the team (kind of stunning, really)

Now they are "The Cowgirl Way: Relentless. Excellence. Passion."

Says it starts with him. I'm thrilled to read this. I know he's a great softball guy, and the players all love him, but I always sensed something wasn't quite there. I think you're seeing the benefit so far this season.
The more I read about coach G the more I think he will be our Patty Gasso. He is always looking for ways to get better and doesn’t settle. Many coaches would take the success we are having and just roll with what you have been doing since it was successful. Coach G is always looking to improve himself and his team. Humble dude that works his butt off

Back