US Supreme Court backs Black voters in challenge to Alabama electoral map

Polds4OSU

Marshall
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday handed a major victory to Black voters who challenged a Republican-drawn electoral map in Alabama, finding that the state violated a landmark federal law prohibiting racial discrimination in voting.

The 5-4 ruling affirmed a lower court's decision that the map diluted the voting power of Black Alabamians, running afoul of a bedrock U.S. civil rights law, the 1965 Voting Rights Act. Chief Justice John Roberts wrote the ruling, which was joined by fellow conservative Justice Brett Kavanaugh and the court's three liberal members Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan and Ketanji Brown Jackson.

With Thursday's ruling, the Supreme Court elected not to further roll back protections contained in the Voting Rights Act as it had done in two major rulings in the past decade. The decision centered upon Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act, a provision aimed at countering measures that result in racial bias in voting even absent racist intent.

"We find Alabama's new approach to (Section 2) compelling neither in theory nor in practice," Roberts wrote. "We accordingly decline to recast our (Section 2) case law as Alabama requests."

At issue was the map approved in 2021 by the Republican-controlled state legislature setting the boundaries of Alabama's seven U.S. House of Representatives districts. The map featured one majority-Black district, with six majority-white districts, even though Black people comprised 27% of the state's population. The lower court ordered Alabama to configure a second House district where Black voters could hold a majority or close to it.

The Voting Rights Act was passed at a time when Southern states including Alabama enforced policies blocking Black people from casting ballots. Nearly six decades later, race remains a contentious issue in American politics and society more broadly.

Conservative states and groups had previously succeeded in prodding the Supreme Court to limit the Voting Rights Act's scope. Its 2013 ruling in another Alabama case struck down a key part that determined which states with histories of racial discrimination needed federal approval to change voting laws. In a 2021 ruling endorsing Republican-backed Arizona voting restrictions, the justices made it harder to prove violations under Section 2.

The Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision in February 2022, had let Alabama use its disputed map for the U.S. congressional elections in November in which Republicans narrowly regained control of the U.S. House.

In the ruling on Thursday, two consolidated cases before the Supreme Court involved challenges brought by Black voters and advocacy groups accusing the state of violating Section 2.

The challengers said Alabama's map reduced the influence of Black voters by concentrating their voting power in one district while distributing the rest of the Black population in other districts at levels too small to form a majority.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday handed a major victory to Black voters who challenged a Republican-drawn electoral map in Alabama, finding that the state violated a landmark federal law prohibiting racial discrimination in voting.

The 5-4 ruling affirmed a lower court's decision that the map diluted the voting power of Black Alabamians, running afoul of a bedrock U.S. civil rights law, the 1965 Voting Rights Act. Chief Justice John Roberts wrote the ruling, which was joined by fellow conservative Justice Brett Kavanaugh and the court's three liberal members Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan and Ketanji Brown Jackson.

With Thursday's ruling, the Supreme Court elected not to further roll back protections contained in the Voting Rights Act as it had done in two major rulings in the past decade. The decision centered upon Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act, a provision aimed at countering measures that result in racial bias in voting even absent racist intent.

"We find Alabama's new approach to (Section 2) compelling neither in theory nor in practice," Roberts wrote. "We accordingly decline to recast our (Section 2) case law as Alabama requests."

At issue was the map approved in 2021 by the Republican-controlled state legislature setting the boundaries of Alabama's seven U.S. House of Representatives districts. The map featured one majority-Black district, with six majority-white districts, even though Black people comprised 27% of the state's population. The lower court ordered Alabama to configure a second House district where Black voters could hold a majority or close to it.

The Voting Rights Act was passed at a time when Southern states including Alabama enforced policies blocking Black people from casting ballots. Nearly six decades later, race remains a contentious issue in American politics and society more broadly.

Conservative states and groups had previously succeeded in prodding the Supreme Court to limit the Voting Rights Act's scope. Its 2013 ruling in another Alabama case struck down a key part that determined which states with histories of racial discrimination needed federal approval to change voting laws. In a 2021 ruling endorsing Republican-backed Arizona voting restrictions, the justices made it harder to prove violations under Section 2.

The Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision in February 2022, had let Alabama use its disputed map for the U.S. congressional elections in November in which Republicans narrowly regained control of the U.S. House.

In the ruling on Thursday, two consolidated cases before the Supreme Court involved challenges brought by Black voters and advocacy groups accusing the state of violating Section 2.

The challengers said Alabama's map reduced the influence of Black voters by concentrating their voting power in one district while distributing the rest of the Black population in other districts at levels too small to form a majority.

For those with more political/historical understanding, what can the normal citizen do today to help re-shape districts more "correctly"? What even is a "correct" district map, and who would determine it? Surely the current elected officials wouldn't fully support such efforts, because they have necessarily benefited from the current configurations.

Hey @CowboyJD - why the reaction bombing? I'm asking how to help the issue, and would like to hear what practical things we can do to make this better. Care to discuss?

Gerrymandering is alive and well...
Agreed. Its dumb, and should be abolished. But I have questions...
1. what is a "correct" district, and who determines is?
2. what can the average citizen do today to assist in getting rid of them?

I've seen a few groups such as RepresentUs that seek a better system, but its all grass roots. It seems like such movements are the only path forward. Elected officials have no incentive to change a system by which they came to power.

Agreed. Its dumb, and should be abolished. But I have questions...
1. what is a "correct" district, and who determines is?
2. what can the average citizen do today to assist in getting rid of them?

I've seen a few groups such as RepresentUs that seek a better system, but its all grass roots. It seems like such movements are the only path forward. Elected officials have no incentive to change a system by which they came to power.
1. a 'correct' district tries to match the demographics of a certain area, and I think you know that the elected officials (ok legislators in our case) are in charge of redistricting. They change it to help themselves (party in majority)...just look at 5th district in Ok...went from leaning R to solid R and instead of Bice sweating it out again, it was an easy win.
2. the average citizen?? I think you know this as well...NOT MUCH...contact OK legislation...protest...it ain't changing nothing in this RED state (I'm just using Ok cuz we r in Okie land, there are plenty of BLUE states that do the same thing...

1. a 'correct' district tries to match the demographics of a certain area, and I think you know that the elected officials (ok legislators in our case) are in charge of redistricting. They change it to help themselves (party in majority)...just look at 5th district in Ok...went from leaning R to solid R and instead of Bice sweating it out again, it was an easy win.
2. the average citizen?? I think you know this as well...NOT MUCH...contact OK legislation...protest...it ain't changing nothing in this RED state (I'm just using Ok cuz we r in Okie land, there are plenty of BLUE states that do the same thing...
1. I understand who does it now. I'm asking what people think a reformed system could look like, and to see if other ideas exist that I hadn't seen before. It seems there's a conflict of interests with legislators redistricting, and it would be preferable to not let them take part in that effort. If they aren't in control of it, who could be?
2. People can't focus on every issue at once. There can only be so many protests. For now, people are protesting the issues that give them the most fear and hate due (mostly) to the fact that its what the media and politicians understand will generate the strongest reactions. I doubt gerrymandering gets the majority of citizens upset enough to protest, so this continues ad infinitum. At this point it has nothing to do with red/blue, its simply about protecting or growing the power structures, and using the population to pay the bills.

Looks like SCOTUS is doing the same in Louisiana as well.

Supreme Court unfreezes Louisiana redistricting case that could boost power of Black voters​

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court on Monday lifted its hold on a Louisiana case that could force the state to redraw congressional districts to boost Black voting power.

The order follows the court's rejection earlier in June of a congressional redistricting map in Alabama and unfreezes the Louisiana case, which had been on hold pending the decision in Alabama.

In both states, Black voters are a majority in just one congressional district. Lower courts had ruled that the maps raised concerns that Black voting power had been diluted, in violation of the landmark federal Voting Rights Act.

About a third of Louisiana's residents are Black. More than one in four Alabamians are Black.

The justices put the Louisiana case on hold and allowed the state's challenged map to be used in last year's elections after they agreed to hear the Alabama case.

The case had separately been appealed to the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans. The justices said that appeal now could go forward in advance of next year's congressional elections.

Back